JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just went out today and sighted in a scope for the first time on my lever action rifle. One of the employees who helped me out recommended after I was done that I use blue loctite to secure the screws.

I have never used this type of super glue before and was just wondering if this is generally a good practice and if I ever need to is it possible to remove the glue to unmount the scope?

they were recommending to loctite the ring screws or what screws are you referencing?

if torqued properly you should not need to use loctite on base or ring screws

-J
Ring screws yeah.

Even if my scope is still not perfect I assume I can still apply the glue and scope it in again later? The point is just to keep the rings from coming loose and throwing off my zero right?

on a proper set of base and rings if they are torqued properly it is not needed. it will not hurt to put a non permanent loctite type product on the threads but honestly i dont know that i would tear down the set up just to do it.

for what its worth i don't run loctite on my personal or professional use rifles scope bases or rings. if anything a drop of oil on the threads to ensure a positive and accurate torque reading

- J

I think you probably should have degreased and used it on all base and ring screws before you sighted it in.
Loosening things after you zero, sort of defeats the purpose of zeroing.

The lock tight is there to prevent loosening and loss of zero, after you zero.
And to keep you from chasing your tail because you cant get the gun to zero.
It sucks when you notice something was loose, only after you fired 100 rounds and ordered a replacement scope. ;)

We were always taught to do a witness mark using nail polish or a sharpie on each screw head this will be obvious if the screw starts to back out and in the case of nail polish should harden to help keep the screw in place. If you are having issues removing locktite use a heat gun or hair dryer.

Also you are going to want to Loctite your mount and rings PRIOR to sighting in the scope. As generally Loctite is applied to the thread of the screw meaning you would have to remove and reinstall the screws after applying it meaning you're going to need to sight in again.

ive done blue locktite after the fact before. take one bolt out at a time and locktite it. install it. take another one out. repeat. never had to rezero. maybe its because im a boss.

ive done blue locktite after the fact before. take one bolt out at a time and locktite it. install it. take another one out. repeat. never had to rezero. maybe its because im a boss.

If you're happy with minute of barn accuracy it shouldn't matter one way or another ;-). I kid you should be fine but I would definitely at least reconfirm the zero after loosening the screws.

It was my first time zeroing and honestly I don't think I did an amazing job anyway so a rezero is happening regardless haha. More trigger time is needed.

I really wish I had a lighter trigger pull, half my shots it felt like I was pulling weights with my finger when I just wanted the thing to fire with like half the effort.

So I just went out today and sighted in a scope for the first time on my lever action rifle. One of the employees who helped me out recommended after I was done that I use blue loctite to secure the screws.

I have never used this type of super glue before and was just wondering if this is generally a good practice and if I ever need to is it possible to remove the glue to unmount the scope?

Hello,
Loctite not a glue... It is a thread sealant. There are two types, Red & Blue. Red is used for extra strong holding power, and Blue is for extra retention to ensure vibrations does not cause them to unscrew easily. When Red is used, sometimes heat is required to loosen it for removal.The problem is, you need to put it on the threads, not after is is mounted. That means you will need to remove the screws to put it on the threads. You might be able to do one at a time to ensure your scope does not move....
Hope this help!
Larry243

Not to nit pick but locktite makes a lot of colors for various applications:rolleyes:

IMG_2213.PNG

Tip
I use blue locktite on many tiny hex allen screws for various hobbies
to prevent stripping tiny allen heads after using blue locktite you can use your solder iron to heat up just the allen screws for easy removal without stripping the allen head or key

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top