Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Boonie Packer Safari Sling?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by MilitantBEEMER, May 21, 2016.

1. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

So after hiking 6 miles round trip with my semi 30-06, I was extremely sore. That Remington gets HEAVY when using the standard sling... Anybody have experience with the Boonie Packer Sling made in Salem?
    http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=14
    I am hoping to find a sling that will distribute the 10lbs better. Thank you for any advice you an provide.

2. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

I highly recommend them, & have used them on my deer & elk hunting rifles for years now. Along with a set of Crooked Horn Outfitters bino buddies, it is the best system I have found for having your rifle & bino's at the ready all the time. If you watch the video, I carry my rifle more horizontal than they show. you can adjust the carry to your liking.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  3. MilitantBEEMER

Do you find it distributes the weight well?

4. 2gr8dgs

Yes, & throughout the day, I will make adjustments. A little more muzzle down, a little more up, based on the terrain, & strain I feel on my body. A Boonie Sling may not be to everyone's liking, but I think it is worth the money to find out.

5. MilitantBEEMER

Thank you

2gr8dgs likes this.
  6. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

I've found it tough to carry bino's with the safari sling, rifle scope gets in the way. But that Oregon liquid sunshine renders bino's fairly useless anyway, wet lenses fogging up. I do like the safari sling though,,,

7. 2gr8dgs

Your welcome!

8. 2gr8dgs

I use the longer sling for more clearance for my bino's. I'm about 6'-4". I usually have some flap of material over the eyepiece's to help keep them clear. I agree, it's a pain, but I wont go hunting without my binos.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

I always have the late war version of the M-1 Garand sling with over size hardware. It adjusts pretty easy and allows quick access. I carry a pretty heavy magnum Mauser and it helps as long as I have padded shoulders on. For those, A good logging supply outlet has chain saw shoulder protectors. You could also have some made to your liking. For my bino set up, I made a leather flap that covers the lenses when at rest, when you grab the bino's and move them to your face, the flap naturally drops out of the way. You just have to remember to put the flap back over the eye pieces when you put the binos back on your chest. I know a lot of guys that like the Korean war era fabric sling and use them on there hunting rifles. I use one on my FAL, and my M-1A!

10. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

I think I have a couple of them laying around,I've gone to using a backpack with a scabbard in it.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Ha, I have done that for long range hunting! Works out really nice that way too! Mine has a quick release on top, and all I have to do is reach back and grab the barrel and swing it over!