JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain a flashover?
I may have to go back to one of my manuals in case I used the wrong terminology, but it's basically no longer a controlled burn. The powder is so low in the case, the primer ignites a larger amount than normal all at once and it goes kaboom.

I may have to go back to one of my manuals in case I used the wrong terminology, but it's basically no longer a controlled burn. The powder is so low in the case, the primer ignites a larger amount than normal all at once and it goes kaboom.
Basically punishment handed out by the reloading gods for loading mouse fart ammo lol

Flashover is a problem with percussion revolvers where the flash from the cylinder that's being fired travels past the ball in the adjacent cylinder and ignites the powder in that one, too!
I believe that detonation is the correct term for what causes the pressure excursion that can blow up a firearm. Very similar to what can happen in an engines combustion chamber causing the "pinging" sound, two different flame fronts collide and cause an explosion, instead of a controlled burn. Note: I may be a bit off base with the description, but that's the general idea.

@oli700 , thanks for posting that information. I think this would be a great way to get a kid working an adult rifle and with the right components could still be a good deer killer at shorter ranges. This could be a good reason to try out another Ruger Compact!

I'm honestly surprised how many didn't/don't know.
I'd say you have to be a fairly serious handloader or just old and remember when Remington did it. As far as store shelves, muzzle loader sabots or 12 ga ammo with sabot slugs, are about all I see of sabots. As cool as they are, they aren't mainstream. I once heard some BS that Remington quit making them because the bullet wouldn't have rifling grooves and couldn't be matched to a firearm.... If I remember correctly they were a little expensive and since plinking with a 30-30 already tapped out my small amount of cash, I didn't buy any more.

I'd say you have to be a fairly serious handloader or just old and remember when Remington did it. As far as store shelves, muzzle loader sabots or 12 ga ammo with sabot slugs, are about all I see of sabots. As cool as they are, they aren't mainstream. I once heard some BS that Remington quit making them because the bullet wouldn't have rifling grooves and couldn't be matched to a firearm.... If I remember correctly they were a little expensive and since plinking with a 30-30 already tapped out my small amount of cash, I didn't buy any more.

Well I don't handload so I guess I'm old. I remember the same thing regarding ballistics.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top