JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided to borrow a borescope from my friend to take a look inside one of my rifles. I was convinced this rifle had very clean bore. I was wrong. I always clean rifles after every range trip, but now I am realizing that most of cleaning products are useless "snake oil salesman products" that do not remove carbon buildup. Can this carbon buildup cleaned? So far I tried multiple products and bronze brushes, but no luck. This barrel is about to be replaced with a custom barrel, but I want to use it to experiment finding best cleaning products, so in the future I know what cleaning products are good. Montana Extreme Copper Removal is #1 for copper removal, but it could not do anything for carbon buildup. Birchwood Bore Scrubber, Hoppes 9 and Lucas Bore Solvents are useless for carbon and copper fouling.

20220214_185528.jpg

I have no personal experience with this product but it claims to remove carbon.

Soak with solvent (C4, Hoppes, whatever) and let the barrel sit for a few minutes. Then apply bore paste (JB, Iosso, etc.) to a nylon (or bronze) brush. Work this into the bore. I reverse directions (this takes some elbow grease on some bore/brush combos) and pay particular attention to the first 1/3 of the barrel. Clean with solvent & dry patches. Check with your scope and repeat if necessary. Go down the rabbit hole and you'll see there are quite a few methods/opinions. Check out this link to get you started.

Good luck.

OK, you asked for it, my super secret sauce for cleaning out the nastiest chunky barrels ever!
1644906934048.png
Get ya a tin of this stuff, tear off a chunk and wrap TIGHTLY around a smaller caliber nylon brush and work it through the barrel both directions, keep at it till it's spotless! Helps to heat the barrel with a heat gun, do it out of the stock and try to get the heat as even as you can, almost too hot to touch is just about right! Careful this stuff is amazing and will polish things you didn't think could take a polish, must be used in a vented room or outside!

It funny that I am a chemist and have access to any chemical you can think of. Acetone and DCM (Dichloromethane) might be to strong for rifle. I will first try JB paste and then Metal Polish product that Ura-Ki suggested above (can't heat the barrel since I live in an apartment). This barrel is going for a replacement at the end of tis months, but this time I want to learn, so I can keep my barrels clean. Copper removal is easy, but this carbon removal is very tough. Interestingly, I bore-scoped all my rifles this evening and the only two that had a lot of carbon buildup and fire-cracking were both Tikka's.

OK, you asked for it, my super secret sauce for cleaning out the nastiest chunky barrels ever!
View attachment 1132009
Get ya a tin of this stuff, tear off a chunk and wrap TIGHTLY around a smaller caliber nylon brush and work it through the barrel both directions, keep at it till it's spotless! Helps to heat the barrel with a heat gun, do it out of the stock and try to get the heat as even as you can, almost too hot to touch is just about right! Careful this stuff is amazing and will polish things you didn't think could take a polish, must be used in a vented room or outside!

Thanks for the advice. Since I can't heat the barrel in my apartment, I am thinking doing this at my range. Take 10 shots to heat the barrel, and then keep cleaning with the polisher.

Seems you are correct. No solvent can do anything about carbon deposits. I am trying to find some JB Paste online, but can't find it available. I will check in a couple of local gun stores.

I would lean toward plugging the barrel, filling it with acetone and allowing a good soak. Acetone cannot harm the metal and any non-abrasive method of removing fouling will preserve the lands and grooves.

Been a pretty big fan of Barrett heavy bore cleaner. But I'm not looking for factory new levels of clean. They come out black, then blue, then white. Good enough for me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top