JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple months ago I started at thread about bringing a firearm to Hawaii on vacation.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/86246-taking-firearm-maui.html

There were lots of folks who implored me not to do it, but I'm a bit stubborn and set about to legally take a couple handguns to Maui and shoot an IPSC match while I was there.

Here's how I did it:
1. Googled up an read about Hawaii's firearms laws & read them in their entirety.
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0002.htm
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0003.htm

2. Googled up "the best gun shop on Maui" and found DT Sports. DT Sports - Maui Hawaii I spoke to "Dennis the Menace", the owner and said, "Hey, I'd like to bring a few handguns with me and shoot a competition while I'm here, can you tell me how? I'll buy my ammo from you and a few mags as well just for holding my hand." Hold my hand he did. He gave me names, places, etc. Here's the short version:
a. 10round mags only
b. you have to register your handguns within 72hrs. of arrival
c. you need to have a signed bill of sale(copy OK) for when you originally purchased the firearms you brought with you.
d. you need to be at the Maui(in my case) County Sheriff's office between 8-3 Maui County, HI - Official Website - Firearms

3. We arrived in Maui on Friday at 1:30 and couldn't get there due to a dead battery in the car, so we elected to go Monday morning(this morning). We got to the Sheriff's office at 7:50am(I left my magazines in the car, just to make it smooth) at which time they took my cased firearms, bills of sale and copy of my ID, and sent me over to be printed and have a Polaroid taken. When I got back with my fingerprint card and Polaroid, they had my handguns/case and registration waiting for me. I signed the registration forms(I brought 2 handguns), they handed my copies of what I signed and by 8:35 I was on my way.

About the competition, it was at the Ukumehame Firing Range just off the Highway on the way to Lahaina.
Maui County, HI - Official Website
I'd never done IPSC before, even though the club I belong to has it. So I arrived on Sunday at 8:30, they were already set up and walking through the stages. Dan C. and Barry A. both stepped in and helped me through safety, rules and scoring. It was amazing. In fact I can't stop talking about it. Some of the people I've met here have said, "you can shoot in Maui?" or "it only cost you $5 and another $40 for ammo?, Gee, that's gotta be the cheapest attraction on the island!". The great thing is, I'm now on their "list", so I'll be back with them next time I'm here, hopefully I'll be in the top half next time.

The gun I brought was a relatively stock(stainless guiderod,marine spring cups and grip plug) Glock 17, so the allowed me to shoot production class. All in all, I was #20 out of #23, which was my goal, not to be at the bottom. I had a blast, met some great people and can't wait to do it again. They do this pretty much every Sunday, too bad my flight leaves too early for me to do it again this Sunday.

So, to sum it all up. Do it, bring a gun to Hawaii, but cover your bases, do your research, talk to the right people and just ask for help. You'll be amazed at how easy it'll be.
Scotty

Last Edited:
@slimer13 - No offense taken. I understand your point of view.
@wakejoe - I try to avoid fascist states as well.
@ DoubleTapDrew - I brought a knife too.
@RVTECH - The deputy that did my prints was from Massachusettes, he thought the laws here we benign and was amazed that you don't have to have any kind of license in Oregon/Washington.

For all, this is a tutorial to HELP people bring and use a handgun in the state of Hawaii. There's LOTS of misinformation out there. I chose to do this because if I didn't, I'd be like everyone else out there, doing exactly what the bureaucrats want, which is to keep firearms out. I'm not exactly thrilled with the registration process, but honestly, I've taken 3CHL courses, 2defensive handgun courses and hold CHL's from Oregon and Utah, they've already got my number.

Lets keep this positive going forward, please.

Last Edited:
@slimer13 - No offense taken. I understand your point of view.
@wakejoe - I try to avoid fascist states as well.
@ DoubleTapDrew - I brought a knife too.
@RVTECH - The deputy that did my prints was from Massachusettes, he thought the laws here we benign and was amazed that you don't have to have any kind of license in Oregon/Washington.

For all, this is a tutorial to HELP people bring and use a handgun in the state of Hawaii. There's LOTS of misinformation out there. I chose to do this because if I didn't, I'd be like everyone else out there, doing exactly what the bureaucrats want, which is to keep firearms out. I'm not exactly thrilled with the registration process, but honestly, I've taken 3CHL courses, 2defensive handgun courses and hold CHL's from Oregon and Utah, they've already got my number.

Lets keep this positive going forward, please.

Even with all that hooplaw you couldn't conceal it, could you? Just legally have it and shoot it in Hawaii, right? When picking places for our Honneymoon Hawaii was a no-go....

Maybe it would be easier to rent from DT for a match. There may be a market for IPSC, Speed Steel, or maybe even cowboy action in paradise.

When I go there I rent a Harley. Why not rent a set of SASS Ruger Vaqueros, a 73 lever, and a couch gun for a cowboy match (Bring your own holsters and boots)

Even with all that hooplaw you couldn't conceal it, could you? Just legally have it and shoot it in Hawaii, right? When picking places for our Honneymoon Hawaii was a no-go....

We got married in Hawaii, some 25 years ago. Never gave it a thought that I couldn't carry there.

Thanks for the info even though we don't ever plan on going back unless it's on a cruise ship.

Interesting - not something I'd do on vacation, but thanks for posting a tutorial on this. I had a vague notion that gun laws were stricter in Hawaii, but didn't realize they required registration.

That is a tough one for sure. I just got back from a week on the big island. I REALLY liked it there. I have been many places that are nice but home has always been home. I would actually consider moving to HI.

I went to Maui earlier this year and figured there would be too many hoops to jump through to bring a pistol.
Looks like I was right. :s0112:

I did meet a few people over there that offered to take me to the range, but I never had the time.
My benchmade helped me keep my sense of security.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top