JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain a flashover?
I may have to go back to one of my manuals in case I used the wrong terminology, but it's basically no longer a controlled burn. The powder is so low in the case, the primer ignites a larger amount than normal all at once and it goes kaboom.

I may have to go back to one of my manuals in case I used the wrong terminology, but it's basically no longer a controlled burn. The powder is so low in the case, the primer ignites a larger amount than normal all at once and it goes kaboom.
Basically punishment handed out by the reloading gods for loading mouse fart ammo lol

Flashover is a problem with percussion revolvers where the flash from the cylinder that's being fired travels past the ball in the adjacent cylinder and ignites the powder in that one, too!
I believe that detonation is the correct term for what causes the pressure excursion that can blow up a firearm. Very similar to what can happen in an engines combustion chamber causing the "pinging" sound, two different flame fronts collide and cause an explosion, instead of a controlled burn. Note: I may be a bit off base with the description, but that's the general idea.

@oli700 , thanks for posting that information. I think this would be a great way to get a kid working an adult rifle and with the right components could still be a good deer killer at shorter ranges. This could be a good reason to try out another Ruger Compact!

I'm honestly surprised how many didn't/don't know.
I'd say you have to be a fairly serious handloader or just old and remember when Remington did it. As far as store shelves, muzzle loader sabots or 12 ga ammo with sabot slugs, are about all I see of sabots. As cool as they are, they aren't mainstream. I once heard some BS that Remington quit making them because the bullet wouldn't have rifling grooves and couldn't be matched to a firearm.... If I remember correctly they were a little expensive and since plinking with a 30-30 already tapped out my small amount of cash, I didn't buy any more.

I'd say you have to be a fairly serious handloader or just old and remember when Remington did it. As far as store shelves, muzzle loader sabots or 12 ga ammo with sabot slugs, are about all I see of sabots. As cool as they are, they aren't mainstream. I once heard some BS that Remington quit making them because the bullet wouldn't have rifling grooves and couldn't be matched to a firearm.... If I remember correctly they were a little expensive and since plinking with a 30-30 already tapped out my small amount of cash, I didn't buy any more.

Well I don't handload so I guess I'm old. I remember the same thing regarding ballistics.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top