JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I hope I'm posting this in the right section, if not, please point me where I need to go.
Anyways, I have a couple 1911s that I've considered holstering, but even with the leather holster, I'm concerned of the wear. Don't get me wrong, I know wear marks are a badge of honor, and any good tool will show marks from usage, but I also like keeping my stuff in good condition. My 1911s won't be daily carries, but rather occasional carries when I want to show off at elk camp.
That being said, I am aware of cerakote and such as well as the wax technique and sheepskin lining of holsters. I know these are helpful, but not a solution.
My question is this: Has anyone tried using a clear plastic protectant such as 3m clear bra or something like it? Maybe a self adhesive protectant like our mom's used to put on our book covers? Seems like the gun won't get too hot, being a 45 and not a smg. Removal may be an issue after several heat cycles. Thoughts?

I honestly wouldn't worry about it if your only going to carry the gun once a year at elk camp. And thats from my experience with a blued 1911 carried in a leather holster once a year for hunting...

There is nothing you can do really I wouldn't put any thing on it you can always have it blued again but I would be surprised if you could where it out in your life time unless you are talking it in and out of a holster five times a day

Last Edited:
Hey all, I hope I'm posting this in the right section, if not, please point me where I need to go.
Anyways, I have a couple 1911s that I've considered holstering, but even with the leather holster, I'm concerned of the wear. Don't get me wrong, I know wear marks are a badge of honor, and any good tool will show marks from usage, but I also like keeping my stuff in good condition. My 1911s won't be daily carries, but rather occasional carries when I want to show off at elk camp.
That being said, I am aware of cerakote and such as well as the wax technique and sheepskin lining of holsters. I know these are helpful, but not a solution.
My question is this: Has anyone tried using a clear plastic protectant such as 3m clear bra or something like it? Maybe a self adhesive protectant like our mom's used to put on our book covers? Seems like the gun won't get too hot, being a 45 and not a smg. Removal may be an issue after several heat cycles. Thoughts?
That'll work. It comes in different thicknesses, stiffness and stickiness. There's a place on the West side Portland that has a bunch. They gave me a big roll of it for free for some reason. I use it on my bike tank under my tank bag on long dusty rides.. works real slick.

I get the impression you're talking about putting the 3m tape on your pistol? I would definitely avoid that if that is what you're discussing first off you're going to affect the fit in holsters if its anything like the 3m tape im used to. Aesthetics are likely not going to be great either and considering you discussed the purpose being to show off the pistols I wouldn't want to do anything that would affect how they look. What sort of 1911s are we talking about? If the item has serious collector value which you want to maintain you should just avoid carrying it. If it is a more modern 1911 honestly I'd say just carry the dang thing a good leather holster will likely have less effect than some of the more modern kydex holsters.

What you should definitely do is get a Sig P220 Hunter in 10mm. Its a good looking gun to show off has a more durable finish so you can worry less about holster wear...and its in 10mm so you can remind all the .45 guys that you are in fact shooting gods caliber while they are shooting a puney second :-D The Sig P220 Match Elite in 10mm is a good looking two tone pistol if the kryptek camo on the hunter isn't your thing.

Last Edited:
It really sounds like your scared that the drunken troglodytes will drop it into the campfire, start scratching on it with a rock or just drool on it when it's passed around.. all understandable.
Maybe you could just take a picture of it with your phone and then pass your phone around to look at.. or just swaddle it with a regular ol' condom.

Thanks for the replies! I really like the idea of taking the picture and passing it around! I could download pics of guns I could never actually afford and claim them..lol!
I don't have anything fancy, just a couple bi tone's in the $600 to $1200 range. I don't use 45 nearly as much as 9mm, so they are mostly safe guns. I'm not so much concerned with damaging them as much as thinking, "Why damage them when you don't need to?" I have the clear bra on my car, and it really accents the finish giving the car the "wet" look all the time, so I thought maybe it would have the same visual look on the blued slide, while simultaneously protecting it from holster wear.
Sounds like I really don't use it enough to worry about

What ever you do, do not get anything that will hold onto dirt or water. I don't even like lined leather holsters as suede is hell on holding grit and dirt that will in the long run turn into emery cloth. Try to find a leather holster that is finished smooth leather on the inside and out and wax it inside and out and you should be fine.

IMG_3311.JPG

I lined my holster with the non hooked side of velcro to keep my CZ Shadow from getting all scratched :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top