JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't toss that old beast. Unbelievable. I just woke up and learned that they mfg add-on LEDs that will turn your tired old Maglite into a raging beast. High power, low battery drain, high drag (put that in for you operator types) state of the art flashlight. I went looking for my old one and think I sadly may have given it to Goodwill. For $11 bucks you can upgrade it. You have a brighter light and the longevity of batterys that we use to dream about. This post is for the old dinosaurs who don't know this, evidently they've been available for quite some time. Wish I'd known. Clearly I must be living in a cave. The only caution is that there have been several iterations/models of Maglites, make sure you get the correct version for you as some will not work on certain models and some do.

Bulb only replacements:
http://www.amazon.com/LED-UPgrade-B...qid=1460738732&ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Terra also makes one for @ 16-$18 and it's said to be less desirable than the less expensive Nitetube version which I linked.

They make them for Surefire if you have one on your weapon. $6 bucks and you get a stunning 650 lumens. http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Flas...qid=1460738961&sr=8-4&keywords=led+conversion

Lastly, full on drop in kits are also available if you want to blind the neighbors. You simply unscrew the end of the Maglite and put on the replacement conversion kit. Fusionlite, Malkoff, Terralux and make them. The Fusionlite costs much less, at $26 bucks.

http://www.thefusionlite.com/fusion-36magli361.html

http://www.amazon.com/Terralux-TLE-...39065&sr=8-10&keywords=maglite+led+conversion

By the way, regarding the thread title, I know what century it really is...was just playing on my own ignorance of which it appears there are many:) Hope this can be of some assistance to some of you.

I have LED bulbs in mine.

Goes from a yellow/orange light to a white/blue color.

Just thought to add some friendly suggestion. ;)

Consider Maglites in this manner.
Maglight = Older vehicles have Halogen headlights. Bright, but not so, really.
LED Flashlight = Newer vehicles (most). Brighter, higher output, more throw

After playing with Maglight flashlights over the years, and putting in the LED upgrades, don't waste your money.
Buy a nice LED handheld.

I have a Maglite LED conversion in a AA mini. It's an improvement for sure, but for not a lot more money I have several Streamlight AAA flashlights that out perform the Maglite conversion. However, the thought of upgrading output and increasing battery life in something already owned is very appealing.
I have a couple of D cell Maglites that I would like to have LED conversions in.

Speaking to the Dinosaurs, remember when Maglite was about the only game in town? :D

As an aside, the somewhat tired phrase is "high speed, LOW drag" not high drag, so much, unless we talking Seattle's Capitol Hill, maybe then.:cool:
I have a colleague that has some LED upgrade for his 6-D cell that is insanely bright. If you'd like I can ask him what it is. (?)

http://edcfeatures.blogspot.com/2007/01/do-it-yourself-roar-of-pelican-rop.html for those who wants a spotlight level of brightness with a 2D cell Maglite... this upgrade is seriously bright.... unfortunately it also eats batteries like no other... :rolleyes: 1000 Lumens from this. Of course, it requires replacing the plastic lens and reflector with metal units, and some soldering, a new carrier that has 6 AA slots for the high end rechargeable batteries (2700Ma is what they use) ...
That's for those who want stupid bright Incandescent lights as opposed to a cheap LED one lol

As an aside, the somewhat tired phrase is "high speed, LOW drag" not high drag, so much, unless we talking Seattle's Capitol Hill, maybe then.:cool:
I have a colleague that has some LED upgrade for his 6-D cell that is insanely bright. If you'd like I can ask him what it is. (?)

Ayup... as quoted above, ALWAYS high speed and low drag... NEVER high drag... LOL. Us "operator types" knew what you meant though, turbo!

;) :D

I EDC an 850 lumen Streamlight ProTac HL. My nightstand light is a 500 lumen Strion HL. My wife and father both have a 260 lumen Strion LED (gifts from me) and My Glock wears a Streamlight TLR-3. All but the TLR-3 are rechargeable lights. And my EDC can use CR 123 lithium or 18650 in a pinch.

My old Maglites are long gone. Tried an LED upgrade kit, but it was no comparison to my current line-up.

I'm sure I'm not the ONLY ONE who has a maglight for its bulk as well as light output.

Way back maybe 10 years ago I bought a three LED conversion for a 5 D cell mag light, I think the conversion head was around $130 and put out like 200 lumens. A few weeks ago I bought an $8 Cree flashlight that uses three AAA batteries that puts out 800 lumens and three or four of them would fit inside the old mag light.

Pretty soon at the rate of change flashlights have shown in the last decade you will have a 10,000 lumen light that runs off a hearing aid battery that cost $1, shipping included

Way back maybe 10 years ago I bought a three LED conversion for a 5 D cell mag light, I think the conversion head was around $130 and put out like 200 lumens. A few weeks ago I bought an $8 Cree flashlight that uses three AAA batteries that puts out 800 lumens and three or four of them would fit inside the old mag light.

Pretty soon at the rate of change flashlights have shown in the last decade you will have a 10,000 lumen light that runs off a hearing aid battery that cost $1, shipping included

Maybe not quite that fast, but you're on the right track. Technology has gone from only available to the elite few to literally cheaper than dirt.

I have the mag light branded led bulb upgrade (I don't know if they still sell it) in a few of mine. They are pretty bright and the batteries last forever (I have one under the back seat of my truck that still works on batteries that I put in it in 2005) they don't work as well as the slick little tac lights that I carry around but when the goofy little lithium batteries in the modern wonders are dead when I need them those old mag lights still work.

Was LEO for 5 years last century when the all metal 4-cell Maglite was the only show in town. With either hand, it was automatic to hold it "upside down" near my shoulder. Happily, never needed to use it for anything other than a light.

Decades later, I keep one handy in each vehicle. Funny... can't honestly say right now if the batteries are still good or not. Time to buy fresh ones.

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in the LED upgrade.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads