JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How on Earth does one decide what sling they want? I've never used them with an AR, however my new build has so dang many QD attachment points I just have to give it a try. Problem is...... there are more choices for a sling than barrels. It's just maddening and a wee bit confusing. Pretty sure I want a 2 point as I don't fancy the idea of taking an 8lb rifle to the boys, followed by smacking my knee on it. Input, ideas, comments, jokes?

Make one to your liking. Dye the leather black if you want it to match.
I'll note this particular rifle is several shades of tan/FDE and I'm admittedly unconcerned about matching colors. Interesting idea on making one. Wouldn't know where to start.

Wouldn't know where to start.
Not much to it really. Cut a strip of leather the width and shape you want and use Chicago screws to secure the swivels to the ends.

You can make it adjustable or a fixed length. I'll bet there is a YT vid on it out there. I have made several

Check this out for an idea of shaping and design.

Last Edited:
The Savy Sniper dual Quad sling is an excellent quality sling. You can order it either with or without the bungee.

But the thing that is super awesome about this sling is that it easily converts on the fly between two point and single point. It is wonderfully convenient and especially if you don't have much sling experience to know which type you want.

The adjustment grab ring works very well too.

And if you decide to go with a different maker, there are other slings out there that also convert between single and two point. It's a super nice feature to have.

They have more pictures of the sling in their gallery. :)

I'm not a fan of single point slings, the rifle whacks me in the jimmys. Three point are OK, but I'd rather stick with the two point using a modified hasty.
Vickers blue force gear for factory made. Usually have to buy the QD swivels separately. Quality QD swivels like Magpul aren't cheap, or use Grovtec for budget.
DIY - 1" tubular nylon webbing used for rock climbing, tri-glides and QD swivels. REI for the webbing and tri-glides, or Amazon/online. You can do 1 - 1/4" if you want, but I've never seen QD swivels larger than that.

The only AR sling worth your time is a Blue Force Gear Vickers. Citizen Gear Co makes excellent slings too that are nearly identical in quality with dozens of custom options.
Have one on the way. Primary arms has blue force stuff on sale so I couldn't say no.

Depends.

Are you looking for a carry strap or are you looking for a shooting sling?

For a carry strap, doesn't matter. Pick your favorite maker.

For a sling, it matters. Turner slings (https://turnersaddlery.com/ts/) are one of my favorites, but I have also taken to using the Magpul 2-point carry strap as a shooting sling on my Tikka .30-06 in the field. I like the quick adjustment for getting the tension right for proper offhand support, then the ability to loosen it and throw it over the shoulder should I need to.

If you front and rear retainers on you AR already then then you should buy a Blue Force gear two point sling.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/slings.html

You have lots of options as well if you don't have sling connection points on your AR.

On my home built AR I have Magpul CTR Carbine stock with a push button QD swivel mount. I put a Magpul M-LOK QD sling mount on the hand guard and I am using a Magpul MS1 QDM sling.

If you front and rear retainers on you AR already then then you should buy a Blue Force gear two point sling.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/slings.html

You have lots of options as well if you don't have sling connection points on your AR.

On my home built AR I have Magpul CTR Carbine stock with a push button QD swivel mount. I put a Magpul M-LOK QD sling mount on the hand guard and I am using a Magpul MS1 QDM sling.
I have QD points on the stock, retaining plate, both sides of the handguard... All over.

Got a blue force on the way. So far, it's pretty universally recommended and for about $50 shipped, it's hard not to give it a try. I also like that they're stated as made of cordura instead of nylon. Does it matter? Dunno.

Magpul makes a pretty decent sling. I have tried a bunch of slings and I like MS4. It's single/double point with QD and quick adjust. They've greatly improved over the years and compete well now. I do usually use it in single point mode, so bear that in mind. I just slide the rifle around to my side and it doesn't bang on anything.

Depends.

Are you looking for a carry strap or are you looking for a shooting sling?

For a carry strap, doesn't matter. Pick your favorite maker.

For a sling, it matters. Turner slings (https://turnersaddlery.com/ts/) are one of my favorites, but I have also taken to using the Magpul 2-point carry strap as a shooting sling on my Tikka .30-06 in the field. I like the quick adjustment for getting the tension right for proper offhand support, then the ability to loosen it and throw it over the shoulder should I need to.
I was surprised to see the huge difference in slings used for an accuracy tool and ones for carrying the rifle. Standard issue old school GI web sling can be a great tool. The Blue Force Vickers also has it's uses.

Anyone using an AR other long gun for HD should always have sling on their weapon. Also a good light light to identify a potential threat. I suggest walking in your home with lights out to get a feel of how the place looks when dark. Practice with an unloaded firearm with a light on it as well.

Do not make yourself a target by keeping your light on either. Movies are terrible at this where people are carrying firearms with weapon lights on them and they leave the light on all of the time.

Blue Force Gear is a great sling, tough as a tank and military issued...but is a bit unforgiving in some positional shooting. Vtac is a great sling as well, but the hanging tail will eventually work its way into something at the wrong time.

I went with Ferro Concepts slingster...no tail, and very forgiving for quick position changes.

Anyone using an AR other long gun for HD should always have sling on their weapon. Also a good light light to identify a potential threat. I suggest walking in your home with lights out to get a feel of how the place looks when dark. Practice with an unloaded firearm with a light on it as well.

Do not make yourself a target by keeping your light on either. Movies are terrible at this where people are carrying firearms with weapon lights on them and they leave the light on all of the time.
A braced pistol is great for indoors. Especially if you have amplified ear protection.

Blue Force Gear is a great sling, tough as a tank and military issued...but is a bit unforgiving in some positional shooting. Vtac is a great sling as well, but the hanging tail will eventually work its way into something at the wrong time.

I went with Ferro Concepts slingster...no tail, and very forgiving for quick position changes.
How do you like the pull tab? I was looking at those and thought it'd just be another dingus to get hung up or catch something. Or unintentionally adjust

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top