JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is a tough one for sure. I just got back from a week on the big island. I REALLY liked it there. I have been many places that are nice but home has always been home. I would actually consider moving to HI.

Just to clarify, Hawaii is one of the strictest of the 50 states for firearms.

First of all, it is a "may issue" state...

In an exceptional case, when an applicant shows reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property, the chief of police of the appropriate county may grant a license to an applicant...
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0009.htm

Secondly, it is a crime to leave the gun unlocked if a person under the age of fourteen may have access to it. (Source)

Thirdly- if you ever went to any type of alcohol treatment or drug treatment in the past or are currently in treatment you cannot own, possess, control or even transfer a firearm (not that you were convicted of a crime, but if you went to treatment, like AA) until you get a doctor to sign off that you are no longer addicted. You are even prohibited if someone has placed a "No Contact Order" on you.(Source)

Lastly, there are even penalties on where you can store ammunition! (Source)

Those are the just the things that you may not know about...the main deal breakers for me ever living in Hawaii are:

*All firearms purchased in Hawaii must be registered and inspected by the chief of police in the county you purchased the firearm in.
*The Permit/License is only valid for 1 year.
*The Permit/License is only good in the Hawaii County it is issued in.
*The Chief of Police can put any stipulations on the Permit/License they wish.
*All pistol magazines must be 10 rounds or less ( <broken link removed> )
*At any time, any county in Hawaii can place an ordinance banning firearms in that county which supersedes any permit granted.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/hawaii.pdf

Still thinking of moving to Hawaii? Not I, sir....not I.

I know the firearms laws suck bad.

I love the weather there. Not too hot not too cold. Great for my bike. Great scuba. I can easily get a job there. Work 2 days a week in my normal job then "work" a day or two with a dive company and get paid to do what I would normally have to pay for.

Not saying I am selling off my collection tomorrow and moving. Just saying I might be looking into it.

I know the firearms laws suck bad.

I love the weather there. Not too hot not too cold. Great for my bike. Great scuba. I can easily get a job there. Work 2 days a week in my normal job then "work" a day or two with a dive company and get paid to do what I would normally have to pay for.

Not saying I am selling off my collection tomorrow and moving. Just saying I might be looking into it.

Ever thought of Florida? Sounds like the weather you want with the gun laws I'd be willing to follow!

Ever thought of Florida? Sounds like the weather you want with the gun laws I'd be willing to follow!

Every time I have been that way FL or SC it is supper muggy and hot. I dont like that.

Its not in the near future anyhow. I do a lot of traveling and been to a lot of cool places but HI has been the first one I really thought might be a place I really wanted to move.

Not only are the gun laws bad I do like to do bike trips and have been all over the PNW on mine. One of the downsides I have read about HI is after being there a few years you feel like you are stuck on an island........ Not a fan of that either.

Just got back from Oahu. I had a terriffic time with my family. I missed my EDC, but that's ok. The personal defense should be what we carry between our ears.
To the OP, thanks for a thoughtful and informative post. I was stationed in Pearl twenty years ago, so I already knew how strict they were.

One of the downsides I have read about HI is after being there a few years you feel like you are stuck on an island........ Not a fan of that either.

Very true. My aunt and uncle moved to Maui for about 5 years and after a while they got "island fever" and decided to move back to the mainland.
Last time I was there I wondered what people who live there make and how many jobs they have to work. Everything is so expensive, especially real estate and property!

I lived there for three years and it was, for the most part, an awesome time. If you want to be happy there you either have to have a load of money (and be willing to spend it) or be willing to live like a local e.g. not much beef/pork, lots of fish, veggies, fruit and not too many nights eating out. I miss the islands more days than not, but after my "awakening" to the direction this country is headed, no way would I live there.
If are on the islands and you get caught in a natural/man made disaster, unless you are tied into the local culture you are so very, very screwed. You might not freeze, but depending on where you are water can be difficult and food would be extremely challenging.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top