JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi all.
I was finally able to get a hold of my brother and talked tonight briefly (he works a shift that starts at 4am so his bedtime is pretty early) about the situation I mentioned he encountered earlier in this thread on his mining claim. He couldn't remember the court cases off of the top of his head but he mentioned that the case about government officials being held personally responsible had to do with the BLM and forest service trying to conspire to get a rancher to loose their grazing permits. I searched afterwards and think this MIGHT be the case. Even if it's not, it's an interesting ready. When he gets me some more info, I'll pass it on. I promise I'll take note's next time he visits :)

He did recommend Range Magazine (facebook link) as they are up-to-date on court cases about land use involving BLM, Forest service, environmentalist, and others who might want you off public lands. Not necessarily fire-arms directly related cases, but good general reading.

Funny, when I told him about the OP's initial encounter, the first things out of his mouth was about the steam being navigational or not, and that if they ever make "we are going to fine you or else" threats to get the order in writing, or start recording the encounter and ask them to repeat themselves, just so you can get it straight... At least that's what's worked for him.

This is confusing. The area of concern for me is the area behind Mt. Bachelor, around the lakes on the Cascade Lakes Hwy. that is USFS land and they patrol it. BLM and ODF do not, apparently. So, the first thing to do is to find out whose jurisdiction the land falls under. While that shouldn't be hard, it is. That makes no sense to me why we have to have two separate federal agencies and a State agency to essentially do the same thing, but with different standards and rules that are not always the same. But that is what it is. So I called the supervisor of the Law Enforcement officers for that area of USFS and just asked him what was up. They do have LE officers patrol in green and white SUV's. those are his officers. There are also green and white vehicles out there that have light bars on them that are driven by civilian volunteers. Their main job is to watch for fire safety, not to be cops, but he does see them get a tad over zealous sometimes and generate citizen complaints. As far as the op, he has no female LE Officers in the zone anywhere, so if the original issue was with USFS, then it had to be a volunteer, not a LE officer. He was very open and very helpful. He said that the USFS welcomes target shooting. The rules are that you can not shoot w/I 1/4 mile of a road or of an occupied campsite. You can not shoot on or across a road or a river (unless duck hunting). Other than that use common sense. Don't leave garbage or damage anything. There are a few no shooting areas, due to congestion of people. He mentioned one off of China Hat Rd., just out of Bend, and the area right around the Lava Caves Visitor Area. Again, he was very helpful, very open and very open to target shooting in the area.

So I spoke with Black Butte Police Dept today and was able to get the name of the female who is identified as a USFS law enforcement officer. Can you tell me what # you used to contact the supervisor in the area that you spoke about? The only thing I found is a Portland branch #. Thanks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top