JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The tax stamp burden is actually the same as the NCIC/Instant check system as far as the system itself goes. The only reason that they are doing fingerprints and photos was because there weren't computers. They had to keep track of you by hand. The law was passed so long ago and has never really caught up to the computer age.

It is a PITA so that people will not want to put up with the hassle of getting one. People that go to all the trouble to be on record getting a suppressor aren't criminals. Those folks that want to use them for evil just steal them.

Nowadays, the ATF could just run you and find out you aren't a bad guy (fingerprints and photos don't add anything to that record anyway--felons are already mugshotted and fingerprinted and their name itself will trigger a "hit") It's just a revenue stream for them.

If they pass it (and methinks it will pass eventually), suppressor prices might drop some, but I see that more jobs building them will be created to keep up with demand.

I'm not sure why any suppressor manufacturers would oppose this. The tax stamp and delay are the ONLY two reasons I don't have several suppressors. If they were a BGC only, I think I would have a few less firearms and suppressors for each application instead.

Now that I have fully thought this through, my wife wont want this to pass....:rolleyes:

Same reason's, I also own no suppressor's.

Their profit margins would plummet. All of a sudden 20-30 worth of aluminum can no longer be up charged to 3-400. 80-100 dollars worth of steel and titanium would no longer get you 800-1000 dollars in sales.

Margins in the gun realm are pretty good if you have already paid for the machinery to produce them.

The suppressor side of things is the same. Roughly most of the cost was labor.

I worked next door to a suppressor manufacturer back in Reno and he was a one man shop. He made 50ish cans a day. All automated. The materials cost decent amounts. Roughly 80-200 worth of steel and titanium to produce a 30 cal or bigger can. He charged in the thousands. I know the licensing was likely expensive, but I doubt he wasn't rolling in the profits, even being a fleck in the market share.

You remember Leim and T&L guns over Sparks way?

You would have to convince the masses that they arent completely silent death machines. I will bet against this passing.

No you don't, congressmen don't give a bubblegum what the masses think. You need to convince the congressmen that it's in THEIR best interest to pass it. It'll probably pass House and Senate. Bamma Lamma Ding Dong probably won't sign it though.

Attach it to a critical funding bill/continuing resolution.... ;)

Attach it to a debt ceiling bill.. guaranteed to pass all three locations.
:s0013::s0037::s0146:

Could you imagine the explosion of suppressor related items/accessories and such if they became legal to make yourself without approval? The line at the lathe would be stacked deep I bet.

Curious how many suppressor mfgs will secretly oppose this idea?
Their prices may go down, but I would just as soon buy from them as anybody else or make my own.

It isn't the cost from them that makes me think twice about getting a suppressor, it is being on a government list (the $200 tax for every transfer is no small thing either).

I would guess that although the prices might go down a bit (probably due to competition), the market would open up because more people would be willing to buy.

A friend of mine wrote Blumenauer about this. The letter he received in reply said that Mr. Earl thinks that Sportsmen and hunters could have certain types of firearms for hunting and target practice, but he thought the gun laws are the reason for all of the gun violence in this country.
What a buffoon!

...Blumenauer... thought the gun laws are the reason for all of the gun violence in this country.
As I keep saying, if there were some laws prohibiting criminal homicide, we'd all be safe! There's your loophole right there.

Humor aside, it wasn't but a couple of years ago a bunch of my professional associates agreed (in disagreeing with ME by the way) that there was no way in the world that Washington State would ever allow us to use suppressors outside of military or LEO capacity, and now look!

So I'd say never say never on this one, though it may take awhile. The things are not much more than a tube with a hole in it, after all.

As to the affect on manufactures, those already Mfging and selling those items will have a big head start. Introducing a cheap version of RF and CF models will suppress start-ups. pre-existing patents on more advanced designs will protect sales of advanced designs. Amazon sales skyrocket.

Crazy that many of these suppressors are $500-1000 and probably use less than $75-125 in materials. Huge markup for suppressors.
Part of the expense of the more expensive cans is materials, part is also in tooling - working Inconel and Titanium eats lathe/mill bits much faster than most steels and aluminum. I'm not saying the profit margin isn't incredible currently (even considering the R&D for baffle design) but working with the premium metals does come with some added expense.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews