JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
5_1_2014_obama8201_s878x582.jpg
President Obama has a water gun fight with his daughter Sasha on her birthday weekend at Camp David in this June 11, 2011, file photo. (Official White House Photos by Pete Souza)

The Boy Scouts of America, an organization with semi-military origins, has put out approved activities for its members, and water gun fights are strictly prohibited.

A blog for the organization's leaders said May 6 that pointing simulated firearms at people is not allowed.

"Why the rule? A Scouter once told me this explanation I liked quite a bit: A Scout is kind. What part of pointing a firearm [simulated or otherwise] at someone is kind?" said Bryan Wendell on the scouting website.
The rule is clarified in the Boy Scouts of America National Shooting Manual, which says "For water balloons, use small, biodegradable balloons, and fill them no larger than a ping pong ball. […] Water guns and rubber band guns must only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn."

The manual includes a lengthy list of other prohibited items — boomerangs, crossbows, potato guns, spear guns and throwing stars. Scouts also may not use "marshmallow shooters that require placing a straw or similar device in the mouth."

8281421412caa5064b0f6a7067000a94_s220x160.jpg
Boy Scouts salute as they recite the pledge of allegiance during the ... more >
The Scouting movement began in the early 20th century Britain under the tutelage of Lt. Gen. Robert Baden-Powell, who wrote the first "Scouting for Boys" manual.

Baden-Powell learned from his military experiences in India and southern Africa that young soldiers often lacked outdoor-survival skills. He also cited the Mafeking Cadet Corps, a group of adolescent and pre-adolescent boys that he used to great success during the Second Boer War siege of that town. The boys eagerly took on such essential military duties as couriers and intelligence, freeing older soldiers for more-demanding tasks.

Numerous critical journalists and bloggers noted that Scouting when they were boys included such activities as bottle rockets, wooden sword fights and Midnight Football, which a Gawker author described as "a sort of combat rugby played in blackout conditions on a hard tile floor."

Negative feedback flowed into the comments section of the blog, complaining of political correctness, of "turning boys into a bunch of wusses," and of an out-of-touch national leadership.

"This makes BSA look ridiculous and has little if any impact on safety," said Gary Holeiwnski.

"Sometimes I just have to laugh out loud at how idiotic some things in our society have become. We can't squirt each other with water guns because it is a 'simulated' gun. I can't believe BSA is so worried about the PC police that it has a policy like this," added commenter Gary USMC.

"Yes, let's carry every policy to the absurd extreme. That will certainly help scouts shed that geeky image," added another commenter.

The Boy Scouts of America National Shooting Manual guidelines are to be followed by anyone involved with Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting, Venturing, Sea Scouting, or shooting sports committees, the document adds.

Well that's it, someone please stop the world and let me off. It really shouldn't surprise me, but I just cannot wrap my brain around this at all.

There go the rubber band guns, nerf guns, spit wads, pea shooters, the list can be never ending. Sorry I lost my train of thought there.
:s0142:

The Scouts stopped representing what they originally were some time ago. There was a time when you could be proud to be a Scout. Now, not so much. They bowed to pressure to give up their founding values, and showed that they have no real values in the process. Standing for what you believe, against mounting pressure, is a sign of courage, dedication and true belief. There was a time Scouts would never have bowed to such pressure. But, as with many organizations, they were infiltrated by people that wanted to change them, and it happened slowly, over decades, to the point now that if I had a son, he would not be in that organization.

Now, I do have a daughter, and Campfire and Girl Scouts are off limits - my wife and I both agreed. She belonged to American Heritage Girls for a time, now is a Frontier Girl. Both groups unapologetically teach, support and celebrate American history, patriotism, liberty and our flag as well as other fine values such as kindness, helpfulness, self-reliance, etc.

[ A Scouter once told me this explanation I liked quite a bit: A Scout is kind. What part of pointing a firearm [simulated or otherwise] at someone is kind?"]

I wonder how long it will be before the American flag is removed from the Boy Scout's uniforms? After all, it's offensive to some, and since a Scout should be kind, it would only make sense that you shouldn't wear any symbols that are offensive to others, because that would be unkind. See folks, that reasoning (or lack thereof) really doesn't work when you extend it out to it's logical conclusion. After that, we probably shouldn't have the Scouts speak English, because that would be unkind to folks that don't speak it. Don't say the Pledge of Allegiance, of course. They probably shouldn't have uniforms, because that would be unkind and offensive to people that can't afford to have uniforms, or just didn't bother to join the Scouts. Oh, and we probably shouldn't have badges, ceremonies or different levels such as Eagle Scouts, because that would be unkind and offensive to those that didn't work to obtain those things. Seriously, my head is about to explode from all the BS :mad:

Taku, I'm with you on your post - if I say any more, I will have to dig into the profanity basket :(

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top