JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anybody know whether body armor deteriorates with age? While digging through the depths of a dresser drawer I found a T-shirt with soft armor inserts front and back that I acquired ~25 years ago. Since it has not been exposed to the elements I wonder if it's still good or if the material degrades by itself over time. After losing 95# it fits again, so I wonder if I can depend on it.

Yes they do have an expiration, should have a tag.

Now, if stored reasonably well & hardly worn, one may assume that it's still decent.

Note also that the technology may have improved significantly for rating what those types of armor may yield protection against.

Ex, same weight / size insert today, vs what you have in your possession. Same size today may offer protection up to .45, whereas yours may not. Just a simple exemplar.

Were they ours, I'd not rely on them as is. I'd use them as spall protection over non-coated AR500 plate, in a carrier.

Does anybody know whether body armor deteriorates with age? While digging through the depths of a dresser drawer I found a T-shirt with soft armor inserts front and back that I acquired ~25 years ago. Since it has not been exposed to the elements I wonder if it's still good or if the material degrades by itself over time. After losing 95# it fits again, so I wonder if I can depend on it.

A lot depends on what it's made out of. If it's Kevlar then it will be fine. The reason it "wears out" is bending flexing and such. A vest that will stop a bullet at 5 years , does not suddenly stop working the week after of course. They set those dates figuring with "normal" use and care they were safe that long. Now for a while they were making some with some stuff a Japanese Co came up with that was GREAT. Used to show them holding one and wringing it together like a rag. It was super comfortable and of course expensive. Then they found out different kinds of light degraded it. Too late they started putting out warnings. Couple LEO got killed and sued Second Chance into bankruptcy.

Last Edited:
Thank you. Not sure of the brand without digging it out again, but it has never been abused, and actually worn only a few times. It was stored in a flat position with no stressors, so maybe OK.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top