Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Answered Bringing threads back from the dead

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by mjbskwim, Feb 27, 2016.

1. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Man OH man I wish I knew how to do a screen shot! Perfect example right there as I write this,to what I'm taliking about.
    When you scroll down to the bottom of a thread or post in a thread,there is the "similar threads" box.There are threads in there from the last world war! I clicked on one that was Dixie Lee Ray talking about gun control!:eek:
    So the suggestion would be that maybe there should be a date cut off of how old a thread would be to be in that box? Say a year old,18mo? Some can be relevant like the animal threads,always timely. But the last one I looked at was about a gunman being shot in Edmonds in 2012? 13? Excuse the pun but that topic is dead and gone
    And I know it would be impossible to go thru each thread and weigh it's importance to today's going ons so the date seemed the best way

Nocaster, rick benjamin and Joe13 like this.
  2. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

What you mention, I noticed myself. Just a guess, I'd imagine benefits of being a paid member would give more search options from the archives. Like I've done, keep digging and open in new windows ;)

3. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

I'm guilty of posting in a old thread from the dead , before realizing just how old it is.
    But hey Zombies are popular now , so maybe I'm finally getting hip? .... Naw , I kinda doubt it. LOL
    Andy

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Agreed!

Adding a comment to a thread from 2011 when it is 2016 is a bit off putting as it is often irrelevant 5 years later.

I've always been a fan of starting new threads that are tailored to my specific issue or question.

But then people will bash you for not useing the search engine to look at old threads...:confused:

I like the locking them after a certain amount of time has gone by idea.

5. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

sound like more of an operator error to me:p

Sstrand likes this.
  6. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Ok you were all thinking it so

night-of-the-living-thread.jpg

7. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Me too.

Joe13 and DuneHopper like this.
  8. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

EEK!
    Well in a zombie apocalypse I'd be safe ... I lost my mind years ago , no brains to worry about.
    Andy

mjbskwim and DuneHopper like this.
  9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Hey if it was a fun thread but it' OK to start a new thread.
    Heck with the ones bashing you for not searching. I visit enough that I probably saw a thread on it.If not I'll start a new one. If I missed it,you can link it.Which many do.
    No bashing needed though
    Remember be nice:D

Mikej, Joe13, Koda and 1 other person like this.
  10. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I dunno, I quite enjoy giving the person a hard time who posts in a 7 year old thread unknowingly

11. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Youtube kind of has that with
    "Legacy comments"

Essentially after a certain period of time (1 year or so) a thread could be locked unless revived by the OP but still kept intact for information purposes.

mjbskwim likes this.
  12. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Zombie! :s0112::s0012:

Unfortunately there isn't a way to differentiate between the ones which are relevant (such as information threads) and the ones which aren't when listing them in the Similar Threads box.

From a policy standpoint we leave it up to the individual to decide whether they should bump an old thread or create a new one. If it's something timeless, such as 'show your guns', then we'd prefer the old thread get bumped (and will sometimes merge the old and the new).

Dyjital, Joe13 and mjbskwim like this.