JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You never really know if your kids actually hear and understand what you are trying teach them.

That brings us to the storm and the snow. My son is 11 and has a pretty dang good life. We don't hand him everything and the extras he has to pay for.
He's made $135 in 2 days.
I explained to him that the snow on the ground and the makeup of our neighborhood was ripe for some snow shoveling work.
He has been outside, all day, the last 2 days between working and playing. Not a windfall by any stretch but one step closer to buying himself a dirt bike.
The affirmation was receiving a text from a neighbor that hired him. Their kids were then inspired to work harder.
I couldn't be more proud of him and grateful that he is listening.

Last Edited:
I can remember dating a girl that was young (an adult though 14 years younger than me). I told her that I had this fear and we had to break up. She asked me to explain my fear. So, I told her.....

My fear was that....when I get older....I will probably be saying,

"Honey, change my diaper.....I poo poo my pants."

And she would answer......

"Ok, ok.....when I get back from my date OK."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....congratulations on a good son BBQ Guy.

I can remember dating a girl that was young (an adult though 14 years younger than me). I told her that I had this fear and we had to break up. She asked me to explain my fear. So, I told her.....

Aloha, Mark

Thank you.

Aloha, Mark

That's not a good enough reason to ditch a young hottie. Now, if she borrowed your golf clubs without asking...

My son and daughter are twins, and just turned 22. They are staying at our house while my wife and I are on a trip. We live in a rural area, and there are only two other power users past our house, so Pacific Power has us low on the list. We are used to power interruptions, the longest recent one was a full week in 2008.

The night of the ice storm, the power went out at the same time a transformer supplying the neighbor blew up. Power lines are down back towards town. The phone quit working, no dial tone. We are in a canyon with no direct cell service, so now that the roads are passable, they drive to town to call out. They had to clean sticks and limbs off the driveway to get out, but fortunately, no trees were blocking it.

They have been feeding the wood stove, and we have gravity-fed water. They cook on the wood stove and the barbecue. I have a diesel generator and a transfer switch. They fired it up and switched over. They run it three times a day to keep the fridges and freezers cold, as well as charge up the batteries for the flashlights.

They are both college students who are doing their work online. Having the phone/internet out has shut that down.

The kids tried to save a Magnolia bush my wife likes by beating the ice off it. Other than that, they have been picking up debris in the yard and keeping an eye out for damage. They look at this as an adventure, not a crisis.

My wife and I are very proud of them! :)

Good on your boy! A small group of kids could make a fortune in my neighborhood right now. As a kid my younger brother and I made enough money mowing lawns and shoveling snow to ride our mini bikes all summer and ski all winter.

Good on your boy! A small group of kids could make a fortune in my neighborhood right now. As a kid my younger brother and I made enough money mowing lawns and shoveling snow to ride our mini bikes all summer and ski all winter.

He and I snowboard.
He is responsible for purchasing his pass. We helped with getting his first set of boots, board, and snow gear. He now pays for the rest of it.
He spends the rest of the year doing yard and labor work. Similar to what you guys did. He's a pretty industrious kid and enjoys having cash for the extra things in life.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews