JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
57A3942A-D491-44B7-9843-5006254B8689.jpeg For those of you curious about the sound levels of 22 ammo here are the results of a simple, non-scientific test I did today.

dB levels of various cci 22 rounds in a HK/Walther 416 pistol (9" barrel). Sound level measured with Iphone app (NIOSH) about 15' away and to the side of the gun. All shots from the same spot and same target. 1 round each, not an average. Keep in mind that dB scale is logarythmic so even small changes can be quite dramatic to the ear (not going to get into details of percieved noise blah blah blah). Obviously taking an average of more rounds would give more accurate results but I couldn't be bothered. I'll try to repeat this with a suppressor in the future and maybe shoot more shots with each bullet type.

CCI Blazer high velocity - 104dB

CCI standard velocity - 1070 fps 40 gr - 101.9 dB

CCI Quiet 22 - 710 fps 40gr - 94.3 dB

CCI Suppressor - 970 fps 45gr - 99.8 dB

CCI target 22 short - 830 fps 29gr - 92.9 dB

CCI CB long - 710 fps 29gr - 89.4 dB

CCI CB short - 710 29 gr - 89.7 dB

Last Edited:
CCI Quiets in my 22 inch long barrel are quieter than my .22 air gun.

Same here out of my 22" barreled 10/22. Not enough energy to cycle the bolt, but sometimes enough to open it and get a jam of some sort. All you hear is the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target.

I can see the bullet in flight on a 50 yard range and watch it drop.

I've gotten the, "was that a pellet gun?", response from people.

Same here out of my 22" barreled 10/22. Not enough energy to cycle the bolt, but sometimes enough to open it and get a jam of some sort. All you hear is the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target.

I use them in and old H&R bolt gun. So quiet you could shoot in the city, with a bullet trap at 25 yards... but I never!

Definitely a revolver or bolt gun round.

Those 22" barrels would be good candidates to use segmented 22 quiets in. I shot a 2 pound-ish rodent with one yesterday and they are pretty devastating even in the quiet/lower power version. They almost always split into three parts on impact. I haven't shot the full power version of the segmented bullet but the segmented quiets are the bees knees for rodent control.

Fisherman's marine in Milwaukie has them (quiet version) but I haven't seen them anywhere else in-store. Tnoutddoors9 has a ballistic gel test with them (full power version) on YouTube that shows how they split.

Those 22" barrels would be good candidates to use segmented 22 quiets in. I shot a 2 pound-ish rodent with one yesterday and they are pretty devastating even in the quiet/lower power version. They almost always split into three parts on impact. I haven't shot the full power version of the segmented bullet but the segmented quiets are the bees knees for rodent control.

Fisherman's marine in Milwaukie has them but I haven't seen them anywhere else in-store. Tnoutddoors9 has a ballistic gel test with them (full power version) on YouTube that shows how they split.
Sounds like a nasty round!

I also find the sound level of the Quiets from my old Remington 580 on par or slightly less than my .25 Benjamin PCP air rifle. Power is about the same, too, plus the Quiets drop like a rock past 25 yards or so. Tried the segmented HP's, too, using one gallon milk jugs full of water at 25 yards, they passed right through both sides just like the solids, no expansion or break-up. The air rifle tends to split the jugs open. Might be different on critters, but I find the air rifle more effective and accurate for dealing with garden raiders. Definitely a short range plinking only round, and useless in semi-autos, although I guess you could use them for malfunction drills. Later.

Dave

CCI's in my rifle with can is pretty darn quiet!

Subs.... even more so but wildly inaccurate.

CCI Blazer high velocity - 104dB
CCI standard velocity - 1070 fps 40 gr - 101.9 dB
CCI Quiet 22 - 710 fps 40gr - 94.3 dB
CCI Suppressor - 970 fps 45gr - 99.8 dB
CCI target 22 short - 830 fps 29gr - 92.9 dB
CCI CB long - 710 fps 29gr - 89.4 dB
CCI CB short - 710 29 gr - 89.7 dB

FYI not trying geek out about sound, but I did find some good resources about how much sound reduction suppressors make.

Most suppressors claim from 30-40 db reduction. I researched about 7 of the .22 silencer options and most of the ones that I saw claimed a 31 to 34db reduction.

So if we use this rule of thumb*: "2 x (db reduction /10) = perceived reduction in sound", then a 30db reduction would be a perceived sound level 6 times less. That's a massive difference (and yes, we already know this without the math ha ha).

So looking at the different ammo Dbs levels above (not suppressed) the difference from the cci blazer to the cci quiet is about 10db, which equates to about half the perceived sound.

*Rule of thumb taken from here: Converting Decibels to Sound Intensities

"And if you ever want to calculate how much louder you perceive one sound as compared to another you can do it by using the following formula. perceived x-fold volume increase = 2 (ending dB value – starting dB value)/10"

Last Edited:
. ...
So if we use this rule of thumb*: "2 x (db reduction /10) = perceived reduction in sound"...

I did a mini-test today to compare sound levels between a 3.5" barrel pistol and a 16" barrel rifle in a friend's closed garage into a silent target (duct seal).

Cci cb long was 113.9 Db from the 3.5" barrel and 96.2 Db from the 16" barrel.

According to the rule of thumb formula above, thats is roughy 4 times quieter from the longer barrel (for cblong).

This one data point certainly shows what others have been saying above about long barrels reducing sound.

I remember shooting cb shorts from my 22" barrelled 10/22 years ago. It was so quiet i had to check the barrel after every shot i didnt see hit the target just to make sure it wasnt a squib (can happen with real weak ammo in long barrels so be careful with stuff like that Aguila subsonic ammo that is only moving at 450 fps (or whatever fps it is).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads