JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Either I am misreading or misunderstanding their website or the ATF is wrong.o_O

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...on-receive-firearm-his-or-her-state-he-or-she

This is fairly curious since the ATF page says "An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence."

From now on, I shall abstain from quoting the ATF on gun laws.:)

I'm going by what I've learned from FFL holders. Here is what I've gathered from them.

The ATF site is providing a summary of the actual law - which is found under 18 USC § 922:

(b)It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1)
any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
(2)
any firearm to any person in any State where the purchase or possession by such person of such firearm would be in violation of any State law or any published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition, unless the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe that the purchase or possession would not be in violation of such State law or such published ordinance;
(3)
any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

I've confirmed this with a number of FFL holders as well. So long as you pick up the gun, in person, from an FFL, it's legal. Even if you buy online, it is being transferred to the FFL, and you are receiving it from them. I can't say why the ATF website appears to possibly contradict this, but I would defer first to the actual US Code.

That said, if someone else has an answer to contradict this, then please do weigh in. We're all interested in following the law, even if it's written in an unclear manner - typical government publications.

@IheartSig I'm surprised at the delay you got with Bud's. I've been buying from them for years and I think the longest it took them to ship was a week. That would tick me off too.

Etrain16, it may very well be that my situation was an anomaly, I don't know. I DO know that most people I have talked with about Buds have the same opinion as you, and seem to like them.

Don't over look Davisons on line Do a search for Gun Genie to find them they have really good prices and deal with the LGS of your choice also have an excellent return policy. I returned two Savage MKII 22's to them before taking possession due to scratches on the finish and they worked with the LGS to have the replacements headed to me even before they received the damaged rifle back.

I've never ordered a firearm online before and was courious if other members have and which FFL dealer do you use and what should I expect to pay for the transfer? I'm in the Vancouver area, can I use a Oregon FFL for long guns? Just got my tax return and the ok from the wife to buy another gun:D

I would STRONGLY suggest NOT ordering anything from Bud's, and especially firearms. A minimal Google search will identify many many unhappy customers and serious complaints about unethical business practices. I myself ordered some ammo from them recently and I was seriously displeased with their business practices, their shipping practices, and their customer service. I will never ever buy anything from Bud's Gun Shop again. :mad:

Be advised.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads