JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am in a rush, I HATE trimming! Each and every case is always within a thousandth. However, I'm not sure how the fancy trimmers that use the shoulder only (to trim from) can be as accurate as my trimming method that cuts from the "full length" of the case?

I have considered a simple 'base' to support a drill/driver and a device to attach to the trigger to allow it to stay running and set it at a lower speed.

Keeping the cutter running is a big part of the convenience and speed of trimming cases. When I use my lathe this is easy of course as it stays running and it is hands off.

I see no reason to keep the cutter running, and actually think that's not a very safe idea. Having the cutter running close by as you're changing to the next piece of brass is dangerous. You can easily bump your knuckles on the cutter with it running. And it will also run your battery down pretty quickly if it's sitting there running when you aren't doing actual trimming.
I prefer to chuck up a case, and just pull the trigger to trim it. Then release it and put the next case in. Safer, easier, and better on batteries.

I even hooked up a return spring to my electric drill to aid in just this issue. I set the case, bring a drill forward hit the trigger for a second let go of the trigger, drill goes backwards, I installed a new case.

I'm not sure how the fancy trimmers that use the shoulder only (to trim from) can be as accurate as my trimming method that cuts from the "full length" of the case?
I have often wondered exactly this myself but it must work well as it gets good reviews.

It's hard to beat the Lee system and after discovering the advantage of chucking up the cutter as opposed to the shell holder it has made it a whole lot easier. Less expensive too!

Don't underestimate the basic Lee case trimmer. Just like Lee's plastic powder measure people discount it because they think it's "cheap" but being plastic actually makes it more consistent than the metal measures. The lee case trimmer sets up in seconds and is dead trim length every time. The pilot is supported both by the case neck and flash hole so the trim is perfectly square. The biggest pain point is putting brass in and out of the lock stud but it's no worse than most other trimmers. At round $10 it's definitely worth a try.

A plug for the Frankford Arsenal Case Prep station.

It comes with collars for just about all calibers. I trim, chamfer, and debur all my cases on it. It has four stations with the fourth being a primer pocket cleaner.

Once it's adjusted, it takes me about 10 seconds to trim, chamfer, debur, and clean the primer pocket for one piece of brass. That is not hurrying either.

Pro: I think it's reasonably priced and comes complete. No extra parts to buy for different calibers.

Con: It does take me about 10 minutes (again, not rushing) to change between calibers. The cutter that came with it only lasted about 3,000 trimmings before I had to sharpen it. I finally bought a RCBS cutter and it's been working great since.

It does drop the brass trimmings straight down so I when I use it, I have it in a cardboard tray to contain it. When I'm done, I just use my shop-vac to clean up.

I moved away from Lee hand trim system to their quick trim dies. Once its set-up, it goes pretty fast. I have the power adapter and use a Black & Decker electric driver. Stick the casing in the press, hold the handle down and push down on the driver and turn it on for 3 sec.

I use a Lyman case trimmer, and their universal shell holder, so changing calibers only requires me to change the pilot and set the trim length. It also makes changing each case much faster than the standard fixed shell holder. I've gotten my trim time down as fast as I can, and it goes pretty quickly for most touch ups. A little longer when I'm forming and trimming brass from other calibers, which is a huge process that sometimes requires me to chop off 1/4"-3/8" from a longer case before final trimming; like when I make .40-50 Sharps from .303 British cases.

A sure way to speed up trimming is use a trimmer that trims and chamfers at the same time. It reduces time and handling by half.

Next is to have a power set up. Whether that is a cordless drill, drill press or motorized trimmer. The fastest i specialized power units. The slowest is cordless drills modified to regular case trimmers.

Another thing to consider about trimming it hand effort. If you have to hold the case, you may end up causing harm to yourself doing large batches. Look for a case trimmer that hold the case to prevent this.

No case trimmer is perfect. Each is a balance of these items and a few others like cost and ease of cartridge changes.

I chuck WFT's into a small Harbor Freight bench grinder. I've 3D printed a fan blade and shroud on the other side for active cooling since taking this pic.

Pros:
Grinder was <$30
WFT's do a nice job cutting.

Cons:
Grinder still gets hot after 400-500 trims
Have to debur/chamfer separately

20200515_123709.jpg

Last Edited:
I use a HF Mini Chop Saw to make rough cuts for brass that's way too long. Often when forming for oddball calibers I use the chop saw to rough cut the necks, and then move to final trimming. With a 20% coupon these are low $30 range, and very handy for softer metals.

62136_I.jpg

I have considered a simple 'base' to support a drill/driver and a device to attach to the trigger to allow it to stay running and set it at a lower speed.

Keeping the cutter running is a big part of the convenience and speed of trimming cases. When I use my lathe this is easy of course as it stays running and it is hands off.

I use a power drill with a foot pedal:

So, just to get this all straight. I can trim easily 12 cases per minute. I do have to go back through and Deburr and chamfer them. I use a power drill for that also.I also use a power drill to cut out the military cramp. Are you guys telling me you have a faster way than this? Specifically how many cases a minute are you able to trim?
About 3 seconds to trim to length, chamfer the inside and outside. I do a lot of high volume though.
I started out with the Lyman hand trimmer. I said never again. Then I attached a power drill to the Lyman with an attachment. Was better, but still sucked because I still had to go back and remove burrs from the inside and outside of the case mouth.

The Giraud makes all of this very quick and easy. Not for everyone, but once you use one you'll never ever go back.

The Giraud makes all of this very quick and easy. Not for everyone, but once you use one you'll never ever go back.

If I wasn't doing so many calibers the Giraud looks great. But considering it's caliber specific, and the cost to change calibers, I wont be switching to one myself. I can take a little more time and keep the huge expense of tooling up for all the various cartridges I do to a minimum.

I don't reload a bunch of different rifle calibers so I just trim 223/556 & 300BLK (recently).
I started out with a Lee zip it string trimmer then upgraded to a Lyman, then to a WFT. I am so tired of deburring and chamfering after I get done trimming 1,000 or more .223/5.56 cases so I'm going to a trimmer that does it all. ;)
Yeah, they aren't for everyone.

Last Edited:
I don't on a bunch of different rifle calibers so I just trim 223/556 & 300BLK (recently).
I started out with a Lee zip it string trimmer then upgraded to a Lyman, then to a WFT. I am so tired of deburring and chamfering after I get done trimming 1,000 or more .223/5.56 cases so I'm going to a trimmer that does it all. ;)
Yeah, they aren't for everyone.
If you do bulk, the $$ is worth the lack of raw fingers and time spent producing said raw fingers.

Amortized over a few years, it's not bad at all. And having to trim several thousand cases, to me it's well worth the investment.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top