JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have 3 with a 4th on the way. 3 of the 4 are Pro Varmints, it's just a design that works for me. I pillar and bed them, 2 of the rifles are sub-MOA, and all were pretty much drop in, although all needed some minor tweaking. As already said, they're hard to beat for the price, and they look good too, even the basic black PV. Later.

I bought a used Savage 111 Trophy Hunter for $400 recently. I will be putting a E.H. Shaw .35 Whelan magnum barrel on it. And putting it in a Fancy Boyds Walnut Checkered stock with a recoil pad etc. And I will have well less then $1000 in it. (granted I already have the scope I will use) You can easily do the same headed towards a long range rifle. And as an owner of 3) 110/111 Savage and one Model 12 VLP DBM in .243 I can tell you the model 12 is the superior action by far for long range.

I put one on my Ruger American, and one on my American rimfire. Fit and finish are top notch, but going from a synthetic stock to a Boyd's, you will notice a serious increase in weight, as these stocks are heavy. Much heavier than any factory rifles with wood stocks that I own.

great stocks at a price unrich people can afford. i had 9. only had a fit problem with 1. had to shim under the front of the receiver on a savage A17. the high dollar stocks have to be great stocks. they're just high dollar in my world...

I've got a 110 tactical in .308 with a 24" barrel with their accustock that I use as my "mid-range" rifle. The action sits in an aluminum chasis that is integral to the stock. It also has swapable cheek pieces and stock extensions for setting length of pull. May or may not be a fluke, but it's a sub MoA rifle right out of the box.
moa or better is standard for savage out of the box. :)

Sticking my nose in here for an opinion or two.
Today I'll be lugging home an old Winchester Model 70 and it's stock is pretty rough.
I spent some time on the Boyds website the other day going thru the options. Pillar bedding is one of the options I'm interested in. I "bubblegum-U-Me" that once I receive the stock glass bedding will be a benefit, but what about having Boyd's do the pillars, too?

Edit; The bubblegummed word was assumed.

Last Edited:
if you don't have drill press i wouldn't try drilling. if you do, make sure press is stable & it WON'T move. make sure drill press table is locked down & as perfectly level as you can get it. make a jig for the stock to sit in. after putting stock in jig, C clamp or strap stock to jig. here's where to take your time and MAKE SURE THE STOCK IS PERFECTLY LEVEL IN THE JIG & IT CAN'T MOVE ! don't rush & drill slowly. the great big pillars you have to drill out so much wood that there's little wood left in some areas of the stock. i went to the hardware store and found STAINLESS STEEL TUBING that fit my take down screws a lot snugger than the big fat pillars. imo the fat pillars weaken the stock & NO AMOUNT OF INCH LBS. COULD EVER CRUSH THE S.S. TUBING. yes it takes hand work. cutting tubing to length you need [use an imp tubing cutter] take rat tail file & clean up inside of pillar & then scuff up out & epoxy them in. with fat pillars you've got 1 shot at it... the S.S. TUBING YOU CAN MAKE A MISTAKE AND & not have to get a new stock. just my opinion.:D:D:D SemperFi

@Ringo , Understood and I'm capable of doing the same. I think your method of using the smaller diameter tubing makes a lot of sense. But unless there's a good reason not to have Boyd's install the pillars, I'd just as soon order it with the pillars installed. I'd give your method a go if I already had the stock.
@CountryGent , Is the stock on your Mini the standard Walnut wood Boyd's offers, or one of the upgrades? It has a nice color.

@Ringo , Understood and I'm capable of doing the same. I think your method of using the smaller diameter tubing makes a lot of sense. But unless there's a good reason not to have Boyd's install the pillars, I'd just as soon order it with the pillars installed. I'd give your method a go if I already had the stock.
@CountryGent , Is the stock on your Mini the standard Walnut wood Boyd's offers, or one of the upgrades? It has a nice color.
if they install then that works... then if it doesn't work with your rifle it's on them... the one time i paid someone to put pillars in w/o using my receiver the pillars were off half a hole... so i taught myself how to do it... do what works for you and then you won't have the worry factor... it ain't no fun if ur worrying about something that's supposed to be fun... :D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top