JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here is my question, in two parts.

Part One

I recently purchased a new Bushmaster AR with a Bushmaster Six Position Tele-stock . It has a bit of play in it, both in lower adjustable parts, and at the joint with the lower. In other words it’s a real rattle trap. Is this normal? I have an ATI stock for my Mini 14 and it has some play, but not this much. Is there an easy way to tighten it, or do I need special tools. I am terrified of scratching it, so I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start wrenching on it.

Part Two

If its normal for the factory Bushmaster stocks to be less then perfect in fit and finish. Is there a good (not too expensive) alternative collapsible stock on the market that dose not rattle? I realize there are tons of them, but who makes the best one for your money?

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the Skeleton Stocks?:s0155:

The stock on my bushmaster was tight at the joint with the lower, as it should be, but the collapsible part had some play. you do need a special tool to tighten it without scratching, you can get one at the gunshow next weekend. as for the plastic part look into the Magpul ctr. it has a friction lock that removes all play at the stock. hope this helps.
Kyle

they do vary

i was sold some RRA back in the day and they were said not to rattle but all did. i have one not sure of the brand and its really nice and tight . i was at a gun show at the Oly table they had one and it was tight darn i wish i would have bought it they claimed it was oly but it was not in packaging.

The Colts i have owned have all been pretty tight . the one you have may be a fluke as well as i had a bushmaster not as tight as the colt but tighter than the rras i had .

now if your lever is loose it can be tightened but thats not causing the slop in the stock you can go to a gun show and check shop for one without slop i have a brand new tapco stock poster in the classifieds here that has moderate slop if your interrested

The MagPul CTR I have is a lot tighter than the factory stock, but not completely tight.

Buffer tube, or the stock, aren't correct. Or it's an MOE, not a CTR.

I have CTR's on three AR's. All of them lock up perfectly tight. Completely solid, no matter what I do to them.

I had one that didn't lock up tight. It was okay, but not tight. I put a new buffer tube on it, and it was good to go.

Just remember, There's "Milspec" buffer tubes, and Commercial buffer tubes. Make sure the stock you buy fits the tube you have. (Bushmaster is probably commercial.)

bush is "commercial."

the "buffer tube," as it's commonly called (receiver extension is the technical term), should not be loose at all- that needs to be tightened down before you fire the weapon. the slightest play is totally unacceptable. if you can get your hands on a spanner wrench or armorer's wrench, tighten down the castle-nut to 30ft/lbs and stake it in place with a spring-loaded punch.

operating the weapon the way it is, you'll damage the receiver extension at a minum.. possible do other damage and/or injure yourself.

For what it's worth, DPMS makes a design of their own that's pretty nice and not too expensive. It's a six position collapsible model that's about an inch longer than "mil spec" and is fairly quiet. I suppose all collapsible stocks rattle some though..............

I have fixed several that have come through my shop, just heat up the stock with a heat gun till it gets slightly pliable, clamp it in a padded vice til it cools
and that should tighten it up. there was one that was so loose that i took it off the tube heated it in a couple of spots and pressed a rounded off punch in the hot spots til it would make contact with the tube.
both ways seemed to work real well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads