JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I shot a Pin Shoot last Sunday at the Emerald Empire Gun Club outside of Springfield OR. It was the first of the year and the first time I'd shot them since last Sept, I think. I brought my Rock Island ultra as my Pin Gun but was haveing much more fun with the Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt. I hadn't shot that gun in over a year which is a shame because I really like it and have had it for a long time. More practice is in order, I used to be the guy to beat and this time I scored mid-field. All in all it was good to get out , shoot and commiserate with the good ol' boys again.

Several years ago at Emerald Empire, I was shooting paper targets with pistol. Two members arrived and asked for time to setup pins at 25 yards. Sure, no problem. We all continued our shooting. Me shooting deliberate slowfires at 50 yards. They having a war with few pins falling. I stopped and watched for a while. They asked if I wanted to shoot some. Sure I did.
We set up a row of 5 pins and I loaded 5 rounds in my 1911 22 conversion. They were shooting mostly 9mm.
I had an Ultradot on the Nelson. Fired my 5 shots on the pins about where the AMF logo would be, offhand. All five pins down in 5 or so seconds. Their jaws dropped.
Kind of reminded me of my long ago Olympic Rapid Fire practices.

May have to check that out. I've shot a few pin matches at ARPC in Shedd, including one yesterday... definitely gets the blood up, going head to head against another competitor, gun racing at it's finest. I like my 625 revo in .45acp with 250 grain slugs running around 200 pf. Does a pretty good job of taking pins off the table, if I do my part and don't rush too much.

Among the various calibers etc I've tried at the Pins Iteration of How to Fail Miserably at the 'fast AND accurate' range game, my best extended string was using a 44 special load/200g FNL/ in 8-3/8" revolver. It was a great night, I literally got to continue in the actual competition, until the twilight faded enough my old geezerpeepers just couldn't see well enough.
More recently, it takes longer to drive to the range, than the time I manage to stay in the rotation. There's getting to be some really good younger pin shooters out there!

Among the various calibers etc I've tried at the Pins Iteration of How to Fail Miserably at the 'fast AND accurate' range game, my best extended string was using a 44 special load/200g FNL/ in 8-3/8" revolver. It was a great night, I literally got to continue in the actual competition, until the twilight faded enough my old geezerpeepers just couldn't see well enough.
More recently, it takes longer to drive to the range, than the time I manage to stay in the rotation. There's getting to be some really good younger pin shooters out there!
I find myself getting tired by the end of the match, harder to maintain the intense visual and grip focus needed. Do you use a reflex sight? Seems to help my old eyes, can shoot without needing corrective lenses. Were you at the ARPC match Thursday? I was the guy in the Steel Challenge shirt with the outlaw sixgun logo. Funny story, I practiced my Heineken off for the match that shirt came from, using a Sig p320 Legion. A week before the match, the optic blew up, and I ended up shooting the 625 at the steel match. Had fun, didn't win, ended up liking revolvers so much that that's my main thing, now. Every time I think about shooting the Sig at speed steel, I then think of all the lost brass on the ground, and I am dissuaded from such a foolish course of action. :p

Last Edited:
I find myself getting tired by the end of the match, harder to maintain the intense visual and grip focus needed. Do you use a reflex sight?
The best part of my day is before noon. Starting a match at 1800hrs is extreme disadvantage in my schedule.
I have far better accuracy with red dot but prefer iron sight wherever possible. I really like the challenge of bowling pins but rarely made the 2nd rotation. And I've slowed considerably in the recent flu seasons.

When and where are these matches announced? Are they members only for EEGC?

I've never shot in a competition, beyond fun range days in the army, but I like that range and it's the closest to me. I'd like to check out some of these competitions.

When and where are these matches announced? Are they members only for EEGC?

I've never shot in a competition, beyond fun range days in the army, but I like that range and it's the closest to me. I'd like to check out some of these competitions.
Check on their calendar, they put on lots of different shoots.

Might have to go check out an EEGC pin match, never been. :)
Yeah, me neither. It sounds like fun though. It's a nice range, it's where I go if I don't feel like setting up on public land. Not sure if the competitions are for members only, though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top