JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was looking at their 20x36 offset smoker. The only El Patron I know anything about are the cigars!
My reading has indicated bigger is better for fire management. The Workhorse has really good reviews and is a bit cheaper. They have a long leadtime though.

Last Edited:
My reading has indicated bigger is better for fire management. The Workhorse has really good reviews and is a bit cheaper. They have a kind leadtime though.
You can make up for that with density, which is why I'm building mine so thick. A reverse-flow also helps since the heat has to travel across the entire bottom and back towards the fire box. You also get more even smoke contact.

I cook for 2 of us, I'm not doing huge parties, so I don't want something huge.

Do do do do do doooo baby shark
do do do do do doooo mommy shark
Do do do do do doooo daddy shark
Do do do do do doooo Gramma shark
Do do do do do doooo grampa shark

If hes "burned-out" on BBQ, I really don't think recommending BBQs is much help….
Maybe not, but there are so many forms of BBQ from all over the world, sometimes just exploring a different regions style can reinvigorate your interest while using existing skills and equipment.

…. So, Have you considered trying your hand at baking? :s0153:
Nobody sane likes baking. All that measuring ingredients and pining over the minute details only to have it burn to a crisp makes you want to pull the toenails off small animals.

I was cooking on the big green egg and decided I wanted more input. I also wanted to perfect the brisket, hence the change. The El Patron fills the gap left by an offset. Also, 80# rotisserie.

Report back when you get it. I'm genuinely curious.

I bought a PK Grill about a month ago and have been figuring that thing out.
Oh, you better believe it. Cooking for the wife's 40th on the first next month, but I'll fire it up before to get acquainted and do a burn in. The plan is for brisket, pork ribs, pork butt, jalapeno cheddar sausage, pit beans, Mac and biscuits. All made from scratch. My oven holds 150F perfectly, so it'll rest the meats as they finish.

Oh, you better believe it. Cooking for the wife's 40th on the first next month, but I'll fire it up before to get acquainted and do a burn in. The plan is for brisket, pork ribs, pork butt, jalapeno cheddar sausage, pit beans, Mac and biscuits. All made from scratch. My oven holds 150F perfectly, so it'll rest the meats as they finish.
Roseburg is a mere 6 hours away. I bet I can do it in 5!

Funny, I just bought a bubblegum-ton of steel to start building my own smoker.

Tired of the cheap R2-D2 uprights that don't seal and rust away in 2 years.

I'm doing an offset, reverse-flow smoker out of 3/16" steel for the main chamber and 1/4" for the hot box.

I'll never get bored with BBQ. Being a born-again Mexican, I'm getting really into the BBQ of the various regions.
I'm giving my egg to a friend, so I was looking at something that filled the gap. Initially I was looking at UDS's. Then I found the El Patron.

You can make up for that with density, which is why I'm building mine so thick. A reverse-flow also helps since the heat has to travel across the entire bottom and back towards the fire box. You also get more even smoke contact.

I cook for 2 of us, I'm not doing huge parties, so I don't want something huge.
Make the fire box bigger. The bigger the box, the easier to maintain the fire. Otherwise you'll be busy chasing the flame.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top