JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to figure out what keeps springing up in the back yard. Tried finding it on the net, no luck. Never seen a flower. Perhaps I keep cutting it down before it has a chance to bloom. Thank you for any help.

20210807_194017.jpg 20210807_194100.jpg

Story Time.

LOL.....I remember back in Hawaii and this guy had a large MJ plant in his yard (growing in plain view).

Playing the game.......I asked him, "What kind of plant is that?"

His response was, "I think it's a rare kind of orchid."

Me, "Rrrrright.....I guess, you don't mind if I pull it out because it's MJ."

Him, "Oh, no Officer. I didn't know. Go ahead and pull it out."

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Right you are "Mikej". I went out and cut it down and told the wife afterward. To say she was upset is putting it mildly. I showed her all the Youtube and net photos and she kept insisting the leaves were different. I told her to prove me wrong. She did, again. Black Walnut. Once I admitted she was right and I was wrong, she calmed down. I have a feeling it help in the demise of a rose bush behind it. No problem "the4thshake" it was to near the fence and was going to come down anyway.

I hate to say it, but your wife is wrong. Your bush is definitely not a Black Walnut. The leaves are too large and they are rounded. Black Walnut leaves are slender and pointed on the end.

I believe that your bush was an English Walnut. The leaves look very similar to my English Walnuts.

Attached are three photos.
First is English Walnut leaves,
Englixh Walnut.jpg
Second is Black Walnut leaves.
Black Walnut.jpg
Third is the Black Walnut tree.
Black Walnut Tree.jpg

I'm gonna go with English walnut also. Not that it matters, as neither one belonged right on that fence line.

Both are lovely trees but they are best enjoyed at a distance and not anywhere near a house.

Problem with walnuts. "Squirrels"! Little bastids! The tree isn't in my yard, it two doors over. Which is even worse because the little vermin bring them into my yard to burry. Bushy tail RATS crawl all over and through my cucumber and bean trellises messing up the plants. And they dig everywhere else the rest of the year trying to find each others nuts!

If I had English walnuts I'd cut 'em off!

No, that's walnut.

Look how narrow and pointed the leaves are on Tree of Heaven

View attachment 1007475
Agree that is tree of heaven photo shown (I don't mean the photo in the OP). I hate those tree of heaven plants personally. To know for sure u could find a "dichotomous key" and follow to find out. Probably some d. Keys online. I know I have some in books but don't know where they are at the moment. Could be an English walnut with squirrels planting them all over.
D94DCA35-EE57-4A20-A119-724AAC7C2E79.jpeg

Last Edited:
Problem with walnuts. "Squirrels"! Little bastids! The tree isn't in my yard, it two doors over. Which is even worse because the little vermin bring them into my yard to burry. Bushy tail RATS crawl all over and through my cucumber and bean trellises messing up the plants. And they dig everywhere else the rest of the year trying to find each others nuts!

If I had English walnuts I'd cut 'em off!
Get a pet owl. They love squirrels.

I cut it back every year. Always comes back.

If it comes back again scrape up the soft bark with a knife and paint some round Up on it with a small brush/sponge/rag, etc. It will kill the plant but not affect anything near it. I have walnut tree all around and as folks have said the squirrels plant the nuts everywhere that that is the only thing that works if the trees come up in raspberry patches or roses.

Let_It_Go.jpg

Yeah.....
It's probably just easier to agree that she is right and continue to sleep with her. Versus, to keep insisting that you're right (even if you are or not). Cough, cough.....

ma96782....what do you know about anything......especially about women?

Yup.....I've been divorced twice.
i-know-nothing-nothing.jpg
Carry on.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I cut it back every year. Always comes back.
If you want to kill it for good, you will need to kill its roots. For woody plants like this one but without a tree trunk you can target, what you will want to use is a Triclopyr based herbicide. This chemical is especially potent when used on trees and vines. In your local big box store, they will typically be branded as "Brush Killer" and common brands include Bayer and Ortho.

Go get a bottle of this and mix it according to the label, usually 4oz per gallon of water when using the big box store 8% triclopyr type branded as Bayer or Ortho Brush Killer. Use a pump or battery powered sprayer and set the spray head to a fine droplet. Then spray and coat the leaves, stems and any other parts of the plant you can reach.

If you apply now and it comes back in fall, spray again. Usually 2 applications at the correct label rate will kill it.

Trouble of squirrels? A cat is your cheap and easy answer. :)
main-qimg-706d475a09d34e983664a018ce729a2c.webp

If you want to kill it for good, you will need to kill its roots. For woody plants like this one but without a tree trunk you can target, what you will want to use is a Triclopyr based herbicide. This chemical is especially potent when used on trees and vines. In your local big box store, they will typically be branded as "Brush Killer" and common brands include Bayer and Ortho.

Go get a bottle of this and mix it according to the label, usually 4oz per gallon of water when using the big box store 8% triclopyr type branded as Bayer or Ortho Brush Killer. Use a pump or battery powered sprayer and set the spray head to a fine droplet. Then spray and coat the leaves, stems and any other parts of the plant you can reach.

If you apply now and it comes back in fall, spray again. Usually 2 applications at the correct label rate will kill it.

Trouble of squirrels? A cat is your cheap and easy answer. :)
main-qimg-706d475a09d34e983664a018ce729a2c.webp
Good advice. I use the Bayer Brush killer on black locust. I wait until it grows to about an inch or so diameter trunk (and that
doesn't take long). Then I cut it off just above the ground. I put a small bit in the drill and go down a couple of inches.
Then I pour the Bayer straight in. It never grows back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top