JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've never ordered a firearm online before and was courious if other members have and which FFL dealer do you use and what should I expect to pay for the transfer? I'm in the Vancouver area, can I use a Oregon FFL for long guns? Just got my tax return and the ok from the wife to buy another gun:D

in case your dont know, the general process is you locate a FFL near you that you want to use. Buds has a list of FFL's based on zip code. Their preferred FFL designation most likely means they have shipped to them before and have a copy of their FFL on file (they need that before shipping).

Before ordering, determine what your local FFL will charge for a transfer. It can run $25-$75 sometimes. Buds usually has a known fee listed when you need to choose one.

Then buy your gun after you select your FFL. after ordering, call the FFL and say "I ordered a gun at Bud's and will have it shipped to you" They take your name and number and call you when it arrives. If buds does not have a copy of their FFL, they may ask you to have the FFL fax or email it to them.

Know that some dealers dont like working with Buds because they are big and can undercut the price. I tend to use a pawn shop with an FFL near me because they are cheap and fast and I know Im not cutting into their business.

Also before ordering, check you favorite local gun store price. They may be able to get you a good price once you factor the transfer fee and shipping. I've had local stores beat bud's prices.

Also check www.gunwatcher.com or www.wikiarms.com Buds does not always have the best price out of all the online stores

Here is location to search for FFL's near you.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/ffl.php

Last Edited:
I just went through a nightmare experience with Buds. You will need to have your FFL of choice fax/email their FFL into Buds. You should expect 20-45 dollars depending on where you go. A cut Above Pawn in Beaverton is my go to shop for FFL. they are fair priced at 25 dollars out the door and they are great guys.

Buds should have them on file, but check first.

Also don't expect Buds to ship fast, they do it on their own time. I ordered three guns Buds the first day, Impact second and third, both Impact guns were here in a week, buds took almost a month and they are hard to get ahold of deal with in my experience. YMMV.

Thank you for the quick reply. I have been checking the lgs periodically looking for the rifle I'm after, but no luck as of yet. I was concerned that the lgs would try to screw me a little on the transfer since I wouldn't be buying from them. Do you happen to know if I could use a Oregon FFL being a WA resident? I figure since OR takes $120+ a week from my checks I might as well try to get out of sales tax.

You must use an FFL in the state of which you reside.

El Kabong, if you are going to post here you need to represent

Hb_quickdraw_photo_01_md.jpg

Thank you for the quick reply. I have been checking the lgs periodically looking for the rifle I'm after, but no luck as of yet. I was concerned that the lgs would try to screw me a little on the transfer since I wouldn't be buying from them. Do you happen to know if I could use a Oregon FFL being a WA resident? I figure since OR takes $120+ a week from my checks I might as well try to get out of sales tax.

You must use an FFL in the state of which you reside.

I was under the impression that you could buy long guns outside of your state or residence, and that it was handguns that had to be purchased inside your state of residence.... yeah?

@sprink, you may purchase LONG GUNS (rifles and shotguns) in another state. Handguns must be purchased in your home state. I'm an OR resident and I have bought long guns in WA. Not a problem, and completely in compliance with the ATF, who regulates interstate transfer of firearms. If you're buying online from a place like Bud's, you may also have them shipped to another state. I did this not long ago, from Bud's to an FFL in WA state. Why? Because it robs OR of their $10 background check fee, that's why. Be sure to shop around on your transfer fees, they can vary wildly between FFL's for an incoming transfer. You should be able to find an FFL in WA that will handle your transfer for no more than $25 out the door - shop around. And as @bolus mentioned, if you use one of the "preferred" dealers on Bud's, then they will already have their FFL license on file (so long as it hasn't expired), which will save you a little hassle.

Side note - I got a call from Bud's when I chose an FFL out of my home state, I told them why (screw OR out of $10 BGC fee) and they were good with that :)

@El Kabong That is not a correct answer, unless you are referring specifically to handguns, which, yes, must be purchased in your home state. Long guns may be purchased legally in any state.

@Stomper you are correct, you win the peanut.

@IheartSig I'm surprised at the delay you got with Bud's. I've been buying from them for years and I think the longest it took them to ship was a week. That would tick me off too.

A PEANUT! Cool.

There may be an advantage to buying in WA. If you get one of the arbitrary "Delays" that are happening in OR. your gun may be in limbo FOR MOOONNNTHS!

I have had no issues with buds with any of the 3 transactions. Free shipping and generally very competitive prices even with transfer. They have a great selection as well.

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like it's easier than I had thought to buy online

It is but just be aware of the time when you go in to pick it up. Your BGC will still need to be completed and I would try to pick it up when they open on a weekday, compared to a Saturday afternoon due to wait time for OSP if you decide to go through an OR for long gun.

Try clark county gunsmithing. They have great pricing and do a lot of transfers. I've used them for online purchases and always had a great experience.

Buds has some of the best prices you'll ever find, I haven't ordered from them online, but have been to their two shops in Kentucky and they are great people. Amazing stores, and the beet indoor range I've ever been to

Either I am misreading or misunderstanding their website or the ATF is wrong.o_O

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...on-receive-firearm-his-or-her-state-he-or-she

This is fairly curious since the ATF page says "An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence."

From now on, I shall abstain from quoting the ATF on gun laws.:)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews