JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I get disappointed when I hear, "Can you make me a Kabar?". Yes, of course I can.

But for $165 you can get a new model made of D2 or for $70 you can get an old model out of 1095. Why would you want one out of 80CRV2 or 52100? Sure it is going to be 0.250" +- instead of 5/32", but come on... Blarg.

Almost bought a new model and JB weld filled in the stamp marks, Ceracoted it and put a new handle on it. But I do have some standards.

Cheers! Thanks for letting me rant.

I get disappointed when I hear, "Can you make me a Kabar?". Yes, of course I can.

But for $165 you can get a new model made of D2 or for $70 you can get an old model out of 1095. Why would you want one out of 80CRV2 or 52100? Sure it is going to be 0.250" +- instead of 5/32", but come on... Blarg.

Almost bought a new model and JB weld filled in the stamp marks, Ceracoted it and put a new handle on it. But I do have some standards.

I would imagine, like me, some of us wouldn't know the difference in metals and other details you listed. 80CRV2 sounds like a watch battery to me. ;)

Might be about having their own unique knife, not something mass-produced.

Keep your standards. They're getting rarer.

A LOT of people just have no concept of what hand making anything involves. Being a machinist for a long time I can't count the times someone would ask me to make them some simple thing. Something that was easily just bought. When I would tell them just buy it some would get real mad. Often trying to explain that making something they could buy for $10 would be many hours of work to make from scratch and if making one? :confused:

Lets not get started on metal fabrication. "I want a gate and fence for the front of my house." "Well steel will cost you 2,350. My 50 hours costs 6,250 and you wanted that powder coated, so it is an install, a removal, sand blast and powder coat and a reinstall at 1,275. So, 9,875." "WHAT! That is just outrageous!!"

I don't mind paying the premium for high quality items. Hand made. Even better. 1/4" thick K-bar made to my liking? I'd easy pay 5-6 hundred. I recognize and appreciate the labor and skill that goes into that kind of work.

That cold steel tanto made by a master smith with an eye toward perfection? He could name his price. I already have both the san mai and the original flat grind. Great blades, well made. Handles suck. They get slick with sweat or whatever, it's like trying to hold on to an eel.

@308n45 Do you work in wrought Iron? Your price seems reasonable for custom work. And I'm going to want a nicely done gate after the house gets built.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top