JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Bolt-guns obsolete?

• Yes, the guys in Arizona are right!

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • No, they are full of it!

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • Eh ... yes, but they overstated their case.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Dunno ... whatever.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • (burp) Eh .. wut? Arizona Tea as a mixer or sumth'n?

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
1) "As Andy mentioned, for the Afghani hiding in a cave with his ratty WWI-era SMLE, that old rifle suits his needs for the moment and is quite useful."
I recall a video of a squad Marines on partol in Afghanistan who were taking effective fire from somebody with a SMLE from outside the range of their M4s. Nobody dead but some down - a relevant observation about "obsolete" bolt guns.

2) Jeeps, etc.
When we lived in Westwood, DPRK (the hippie ghetto of the Sierras at the time) our primary vehicle was a Willys Wagon with 4 levers sticking out of the floor. (Secondary was a '41 Indian Chief for those days when the weather was good.) On the way into Susanville in a driving snowstorm we came up on a Porsche 911 that was fishtailing badly. I had the great pleasure of passing it with the obsolete Willys.

3) Most Scout rifles are boltguns. Are they obsolete?

i have a GUN WORLD magazine from 1962, article by col. Charles Askins (famous gun guru) predicting the demise of the wheel gun. so are revolvers obsolete??
Not in my book they aren't! :)

I have to admit though, you sure don't see military or even law enforcement using them much if at all anymore. In 1962 nearly every cop and security guard had a .38 Special of some type on their hip. If the criteria for "obsolete" is something that is no longer produced or used for a certain purpose, then I'd have to sadly say that it appears revolvers might be obsolete for military usage, and nearly so for law enforcement.

I forget where I saw it, but I think it was in another thread here somewhere, someone made the comment "revolvers are stupid". Whatever. To each their own. One of my favorite handguns is a Cimmaron Pistolero, a copy of the 1873 Colt in the original caliber. 148 year old design, still as strong as ever. Sure, long obsolete by military standards, but in the civilian world revolvers will never be obsolete, not in my opinion.

I understand what you're saying, and agree to a large extent, but I think we're talking apples and oranges a little bit.

Just because something is obsolete, doesn't mean it isn't still usable. The word "obsolete" I've noticed is controversial, and tends to bring about emotional reactions from some people (not directed at you Andy). I certainly don't mean it in any derogatory way. Even a flintlock is as deadly as it ever was, and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one.

For example, I was once talking to a collector and we were looking at a WWII jeep. I said something about them being obsolete and he took offense. No way, he said, they're still a great little vehicle, and good and useful as they ever were.

No argument there, but from a factual, practical, military perspective, the venerable old jeep is absolutely obsolete.

Obsolete: adjective 1. no longer produced or used; out of date

Fact- Front line bolt-action, infantry rifles are no longer produced or issued and used, by any major military force for their original purpose. By modern military standards, they are very much out of date. They are the very definition of obsolete, for that particular purpose. As much as I hate to say it, the same goes for flintlocks, cap-and-ball revolvers, and trapdoor Springfields, and any number of other firearms that I absolutely love to own and shoot. They're not obsolete for my purposes. :)

I once got into a similar disagreement by calling the M1 Garand obsolete. I have, well, more than one M1, and I'm a huge fan, but they are also absolutely, definitely obsolete for their original purpose. I still like them, and they're still a very effective, useful rifle, but the reality is that they are no longer produced or issued as a front line infantry rifle anywhere in the world in the 21st century. Why not? They're obsolete.

The 1911 is a little bit different. You would think it should be obsolete by now (and some Glock fans will insist that it is), but even by strict definition it is not. More 1911s are made now than ever. It's widely used not only by civilians, but it still has a presence in law enforcement in many places, and even a limited military role (I've been told). That's pretty impressive for a 110 year old design.

Modern bolt action hunting rifles, on the other hand, are absolutely not obsolete. They are widely produced and used for their intended purpose. Some may argue they're out of date, but that's pretty subjective, and you can't argue with production and usage. Some say that revolvers are obsolete. Well, maybe for military use, but otherwise heck no!

The word "obsolete" is pretty subjective in itself. You have to ask by what standard, and for what purpose? As Andy mentioned, for the Afghani hiding in a cave with his ratty WWI-era SMLE, that old rifle suits his needs for the moment and is quite useful. His cousin in the next village over is probably hammering out crude copies of it as we type! :) Hard to call it truly obsolete from that perspective.
Echo my sentiments, thanks.

I think its all about the intended purpose. Gas guns have advanced a lot in ranged accuracy over the years. The last couple years I was in the military my unit had the M110 (AR 10) and the M24s. The M110 is amazing at distance... for a gas gun. If you need to hit something small or at range there is no substitute for the accuracy difference you get from a moderately built bolt gun compared to a heavily built gas gun. That being said accurate (again in terms of gas guns) gas guns are truly a jack of all trades, but bolt guns definetly still have a place.

Obsolete:
1633132331763.png

It doesn't mean your gun is junk; it just means that it's not current military issue, to a modern army, anywhere in the world.

If a specialized bolt action rifle IS current issue, then by definition, that specialized bolt action rifle IS NOT obsolete. However, It's status as "not obsolete" does not affect your 1903 Springfield's status as "obsolete" for military service. It's not an insult, just a simple fact. The 1903 Springfield is still a great rifle, every bit as good as it ever was.

Shoot, I'm completely obsolete for military service, and I'm still pretty awesome! Right? Right?? :D

Obsolete:
View attachment 1042527

It doesn't mean your gun is junk; it just means that it's not current military issue, to a modern army, anywhere in the world.

If a specialized bolt action rifle IS current issue, then by definition, that specialized bolt action rifle IS NOT obsolete. However, It's status as "not obsolete" does not affect your 1903 Springfield's status as "obsolete" for military service. It's not an insult, just a simple fact. The 1903 Springfield is still a great rifle, every bit as good as it ever was.

Shoot, I'm completely obsolete for military service, and I'm still pretty awesome! Right? Right?? :D
Long as the wife says serviceable

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads