JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few weeks back I bought a new upland hunting jacket at the new Cabela's in Yakima. I was headed for some cold temps pheasant hunting in South Dakota. The jacket was regularly priced at $ 169.00 but on sale for $ 119.00. It seemed like a good deal util I got home and found it on-line at Cabela's for $ 89.00! The coat worked great except the velcro ripped on the sleeves the first day I used it so I took it back to the Marysville store yesterday. They refunded my money no problem.

My father in law & I spent several hours browsing through the store afterward. We were both wanting to do some gun shopping but you had to take a number just to see one! The ammo they had was way overpriced.

So even though I had several hundred dollars in gift cards in my pocket, plus a store credit, & a 20% off coupon for a purchase over $150.00 we left empty handed. Even with the coupon the prices were outrarages!

I just don't get the big hype! Am I missing something?

I'm only 10 minutes from the new store in Marysville and won't go thru the door It's just a Kmart for outdoor stuff, nothing in the store but socks are made in America. 2 years ago I drove clear down the the Olympia store 'cause they had an advertised sale on AA shotshells. I dug thru a mountain of cased shells to locate 10 of the cases I use (AA reduced recoil) Got to the checkout and the register wouldn't ring up the sale price. The clerk got a supervisor and she couldn't get the machine to ring up the sale price. After 15 minutes of this, I'm advised the sale price was "after manufactures rebate" even thou the add didn't say that. I left the shotshells at the register.
I've had nothing but bad experience with Cabela's and will do my shopping with locally owned stores, buying "made in America" products when I can

Well I kinda like the store... it took me almost 3 hours to get my pistol out the door with only a few folks ahead of me. Sportco took fifteen minutes and I was out of the door.
Some of their ammo mysteriously went up in price after Obama's speech, and some of the counter folk aren't that friendly.

I remember when everyone was so excited when the Springfield store was being built, I heard all these great stories about their selections and prices.
Once they opened and I got a first hand look I was :huh:, yea they have a good selection but OMG the prices!

I'll go in there to browse around but when it comes to actually buying I'll go elsewhere.

Yeah their prices aren't the best by any means but they have a pretty decent selection. Before the Tulalip store you had Norpoint, Sam's, or discount gun sales...which funny enough has the highest prices.

I shop cabela's online but only buy when it is on clearance or sale, even then I know that they are making a killing on me,

But yes a lot of the recent price increases and out of stock problems is because of hype and panic buying

The next time you walk through pick stuff and see where it it made its over priced Chinese stuff. Now their cloths have a great return policy, but again its made over seas.

I love all the guys that think they can put on a Cabela's hat and sweatshirt and think they are great hunters and fishermen.

Keep in mind the majority of the people working the floor are knowledgeable about their sports, but just remember the majority of those people on the floor are part time and get paid alittle over minimum wage and have a 2nd job to make it. In every store there are about a dozen to 20 people that make a good family wage job. It is a great place to go if there is one near a vacation spot that you are going to not many other places that have the taxidermy that they have, there is a lot of money in the taxidermy. Loveem or hateem alot of times they have stuff you cannot find else where.

The only Cabelas I've ever been in is the Springfield store, went there once when it first opened. Admittedly I only looked around in the gun/reloading stuff, but I didn't see any great prices that would make me ever go back. If you want stuff with their name on on it then maybe it's worth the extra money to some.

Some years ago Cramer (the MSNBC as-clown) was pushing Cabela's as the great investment because all the outdoorsmen shop there. I emailed him to tell him he is nuts. It is a store for fake outdoor yappies like him.

and it's not (MSNBC) it's MSLSD based on the things that are said on that joke of a news station

The only Cabelas I've ever been in is the Springfield store, went there once when it first opened. Admittedly I only looked around in the gun/reloading stuff, but I didn't see any great prices that would make me ever go back. If you want stuff with their name on on it then maybe it's worth the extra money to some.

Ha ha. I went to the Springfield store twice. First time with the family for fun when it opened. Second time by myself only to realize I can get most everything they sell for much less online or at local discount places like Bimart.
Have not stepped foot in Cabelas since.

Yes, their regular prices are high but they do have some good sales. I've been in a couple of their stores but have only purchased online.
I got a bunch of their Herters brand .223 for $4.49 per box of 20 last spring or summer. And recently they had it on sale for $4.99/20. Even though it's Russian made steel case ammo it's fine for plinking.

I drove a nice hour to Cabbella with a hand full of cash a few months ago, I was looking to buy two firearms and cash in hand I went up.

The store is good sized and lots of stuff, however the closer I looked the more I was not seeing anything that was like wow, what a price.
I came back home and got a better price at Bi-mart and at a local shop Cabella sale prices were higher then the local prices here.

only shop there when I have time, feel calm and there is a sale, but that is just for clothing. Bought a used gun there 2 years ago and doubt I'll be back for that.

I understand what you're saying. I lived in Lacey, WA for 4 years while I was at Fort Lewis and I went to Cabela's once a week. Everything is way overpriced. You just gotta remember that you're paying for the selection and the environment. If you're looking for the best deal, you'd buy online.

I have gottten good online deals on 10 box cases of of Kent Fasteel 12ga 3" 1-1/8oz #2 with free shipping & saved $4-$6 per box of 25rnds from retail that way. I also scored a camo-patterned auto inflate life vest for about 1/3 the cost of what they go for, with free shipping.

I think online shopping gets better pricing than the big-box brick & mortar stores.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top