C&R ATF VISITS

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by TCOV, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:36 AM.

1. TCOV

TCOV
    OLYMPIC PENINSULA

I'm kind of on the fence about getting a C&R license. I would like to hear from license holders about the frequency of visits or inquires from ATF agents.

2. Nosferatu

Nosferatu
    Monroe, WA

Have had mine for 30 years. Have not once heard from the ATF.

Flymph, TCOV and 308 like this.
  3. TCOV

TCOV
    OLYMPIC PENINSULA

Thank you, that's kind of what I have heard but had never seen anyone ask the question directly.

4. 308

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just keep your bound book nice and tidy, don’t buy and sell for a profit and you will be good to go.

Jim Colvill and TCOV like this.
  5. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I'm thinking about getting a C&R but I've also been considering a regular. I've been in the business, off and on for 40 years and have yet had the pleasure of a single visit. I keep my records correct and don't really worry about things I can't control. They are supposed to be visiting every FFL Dealer once a year. Personally, I don't think they do their visiting unless there's a flag on the file for some reason. I know of a recent "Visit" that had a "reason" so I'm not surprised. The Shop had sold some Ammunition to one of the recent Shooters that had been in the News. They hadn't done anything Wrong but it did take a couple of days away from their business dealings.

TCOV likes this.
  6. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

I think with C&R's, they offer the option of taking your Bound Book into the local ATF office.

7. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington
    Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I've been looking and have not seen or heard anything about that. I'd rather let them do their job and come to see me if they want. The local BATFE Office is in Downtown Seattle and that is NOT a nice place to visit and parking fees will bankrupt a small business owner. And, that ain't No Joke.

8. Jim Colvill

Jim Colvill
    1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton
    Old Army Cook

Once your C&R expires that's all there is. You can burn your book if you wish.

TCOV likes this.
  9. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I had a C&R license for a long time and had one and only one inspection from the ATF. It consisted of a compliance inspector checking my bound book and him going over current regulations. My records were in order, so that took a matter of minutes. His script on federal statutes went a little longer, but it was no big deal. He was friendly, answered a few questions I had, and thanked me for my time. That was it.

I've known other C&R licensees who never had a visit and I recall the inspector mentioning they only audit a tiny fraction of C&R holders. There was also a kitchen table 01FFL here in town that had a license for almost two decades who told me me he never had an inspection either.

I didn't renew my license, but it was not due to concerns of ATF inspections. At the time we were about to have our first child, there wasn't much on the C&R market appealed to me, and I was planned (and later did) get into NFA collecting once things settled down. By the time I thought about submitting an application for a 03FFL again, the bullplop know as SB 941 passed and, more or less, made having one pointless, so I didn't bother.