JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not. I do not know of anyone who does the more i think of it. I could see bullseye shooters possibly doing it? But for going to the range/non-precision matches i don't see the need.

Haven't yet...

Run them until a fissure develops on the case wall and the case splits wide open like in that old cheesy move called "Earthquake".

Last Edited:
No on .45acp, 9para...

I actually own the Lee cutter stud and lock nut for .44 special, but I haven't ever used it. I suppose I could use it to turn .44mag into .44spl, or if I was making hot loads for a .44 rifle, then I could make sure all cases were the same length to get a consistent crimp. I only bought it cause it was like $6.

I have been shooting bullseye for 20y and have never trimmed a 45 or a 38 case and no one else that I know of does either. Some use only one lot of brass or sort it out by head stamp but that is about it

Of the thousands and thousands rounds I've reloaded, I have never trimmed pistol brass. However I was curious if others did and if I was committing the biggest faux paux of the century. It appears I am right there with those who responded here.....neat.

Ehh. I Mic/trim brass that has a roll crimp. If there's much more than .002 difference it makes for uneven crimps. So....38 sp, .357 mag .44 mag/sp. etc.

Ehh. I Mic/trim brass that has a roll crimp. If there's much more than .002 difference it makes for uneven crimps. So....38 sp, .357 mag .44 mag/sp. etc.

interesting. that's a bunch of work, but I suspect you get the benefit of consistency in the end.

thanks for replying -

I never have until last week. When I did I found a lot of variation in the 45 ACP. I used the Lyman with the stud in a drill and it went pretty fast. I found having everything the same length gave me better crimping.

I put a tight bullet crimp on magnum revolver loads, so they usually need trimming after about 10 reloads. When they stretch enough to require a second trimming they get tossed out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top