JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it comes back again scrape up the soft bark with a knife and paint some round Up on it with a small brush/sponge/rag, etc. It will kill the plant but not affect anything near it. I have walnut tree all around and as folks have said the squirrels plant the nuts everywhere that that is the only thing that works if the trees come up in raspberry patches or roses.
Forgot about that. I killed off a nasty clump of laurel that was right on my fence line. With an expensive new fence I had to. I scarred up stems when they were approaching a foot tall, leaves too seeing as spraying leaves of laurel wouldn't do much, and wet them down with glyphosate. More than once.

Good advice. I use the Bayer Brush killer on black locust. I wait until it grows to about an inch or so diameter trunk (and that
doesn't take long). Then I cut it off just above the ground. I put a small bit in the drill and go down a couple of inches.
Then I pour the Bayer straight in. It never grows back.
Don't get me started on locusts. We had a purple robed locust that simply got too big so took it out. Despite immediate application of herbicide to the stump I am still fighting sprouts coming up from the roots 10 feet from the stump and the tree was taken out three years ago.

Things are slowly improving but stuff still keeps popping up now and then.

If it was a walnut it might well have killed your rose. Walnuts, especially black walnuts, produce juglone, their own biological warfare agent against competing plants. Some plants are resistant, but not roses.

Symptoms of juglone poisoning: stunting, leaves turn yellow or brown or dead, leaves curl, vascular tissue becomes discolored, plant dies.

Buds, shells, leaves, and roots contain the highest amounts of juglone. Juglone persists in dead leaves, wood, soil, and compost made from walnut leaves. Compost containing walnut leaves or debris can kill sensitive plants. Even after the tree is cut down the soil under the tree and roots remain poisonous for years.

Trying to figure out what keeps springing up in the back yard. Tried finding it on the net, no luck. Never seen a flower. Perhaps I keep cutting it down before it has a chance to bloom. Thank you for any help.

View attachment 1007379 View attachment 1007380

Do you have a smarty-pants phone?

Get the app

Picture This
It is also on Google.

Okay, some of you smarty-pants plant identifiers. Identify this one....
P1050021.JPG .
There's a tomato leaf in there, upper left, don't let that confuse you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top