Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Can you "file share" Between 2 computers with different Operating systems?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by glockguy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a Desktop with Windows Vista home Premium, and I just bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it... Now can i set up file sharing between the two? or do they have to be the same operating system? and if i can how to i set it up? id rather not have to save everything to an external drive and transfer it that way but i will if i have to i guess..

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Yes, just be sure that the network name is setup the same for both PCs.

3. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

Yep. I have a laptop with windows 7, a desktop with Vista, and a PS3 all networked and sharing.

4. glockguy

So how do I allow myself to view each computers Hard drive? I have clicked on each one and said to share, but when I go to click on it from the other computer a little thing pops up n says I do not have permission to access and to contact the Administrator for permission... Sooo how do i give my self permission to access my own files lol

5. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

You'll have to specifically share each folder you want seen between the two machines. I don't believe in sharing entire drives, especially drives with the OS on them, but you can.

I've found Win7 to be a bit touchy sharing sometimes. My personal network has all XP machines and one 7...but the 7 is the server. Because of that I actually had to create a separate account ON the 7 machine that the rest of the network logs into, but then file sharing is fine at that point.

6. Celtic Armory

Celtic Armory Port Orchard, WA Member

Actually the answer is yes and no. If you have a Windows system, a Linux system and a Mac system, the Linux and Mac will easily see the Windows data, but unless you set up the Linux and Mac OS to use a Windows file system, Windows won't see their data. I have a dual boot system with XP and Ubuntu. From Ubuntu I can read anything on my Windows system, but in XP it doesn't even see the Linux system.

7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Hamachi is a good solution for cross-platform filesharing.

8. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

It's possible that all of the machines don't have the same network name. Check that first.

9. glockguy

the slight difference between vista and Windows 7 is kind of confusing loli wish someone could just do it :( lol