JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Reloaders:

It's been awhile since I've posted a question, but I'm looking to add a bullet feeder to my XL650 Dillion. Anyone have any feedback on either the Hornady or the RCBS system? They're both about the same cost (yes, expensive), both look similar, and look they they operate the same (as viewed on Youtube).
Any help would be appreciated!

Happy New Year!

I can only answer a part of your question. I bought a Hornady bullet feeder die for .40. Added a long clear plastic tube that I can put about 40 bullets in. I have been MOST impressed with how consistent it feeds. Considering that the weight against the next bullet to be fed varies as the stack of bullets gets used up, the die works great. Cheap way to get a little bit of the advantage of having a bullet feeder setup. Hardest part of getting it setup was adjusting the flair on the powder feed die.

Thanks Speed:
That is good information. I like the idea of starting with just the die and a feeder tube. Your setup adjusts the case mount on the powder die? I think that is done on my first die.

I have been asking around about this and the electric feeders aren't real popular but I have heard the clear plastic tube and the Hordany die works well.
I'm gunna try this first,before I spend $300 on the electric one and it not work.
What case feed do you use?

I use the Dillion case feeder and it works perfect. Dillion doesn't make a bullet feeder (yet) that's why I'm considering Hornady or RCBS.
I like Speed's idea of just using the die and a plastic tube and will go that route first as well.

By what I have read the hornady one is better with the only drawback is it runs constantly and is noisy. While researching I came across the cheap tube bullet feeder on arfcom and have been using it since early November with over 2000 rounds loaded with it without any problems. Here is a link to my post about it with a link to the arfcom thread.

Bullet feeder

a2bae617.jpg
dad75882.jpg
bd353dc9.jpg

Everyone seems to be overlooking the other choice. K.I.S.S. came out with a bullet feeder quite a while ago that ended up mounted next to a lot of Dillon 650's and 1050's. It even feeds Rifle bullets like the .223 an .308. So far the only Rifle Bullets the others feed are that "Coming Soon" caliber.

The KISS is now known as "Mr Bullet".Mr Bullet Feeder

Everyone seems to be overlooking the other choice. K.I.S.S. came out with a bullet feeder quite a while ago that ended up mounted next to a lot of Dillon 650's and 1050's. It even feeds Rifle bullets like the .223 an .308. So far the only Rifle Bullets the others feed are that "Coming Soon" caliber.

The KISS is now known as "Mr Bullet".Mr Bullet Feeder

At $550 I can buy about 1000 yards of that tubing.OK maybe 100 but $550?

At $550 I can buy about 1000 yards of that tubing.OK maybe 100 but $550?

And then run it up to the second story of your house having a neighbor kid putting bullets in it as you load?

The reason for the feeder is to increase the output speed of your press. With having to stop and load "tubing" (that includes the time spent pre-loading it) "going cheap" doesn't meet that need.

My left hand still feeds fast enough for my needs on my 650 but if you've ever watched the bullet feeder work for rifle rounds (sorry, can't see where Hornady or RCBS have one yet) you'd see the value.

I just need to move to the sun belt so I can shoot more often,justifying all this cost.
Or them damn zombies better start attacking

I bought a 10' X 10' canopy from Costco a couple of years ago. Now I shoot rain or shine. Only difference between my Summer Shooting and Winter Shooting is a layer of "long johns";);)

I'm also considering renting one of these for my "gravel pit shooting"sessions:

st-pats-11-potty-w.jpg

The reason for the feeder is to increase the output speed of your press. With having to stop and load "tubing" (that includes the time spent pre-loading it) "going cheap" doesn't meet that need.

I usually only load 400-800 rnds in a setting. I have 10 tubes now that I can set in front of the TV and load, so I really dont count that time as reloading. Using this system is cheap, fast and convenient. Each tube hold 65 115fmj so that give me 650 rounds at one setting. As you can see in my 3rd pic, I have pegboard hooks that the loaded and empty tubes set on ready to go. I will do the same thing with the 10 primer tubes so when I go to load I am ready to roll. :s0155:

I just checked out the KISS (Mr. Bullet Feeder) That's cool but spendy. I watched how it works on Youtube. Very ingenious.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought a 10' X 10' canopy from Costco a couple of years ago. Now I shoot rain or shine. Only difference between my Summer Shooting and Winter Shooting is a layer of "long johns";);)

I'm also considering renting one of these for my "gravel pit shooting"sessions:

st-pats-11-potty-w.jpg

I keep forgetting to go get one.I do want a canopy so I can shoot year 'round. And no reason for a toilet when there's plenty of woods around.

I keep forgetting to go get one.I do want a canopy so I can shoot year 'round. And no reason for a toilet when there's plenty of woods around.

Yeah, but when it's rainy and the wind's blowing one of these is sure more comfortable.

Many years ago when I was young and invulnerable I used to race Off Road Motorcycles. Went to the famed "Mattawa 100" one year and a guy pulled into the camp with a "borrowed" porta-potty in the back of his pickup and bikes on the trailer. Suddenly he was everyone's friend.

Hi Reloaders:

It's been awhile since I've posted a question, but I'm looking to add a bullet feeder to my XL650 Dillion. Anyone have any feedback on either the Hornady or the RCBS system? They're both about the same cost (yes, expensive), both look similar, and look they they operate the same (as viewed on Youtube).
Any help would be appreciated!

Happy New Year!

Definitely get a Hornady...the RCBS ones are junk.:cool:

By what I have read the hornady one is better with the only drawback is it runs constantly and is noisy. While researching I came across the cheap tube bullet feeder on arfcom and have been using it since early November with over 2000 rounds loaded with it without any problems. Here is a link to my post about it with a link to the arfcom thread.

Thanks so much for the link to those tubes, new friend~!!

The nice thing about hornady that everyone has pointed out, just buy the feeder die.

Now, the problem comes when you load rifle. The problem is I havn't seen any of the rifle feeders that are really up to the task. The KISS/MRbulletfeeder just sets the bullet on top of the case. The RCBS feeder actually partially seats the bullet, which is a huge advantage, but from what I've heard none of the rifle systems are really satisfactory.

FWIW -- I have the bullet feeder on the Hornady (mostly 9mm) and it works great. If I had to do it over again I would have just bought the dies and used tubes. The feeder motor stuff works well but it is awfully noisy. Rather than running it non-stop I manually (switch udnerneath) turn it off periodically as the feed tube it comes with holds a good 20-30 bullets.

FWIW -- I have the bullet feeder on the Hornady (mostly 9mm) and it works great. If I had to do it over again I would have just bought the dies and used tubes. The feeder motor stuff works well but it is awfully noisy. Rather than running it non-stop I manually (switch udnerneath) turn it off periodically as the feed tube it comes with holds a good 20-30 bullets.

I just bought a 7/16" rigid clear plastic tube just right for 9mm bullets (cast or plated)
from this place for $2.59 with free same day shipped delivery...and don't use the noisy collator at all.
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads