JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL! Nice one Tac, and yes, I do know. I showed my Grandson exactly what happens by contaminating three of them with 3 in 1 oil, placing them on a concrete slab, covered them with burlap, put his shooting glasses on and gave him a hammer.

Well nutz! My computer shut down before I could add the rest.
The primers were placed face down on the concrete, covered with burlap, and when he struck them, two detonated and one didn't. I'd done this test before some 40 years ago with 10 LR primers. 6 of them detonated and 4 didn't, so.......... what does that tell us, if anything?

Edited to add:
That was direct contamination, not the possible transient type you'd *possibly* get from straightforward reloading. Lot of difference there.

Last Edited:
It tells you that the results are unpredictable. Or, as my old science teacher [an unwitting fan of Yogi Berra] once noted, 'sometimes they are predictable, and sometimes they are not.'

It's like the 'science' of predicting the falling slices of buttered bread. One slice falling has a 50/50 chance which side it falls on. How many options do ten slices of bread have to fall on?

I'll leave you with that, while I get back to scraping old varnish off a couple of tables......

tac

There's also the concern of the powder and how it will be affected.

Going boom, and going boom with enough burn consistentcy to keep your velocity within a small fluctuation are quite different.

I've still got some loads sitting here for the 6.5 creed that I loaded up about 3-4 weeks ago using a method that a member here has given me pause about.

I'm eager to try them out in a week or so to see if in fact the ballistics will change at all, or if it's a non issue if possibly there was a little residue left over from using my lanolin mixture inside as well as outside the cases.

I know accuracy was not affected at all @ 100 yds one week after the loads were made.

I'll retest accuracy, but more importantly re-check velocity and velocity spread with the Magnetospeed. I'm hoping I don't find any discernible difference, because those bullets seated slicker than snot, and there was only a variance of +\- .001" in seating depth.

That made me VERY happy! :D

One thing I've said 1000 times on this subject, is there's many ways to skin this cat. The important thing to remember is it needs to be clean and uniform. How you get there, and how many steps it takes is left entirely up to the hand loader.

Take a primed case....... put a few drops of oil in the bottom......... shake it out..... chamber it in your rifle or handgun....... pull the trigger and see what happens.

It's good way to oil the bore well for long term storage?

One thing I've said 1000 times on this subject, is there's many ways to skin this cat. The important thing to remember is it needs to be clean and uniform.

I tried that, once. Got all scratched up. And the cat never spoke to me again.

There's also the concern of the powder and how it will be affected.

Going boom, and going boom with enough burn consistentcy to keep your velocity within a small fluctuation are quite different.

I've still got some loads sitting here for the 6.5 creed that I loaded up about 3-4 weeks ago using a method that a member here has given me pause about.

I'm eager to try them out in a week or so to see if in fact the ballistics will change at all, or if it's a non issue if possibly there was a little residue left over from using my lanolin mixture inside as well as outside the cases.

I know accuracy was not affected at all @ 100 yds one week after the loads were made.

I'll retest accuracy, but more importantly re-check velocity and velocity spread with the Magnetospeed. I'm hoping I don't find any discernible difference, because those bullets seated slicker than snot, and there was only a variance of +\- .001" in seating depth.

That made me VERY happy! :D

I'm subscribed until you make that shooting session. This is how I learn in this intriguing hobby, by the actions of others.;)

One thing that's not mentioned is a case prep center. This is an invaluable tool and should be considered, whether you are just starting out or if you're an old dog. Try one, you'll be glad you did. My favorite is the Frankford arsenal and it's saved me hours of grief.

Last Edited:
The remaining variable is something I'll have to find. Too much re-typing for these fingers. I have it archived in a place I'd never forget. LOL
Anyhoo...... It's an important part of our precision reloading here at SP......... neck tension.

I've used Brasso and Flits, added to my walnut. I did not notice any difference between either one and plain media.
Never tried rice.
Tried cellulose clumping cat litter - works better than walnut, but what a dusty, frickin' mess (supposedly dust free litter).
Since moving to stainless wet tumbling, I have given away my vibratory tumbler and media.

Has anyone tumbled brass with Brasso and hard white rice as a medium?
Were there any problems?
Gabby

I have not used Brasso well tumbling but wood assume that it would be good for the, wait for it, brass.:eek:
I use corn cob media exclusively and I mix a cup of Jasmine rice into my mix. The jasmine rice is larger and harder then the regular long grain rice and so far no rice stuck in the flash holes like the long grain rice.:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top