JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I just had a quick question. I've got two lowers coming to my local FFL. i was planning on building them into standard ARs but now i'm thinking it might be cool to build one into an AR pistol. What are the rules about registering them as a rifle or pistol? I assume it's done at the time i pick them up from the FFL and fill out the paperwork? Anything else i should know about building an AR pistol specific to WA? I plan on a 9" 300 AAC upper pistol, flash hider, 30rd mag and full 9" rail. any reason that would be a problem in WA? sorry for the weird questions but i'm from CA and it was a pain to learn all the legalities of owning an AR in that state.....

If you have a virgin lower you can build whatever you want. Once something is first made a "rifle" by definition it can no longer be legally made into a pistol again.

This is considered a pistol

image.jpg

Also, when your FFL fills out the 4473 paperwork he should select 'Other' for question 18 and write 'Lower' for question 29.

Some FFLs recommend you to fill out the pistol transfer form because pistols are suppose to be registered in WA. Better safe than sorry type of scenario if you get a LEO wanting to harass you.

Some FFLs recommend you to fill out the pistol transfer form because pistols are suppose to be registered in WA. Better safe than sorry type of scenario if you get a LEO wanting to harass you.

So FFL's are suggesting you break the law?

A receiver is NOT a pistol, so it can not be transferred as such.

There is NO registration of Title 1 firearms in WA. There is a record of last sale, similar to a 4473 though.

There is no way this makes you "safer". Either you are following the law, or you are not............

True enough about FFLs, but one time I did call the WA office and they said you must do the Pistol Transfer form.. But then again that person did not sound knowledgeable. Personally I would just do it to get a copy of the paperwork so LEO can't claim it was a rifle converted to pistol because you know how some LEOs make up the law how they see fit. It's not illegal to send in the form.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top