JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon law prohibits carrying concealed "dirks, daggers, slung-shots, clubs," and switchblades, but is silent about ordinary sized fixed blades, like a hunting knife, or even a big bowie knife. Having a double-edge blade seems to be the legal sinker. Oregon law says nothing about length of blade, though some cities have their own laws about length.

Last year a fellow in Salem was convicted of carrying a hunting knife concealed up his coat sleeve as he walked home from work late at night---but the conviction was reversed upon appeal. The court stated that he had a right to defend himself and carrying a fixed blade knife concealed was not a crime......................elsullo :s0155:

Oregon law prohibits carrying concealed "dirks, daggers, slung-shots, clubs," and switchblades, but is silent about ordinary sized fixed blades, like a hunting knife, or even a big bowie knife. Having a double-edge blade seems to be the legal sinker. Oregon law says nothing about length of blade, though some cities have their own laws about length.
Does Oregon law actually delineate the legal difference between "knife" and "dagger"? If so, are the traditional (if incorrect) definitions of single edge (knife) and double edge (dagger) used? If that's the case, then I really can't help but laugh--sadly--at the fact that I could apparently legally wander around with a langseax hidden under my packet, but not a three inch sgian dubh.

The Oregon statutes are not that hard to read, and are linked here on this site in several places. "Dirk and dagger" are not well defined even in my Webster's College Dictionary---double edge is not specified there, but the statute seems to imply it to me anyway. Even certain single-edge knives are prohibited from concealed carry, such as "gravity or inertia" knives like balisongs, and any push-button "switchblade" knives. The kicker here is that all of these ARE legal to carry openly on the belt or in a belt sheath, and apparently even by just showing a top end and pocket clip! Wearing a coat would be concealing those, however.

The best news is that "assisted-opening" knives are perfectly legal to carry concealed and have no statutory size limits, except for possible local city laws. The United States Congress just passed a resolution stating that these are NOT switchblades and cannot be prosecuted as such by the US Customs and Immigration Service. This was caused by a massive public outcry and pressure upon their Congressmen. Never say that writing them does no good!........................elsullo :winkkiss:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top