JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I don't know if this breaks any rules, but I want to know what my options are. I'm currently 19, and I want to build an ar. I dont know why I want to build it, its just an itch that buying a complete ar won't scratch. What are my options for obtaining a lower? ARE there any legal options? Am I doomed to wait until the magical number comes along? I've studied the laws as best as I can, but I'm still young and dumb and I don't want to break the law on accident. I wanted to build one since I was 16, when I first got super into shooting, but there hasn't been an oppurtunity.
Thank you

I believe if you have the FFL mark the lower as a "rifle" then you should be fine. Just don't ever convert it to a pistol.

Call your local FFL and ask.

I agree, IF you can find an FFL that will transfer a lower as a "rifle", and not "other" or "pistol", you could be fine so long as you don't build it into a pistol. Safer option might be to buy a completed/already assembled rifle lower (I know that robs you of that part of the build) and do all the upper work yourself. Just something to consider.

BTW, if you still want the experience of building the lower, you could disassemble the completed lower and re-assemble it.

Thanks for the responses! I'm not sure about the completed lower, I've read that those are considered the same as a stripped lower. I can certainly ask my local ffl! He is a very friendly guy, so he might give me a little bit of leeway. The only reason I haven't yet is that I read on some other forums that selling a lower as a rifle is sketchy for an ffl. Also, I would love to do an 80% but I dont have a mill or drill press, and I am 99% sure a dremel isn't enough.

Thanks for the responses! I'm not sure about the completed lower, I've read that those are considered the same as a stripped lower. I can certainly ask my local ffl! He is a very friendly guy, so he might give me a little bit of leeway. The only reason I haven't yet is that I read on some other forums that selling a lower as a rifle is sketchy for an ffl. Also, I would love to do an 80% but I dont have a mill or drill press, and I am 99% sure a dremel isn't enough.
Dremel will not do, but i have heard of some that only require a drill and seen plenty that only require a router. However, i would avoid aquiring an 80% lower until you know more about them, and feel confident in creating a completed lower. Personally, i'm still on the fence about it.
As long as you build a rifle I don't see any reason why you can't build an AR.

Get one of the 80% receiver kits with the Jig and a good router and you don't ever have to step foot in a FFL, you can buy every thing you wish via the internet! :cool:
It's actually a super fun way to build a AR to your exact needs and the only limits are the contents of your wallet!

From my understanding, the lower reciever is 21 and over because it can potentially be made into a pistol. Is it legal to obtain a lower in a private sale? Also, I totally forgot that you can do those with a router! Are those for polymer only or can a router potentially handle a metal project? My experience with routers is pretty limited.

all i asked was "do you have to be 21 to buy a lower receiver reguardless if its marked rifle, pistol, other?"

"yes" from both of them

WTF, since when did this become 'LAW" last I heard, you only had to be 18 to buy a Rifle or Shotgun! As long as the Lower is marked/sold as a "RIFLE" it should fit the existing laws with out restriction!

PM me the names of the two shops you called, I wanna know which ar breaking the law so I don't do business with them!
Please tell me TickLicker isn't one of them!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

WTF, since when did this become 'LAW" last I heard, you only had to be 18 to buy a Rifle or Shotgun! As long as the Lower is marked/sold as a "RIFLE" it should fit the existing laws with out restriction!

PM me the names of the two shops you called, I wanna know which ar breaking the law so I don't do business with them!
Please tell me TickLicker isn't one of them!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
GCA 1968

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews