JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it worth it, to measure each powder drop (to the last trickled granule)? Or is straight out of the hopper, "good enough"?
I think a lot of this is going to depend on the round, the gun it's shot out of, use etc.

Obviously match grade ammo is going to require 'to the last trickled granule' , but say for typical handgun shooting, plinking etc. hopper 'thrown' charges are probably satisfactory.

I load .357 ammo to the 'last trickled' but only because I shoot some of my .357 out of my Henry rifle and want the best accuracy, and do the same with my rifle ammo.

Now, my 9mm and .38 Special gets hopper thrown charges and even when shot out of my PCC I get excellent accuracy.

Last Edited:
Loading pistol ammo I do not weigh every charge but when it comes to my bottle neck rifles you bet your bubblegum that I will make sure each one is what's intended.

I've seen squibs and blown up ARs from no powder in the cartridge. That will not happen to me.

D952F5C4-8534-4989-8B02-7277C68241CE.jpeg 70776DDE-EEE3-4656-BB63-67A3B9128E05.jpeg

Last Edited:
Next thing you know......the question will be.....

Is it worth it, to measure each powder drop (to the last trickled granule)? Or is straight out of the hopper, "good enough"?

Aloha, Mark
I'm pretty anal about my powder charges. Pistol I weigh about every 8-16 charges. Rifle charges that use stick powder I trickle to the exact weight with my eye on a RCBS 5-0-5 scale. I like loading .223 with H335. I weigh every 8-16 powder drops.
Way back when I started loading my own, 2012ish, I loaded a box of .38sp and had one empty case, and a double charged case. No harm done, and I'll never forget it. That odd shaped .30sp brass sits on the loading bench.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews