JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is astounding to me. San Francisco passes senate bill 960 and is now to be one of the first cities in the nation to remove the US citizenship requirement for law enforcement officers. As long as you are permitted to work within the U.S.... we'll hand you a firearm and let you police US citizens!

What the actual... F!!??

SFPD announcement:

But you can serve in the U S military. I've known some pretty patriotic green card holders.
That's a little different when they are typically serving as representatives of the US against other nations in foreign lands, only beholden to abide by a strict hierarchy, not required to be intimately familiar with the tenants of US civilian law and not policing US citizens on American soil. Not to mention allowing a foreign national access to citizens sensitive data and have influence over policy.

They have sworn no oath of allegiance to the US to, "absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen.." so they are basically just outsourcing policing duties.

I could be wrong, but think that might be the part @Lilhigbee was referencing. Allegiance to a foreign country kind of does make any oath they take as a LEO potentially a bit hollow.

How thorough are the background checks going to be in their home country? How well do those countries even keep records and will they be cooperative with the US to divulge sensitive information on one of their citizens to a foreign power? Some may be willing to divulge only criminal convictions when they are being charged with a crime in the US, but as a matter for employment purposes? What about mental health records? Investigations and/or arrests that did not lead to formal charges or a conviction? Juvenile records?

How well will they be assimilated to US society in order to "read" a situation appropriately? If a green card is the only prerequisite do they get to just walk off the plane/boat and take a LE job? There was nothing in that SFPD announcement saying anything about any requirement for length of time in the US.

How is the public going to react to being policed by foreigners?

If they violate the law aren't they going to be a high flight risk to avoid prosecution?

How would you limit foreign national serving as LEO's to only those patriotic "enough"? I know folks with green cards that hate the US and are only here because the money's good.

The list goes on....

For one thing, a foreign national's oath to uphold our Constitution may ring a little hollow.
I don't think so. I've known some non-citizens who hold the constitution in much higher regard than a lot of citizens.

I worked with a guy at Microsoft who was here on an H1B Visa. He was a cop in India and I see no reason he shouldn't be able to continue his profession over here. Hell, he was a lot more level headed than most the cops I interacted with in the Bay Area.

But you can serve in the U S military. I've known some pretty patriotic green card holders.

I don't think so. I've known some non-citizens who hold the constitution in much higher regard than a lot of citizens.

I worked with a guy at Microsoft who was here on an H1B Visa. He was a cop in India and I see no reason he shouldn't be able to continue his profession over here. Hell, he was a lot more level headed than most the cops I interacted with in the Bay Area.
While I can agree with both of you and in fact have a friend who has been a Resident Alien in the US for 71 years, was drafted and spent 3 years in the army, and is as patriotic to America as anyone you will ever meet, I don't think the pool of people San Francisco will be drawing from include many of those kinds of people.

How well will they be assimilated to US society in order to "read" a situation appropriately? If a green card is the only prerequisite do they get to just walk off the plane/boat and take a LE job? There was nothing in that SFPD announcement saying anything about any requirement for length of time in the US.

How is the public going to react to being policed by foreigners?
Amongst your many good points, these two made me think of someone whose background is sharia law or the gross levels of bribery rampant and more readily accepted in other countries.

I don't think the pool of people San Francisco will be drawing from include many of those kinds of people.
You might be surprised how many good people want to be cops, but cannot due to various disqualifiers. The "fog a mirror" hiring practices of the past doesn't work.

I went to the CHP academy just out of high school. I was one of the oldest one in my class and one of few who actually graduated HS. I didn't finish because I couldn't stand all the dropout idiots who I had to deal with. They were basically going to finish the academy and become Patrolmen or drop out and become losers. Not the right kind of recruiting, IMHO.

You might be surprised how many good people want to be cops, but cannot due to various disqualifiers. The "fog a mirror" hiring practices of the past doesn't work.
The issue being.. there appears to be no procedural process to limit foreign national from enforcing US laws against US citizens on US soil to only those that are sufficiently "patriotic" and beholden to the ideologies of the United States.

To me, it is insufficient to say, "Well, there ARE some good ones"

I mean... we have limitations place on US agencies from acting against the rights of US citizens on US soil, already. Right?

How then does it make common sense to allow foreign nationals to police and enforce laws on US citizens when they themselves are not beholden to allegiance to the US?

I might be in the minority, but I find great issue with a foreign national having legal jurisdiction over US citizens.

Nothing new though; the GOP is blasting the Dems for not not supporting the 'back the blue concept and bills, while the Dems are blasting the GOP for not supporting their backing of the bought off and corrupt FBI and DOJ. The cops are law enforcement, the FBI and DOJ are not.

A progressive tactic is to blur lines. Lines, taking a stand, making a rule, are open to attack because they are static, they mean something. Bluring lines is presented as being "just." Or efficient. Or "nice". Or "why do you care?" Or... pick your sweet that is actually poison. (Progressive activists often don't actually believe whatever crap reason they give, they just know how it ties up sincere people trying to "see their side of things.") The desired result is to deligetimize the lines. Or as it's known, "the system".

Few lines have been more subject to blurring over the past few decades than the line of citizen/non-citizen.

So, I fall on the WTF, no, side. Citizenship should mean something, and I have no problem with one of the rules being that to be a cop in my neighborhood you actually have to share that with me; you're also a citizen.

edit: lol writen before the last few comments above this. Honest!

Last Edited:
I haven't seen any USGI M4s with M4 lowers that have that 3rd hole and select fire lever in any non-LEO civilian hands within the US :rolleyes: that'd be something that the AFT would probably Keep a very close eye on... but bought from the Taliban from the equipment we left in Afghanistan? Probably gonna be relatively difficult to smuggle unless going from the South or within the "refugee" luggage in pieces :rolleyes:

They can work other jobs, what's special about being a Cop?
Well for one thing they have the authority to put you in handcuffs and throw you in jail, nobody at Burger King ever threaten me with that. Originally we let them come in to our country and work so they can pick fruit and do the low paying jobs Americans don't want to do and go home with their money when the season is over Now it appears they want people with non-vested interests that they can get to just "follow orders" to police us.

Well for one thing they have the authority to put you in handcuffs and throw you in jail, nobody at Burger King ever threaten me with that. Originally we let them come in to our country and work so they can pick fruit and do the low paying jobs Americans don't want to do and go home with their money when the season is over Now it appears they want people with non-vested interests that they can get to just "follow orders" to police us.
You seem to be operating under the assumption they are all uneducated, low-level labor workers with nothing else to offer, or here illegally.

My current boss, who is a resident alien from Holland, has 2 degrees and served in their armed forces. He shouldn't be able to work any job somebody who was born here with the same credentials can do?

There is procedure to follow for placing someone under arrest. The arresting officers COO is irrelevant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top