JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rifle, Scope, dies, ammo? makes this a $1,000-1,200 in my opinion. The caliber isn't going to take anything away from the value. But, I wouldn't post it on this Forum. I'd put it up on one of the Auction Sites like GunBroker.com. :):):)

If that is truthfully within a realm of a price that you are willing to pay, then I am certain that I underestimated.

We'll see. The rifle is in the classifieds. I hope the OP gets everything he needs from the rifle.

At the end of the day, the rifle is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Until someone pulls out their wallet, it's up in the air. I don't see it bringing more than $750 or so, and I think even that's a bit rich. But I hope I'm wrong and the OP gets a great price!

My assessment of its value was in the range of what I would be willing to pay should I be in the market for such a gun. In that sense, it was probably a moderate estimate. That is why I inquired toward a higher estimate here whether or not that was a price willing to be paid. I do not hold others to my practices. Most normally, when asked to place value, I provide a price the gun might bring to a buyer specifically looking for the gun (high), a price at which it may sell given time (medium), and a price at "move it now"(low). If I am interested, my offer is usually in the low to medium range (unless I am in that "high" range category: been looking for one). Negotiations then may commence. Since I am not in that category on that gun, my assessment was in the medium range. Note the distinction between "interested" and "been looking for one".

It is a rather well-known strategy of many collectors to value a gun high in order to "sour the market" to other potential buyers (especially when asked for a professional appraisal). The shady collector then pounces (at a lower price) when the buyers seem to dry up at the appraised price. Gun shows are replete with these guys, and replete with "walkarounds" toting guns they've been told are "worth" so-and-so-amount.

I refuse to participate.

I see it as a good rifle, but a Whitworth would be better.
I see it as a great caliber, but off the rack (even if few) cartridge availability would be better.
I see it as a good scope, but it's used, and mounted a little high for me (likely due to the bolt throw)
I see the dies as a definite plus, but rarely do you recoup accessory value when included in a package sale.
As an aggregate, were I young enough to actually hunt with it, I would jump on it for 550 and might go as high as 700.
Were the rifle itself, in regular larger calibers, in present condition up for sale, I would put it in the 375 - 475 arena.
A Whitworth (maybe) 100 more depending on pristine condition.

As an aside, I couldn't find any support the Brown Whelan was offered by the factory in either England or Yugoslavia. So consider it a rebarrel. (not that my sources are by any means definitive)
It would make a good Elk getter, fun to work up loads, and unique camp fire conversation.
2.jpg

Old timey gun writer Dean Grenell had one of these. He called it the ".35 Boom-Wham", for the sound it makes and the impact on the shoulder. :)

similar to what an Ackley Improved casing does

Except for the crucial difference, that you can't just throw in some factory case (assuming there ARE Whelen cases in the first place), shoot it, and end up with a fully-formed wildcat.

It's overpriced if you can find nobody to buy it. It's underpriced if you have lots of offers at the price you choose. It's priced correctly if you can find just one buyer.

I like the rifle a great deal to me it's my kind of rifle. My problem is that I really don't need the hunting rifles I have now. If I had the money I would be all over this but honestly it's about 2 bills to high for me. I would give 750 with no issues but that would be close to my limit.

Heck I would of liked to have got that 1903 a
I would like to change out the scope to either a Redfield or I believe I have a fix Leopold? lets work out the details. cell 360-270-5433
I am not in a position to buy however changing the scope out does reduce the value of the package to me if I was buying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top