JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I may have some extra antimony after I use up all my pure lead, especially since I'm now shooting for a 75/25 ratio. I'll let you know in the next few days.

I have a stock of pure tin as well, and can put it into the mix if it helps the antimony go into solution ... but I was hoping just to keep it simple and just have PB/Sb alloy. That will make it easer to get the exact Pb/Sn/Sb mix I want when it comes time to actually start casting bullets. Or I could just shoot straight toward a particular alloy (say #2 or hardball) and call it good.

I'm going to see if I can easily get the antimony mix to work first.

On a side note: I'm wondering if something like #2 and powder coating would hold up in a moderate rifle load.

Crohnos ... what do you have for a melting set up? I have a Lee 10# bottom pour that for years I did everything in. I now use a camp stove and 8inch cast iron fry pan for allowing and cleaning metal. The stove is slow to melt, so I use a weed burner to accelerate the melt when I'm in a hurry. I'd love to have a turkey fryer type of burner. If I did I would cut the bottom off an old propane tank to make a decent sized crucible and then could really clean and alloy large batches at once.

Currently I am using an old white gas camp stove. However, that was a stop gap until I get my hands on my old plumbers propane furnace that I used back in the 80's. It has been living at my Dad's place in Eastern WA for the last 30 years and is coming home in a week or so. I am also using a 8" cast iron fry pan I picked up at a gun show for a few bucks. I have thought about a turkey fryer burner as well, but back in the day, the aforementioned plumber's furnace kicked bubblegum when it came to heating up and melting lead. I could go from cold lead to melted ready to pour in about 5 minutes or less as I recall.

A plumbers furnace is absolutely the best solution ... I have not seen one around forever though. I'm sure there are a ton in the backs of sheds and barns ... it's just getting them to surface is hard to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top