JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings all,

A quick search didn't bring up anything on car wax, so I thought I'd throw this out. I'm sort of a 'car guy' to the extent that I like to keep our modest vehicles looking as sharp as I can as schedule allows. That includes routine washing and waxing, both for appearance, and to some degree a protectant.

The 'good ol' days' of clay bars and wearing your elbow out with that tin of Turtle Wax paste are pretty much ancient technology for most of us. I'm busy as all get out, and just don't have the time...

But now, we've probably never had it so good, with many products on the market. I looked into a few, and settled on the Turtle Wax line (no affiliation with TW at all). First it started with the Ice & Shine (black bottle) as it had solid reviews, it was very inexpensive (like $6-$7/bottle), and fairly easily applied. It is still a very good product IMHO (and found out they came out with a 'new/improved' version for 2020) and probably the best 'bang for the buck.'.

But this year, I switched to the TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating. I'm in the process of applying to a fourth vehicle (family wide). Gotta say, thus far, I'm satisfied. Goes on as advertised, and good results so far. I've had two occasions where tree sap landed on the vehicle with TW products, and it wiped off easily.

As our vehicles are exposed to the PNW elements pretty much year round, I'm hoping this is a decent investment in maintaining paint/exterior. Winter is closer than you think.

So in summary:

- Ease of prep - nothing super fancy...I wash with a Mother's Speed Clay 2.0 before, and that's about it. I'm sure if I put more time/effort in, might get a little better results, but probably diminishing returns in this department for 'average' vehicles.
- Easy, fast application - wipe on, wipe off - no real buffing, etc. Real time saver.
- Can be applied to pretty much everything...plastic, glass, etc.
- Fairly cheap...a ~$15 bottle can do multiple vehicles.
- Nice smell - something like mangos.
- It's part of a line...I use along with the TW Hybrid Solutions Wash & Wax (car wash).
- Nice shine, smoothness, and durability rating.
- 12 Months of protection (with 2 coats)

This guy does a pretty good review:

Questions, comments, concerns?

Using something else? Better?

Cheers,
Boss

Where is it made?

'Merica :). USA, believe the Seal & Shine says 'with Global Components.'

Also, in case it makes any difference, the Seal & Shine uses Carnauba, while the Ceramic uses synthetic wax polymers.

I applied a second coat of the Ceramic yesterday to one of the family 'average' size cars, and all told the application took a little over an hour (not including the wash/chamois before)....but that was with a good amount of overlap (I basically did it twice) including wheels and door sills. Had my time been more limited, I probably could have done it in ~45min.

If we get a good weekend maybe at towards the end of Sept., I might apply a third coat. But along with the Hybrid Solutions Wash, it should be good for about a year.

Boss

I myself use meguiars hybrid ceramic wax with great results. Super hydrophobic, water just beads and blow right off. Easy application also.

I myself use meguiars hybrid ceramic wax with great results. Super hydrophobic, water just beads and blow right off. Easy application also.

Yeah, they have good stuff as well.

I think I went with TW due to the durability/chemical resistance, application and price initially on the Seal & Shine (~$6 - value leader). The TW Ceramic in particular is just literally a couple sprays per panel/area, wipe on/spread with 1 microfiber towel, give it a secondary wipe with another microfiber towel, and done...no waiting, no real buffing for streaks etc. Also, while I generally apply in the shade or evening, IIRC they say the TW Ceramic can be applied in direct sunlight/heat as well.

Either way, some good products out there to be sure.

Boss

Last Edited:
Has anyone tried the ceramic on glass?
- an application like RainX ( a product I personally loath )

I apply it to pretty much the entire exterior (except the tires and roof rack), including the glass. It works similar to RainX and all the surfaces are very smooth. Tho I don't expect the areas under where the wipers rub across the glass to last 12 months.

The above video (and couple of Pan's others) do a pretty good job covering the TW products.

IMHO, The RainX combo glass cleaner/rain repellant stuff is pretty decent. The straight rain repellant is kind of a pain.

Boss

Last Edited:
Also, in case it makes any difference, the Seal & Shine uses Carnauba, while the Ceramic uses synthetic wax polymers.

I just put a coat of the Seal & Shine with the Carnabua on my 97 F 250 this afternoon. Just sprayed it on and then wiped it with one of the wax pad things. Let it sit about 20 minutes then took the buffer to it and it looks pretty good.

I both sprayed it on and wiped it and just sprayed it on and let it dry. Much easier getting the the shine up and a good buff on it when I wiped it after applying it. Don't know how much difference it will be, but I have been wanting to get a coat of wax on there for quite some time.

I think I will do the wife's Explorer tomorrow, should be good for the winter then.

EDIT: The buffer did not do a good job after I got to looking at it. It was still hazed in spots, so I started it when good old fashioned tee shirt and took a bit more work, but the buffer simply can't do. What I then also noticed was that the Carnabuna had been on there at while, and as I worked the haze out of it, there will all these very small bits of some type of defects on the paint surface, but really just my lazy azz not waxing a vehicle. That all started coming off and with working it by hand, pretty happy with how it is turning out.

This is a 23 year old Ford metallic base paint that has some spots, mainly on drivers side from where it was parked in AZ for several winters. The wax has helped for sure.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads