JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A store has the Right to set whatever price they believe their service is worth. ARKLITE881South thinks it's OKay for two people to walk into a place of business where they have ZERO plans to spend any money. Another excellent example of someone who does NOT have a clue how a business works. I'd feel sorry for him but I don't think it would make any difference. Stupid has no cure.

A store has the Right to set whatever price they believe their service is worth. ARKLITE881South thinks it's OKay for two people to walk into a place of business where they have ZERO plans to spend any money. Another excellent example of someone who does NOT have a clue how a business works. I'd feel sorry for him but I don't think it would make any difference. Stupid has no cure.

Except that it is mandated by law these people must use the store. If they had the option of calling WSP or OSP depending on state, and getting a free NICS check (wa) or $10 osp check, fine. Transfers do not typically take more than 10 minutes of paperwork, and theres very little assumed risk on the FFLs part. He is the legal facilitator, nothing more. Shafting customers on transfers is exactly how to run off potential customers. I will happily patronize a shop that doesn't feel the need to add a f___ you fee to transfer costs, just because they can. A *reasonable* transfer fee is more likely to loosen my wallet, especially if tge shop has other items that catch my eye.

But by all means, shops should be free to charge what they want. They are also free to piss off potential customers and go broke. Very few FFLs speak out againt UBC bills, because they want that extra revenue stream. Lots of vultures and aholes in the gun business. Look at X Products, Daniel Defense, and The Gun Room for examples.

The FFL mandate was the states way of killing secondary market gun sales. FFLs like it because they get more new sales. Why buy used when the gun + gas + transfer fees costs almost as much, or as much as a brand new one?

I happen to agree that $50.00 is too mach for a transfer. Am I stupid too? Luckily I have the option to choose a store that doesn't charge so much. Also, I wouldn't patronize such a store. Lucky him, he won't have to deal with stupid people's money.

I sold a pistol advertised on this site to someone I'd never met. He had a super common name, which I thought was a little odd for a younger guy. It did end up taking a little over an hour with some phone calls to get it cleared up.

I would do a bgc on anyone I didn't know. Should the bgc be mandatory? No. I should be able to sell, gift or let anyone I trust hold/store my guns. Whether the person you sold the gun to does anything illegal with it regardless it's their actions. If the courts are letting dangerous people on the streets maybe the laws should be focused elsewhere.

Except that it is mandated by law these people must use the store. If they had the option of calling WSP or OSP depending on state, and getting a free NICS check (wa) or $10 osp check, fine. Transfers do not typically take more than 10 minutes of paperwork, and theres very little assumed risk on the FFLs part. He is the legal facilitator, nothing more. Shafting customers on transfers is exactly how to run off potential customers. I will happily patronize a shop that doesn't feel the need to add a f___ you fee to transfer costs, just because they can. A *reasonable* transfer fee is more likely to loosen my wallet, especially if tge shop has other items that catch my eye.

But by all means, shops should be free to charge what they want. They are also free to piss off potential customers and go broke. Very few FFLs speak out againt UBC bills, because they want that extra revenue stream. Lots of vultures and aholes in the gun business. Look at X Products, Daniel Defense, and The Gun Room for examples.

The FFL mandate was the states way of killing secondary market gun sales. FFLs like it because they get more new sales. Why buy used when the gun + gas + transfer fees costs almost as much, or as much as a brand new one?

I happen to agree that $50.00 is too mach for a transfer. Am I stupid too? Luckily I have the option to choose a store that doesn't charge so much. Also, I wouldn't patronize such a store. Lucky him, he won't have to deal with stupid people's money.
Dang if you don't like what somebody charges then get off your deadend and get your own FFL! No body is stopping you and then you too can be expected to give away your time and services. As I said: Stupid has no cure.

Just came home from picking up the Mauser I bought from Gunnerboy. My local pawn shop charges 30.00 but I gave him 50.00. It is a real PIA to do a transfer and if a mistake is made, his bubblegum is on the line. I appreciate his service and want to encourage him to continue doing it. It took his undivided attention for 30 min, I don't begrudge him the few extra bucks.......it won't change what I have for dinner.

This is why I'm no longer doing person to person deals anymore. I'd just assume ship it to an FFL and not have to deal with the potential of being stood up by the buyer (which has happened) and/or the FFL and their policy of the week nonsense. Face-to-face sales are just more of a PITA anymore than I'm willing to go through.

We all certainly have that option here. I sold one hand gun a while back that way, just took it to my favorite dealer. Perhaps because I am a good customer they gave me $200 in cash for a pistol that if I had sold it FF I would have asked $250 for and probably been able to get. So I figure it cost me $50 maybe, for the ease. The Rifle I just sold for $350 I probably could have gotten another $50 out of if I could make a Face to fave sale. One dealer I checked with on line wanted to buy it for $175 and he would pay the shipping. For that price I would have just let it gather dust in safe. It's all in how bad the buyer wants to sell something. Can't fault the dealers for what they offer as they have to hold inventory, pay overhead to have a shop, and of course have to make money off the sale or why be in business.

Dang if you don't like what somebody charges then get off your deadend and get your own FFL! No body is stopping you and then you too can be expected to give away your time and services. As I said: Stupid has no cure.

The guy I just sold my rifle to asked me about that when he first contacted me. I told him my favorite shop had done it for me for $25 several times buying a gun from the Auctions. I told him I did not know if they gave me a better price though since I have shopped there since they opened. He wanted to use a shop I had never heard of I assume he knows. They wanted $30 and he said to him that seemed too much. I told him same thing, call around and ask since the deal was he had to pay. I told him I was "hearing" it ran from $25-50 around me here total, we don't pay the extra like some do. The shop he choose was one I swore I would never set foot in again after a bad experience but since it was his dime I did not care. Did not notice what they charged him. The did want my ID and phone# which was fine with me. Bottom line as I said when I started this is to call ahead, talk to someone who can tell you facts on the policy at that store before you jump in the car and head over to meet someone. Especially as there is always a good chance the person will not show. So best to at least know for sure what the shop wants and how they do it first. Phone call is a lot easier than driving there, then finding out they do not do it the way others said.

Just came home from picking up the Mauser I bought from Gunnerboy. My local pawn shop charges 30.00 but I gave him 50.00. It is a real PIA to do a transfer and if a mistake is made, his bubblegum is on the line. I appreciate his service and want to encourage him to continue doing it. It took his undivided attention for 30 min, I don't begrudge him the few extra bucks.......it won't change what I have for dinner.

I like to see members here call out dealers by name,both good and bad. The ones who give good service deserve to have those happy with them tell others. I let word of mouth on a place like this influence me a lot if I am looking for a place.

This is just a FYI kind of thing for those who want to sell here now with the new law. Selling a PCC. Buyer wanted and set a meet. First thing that happened was shop when walked in wanted to know "did you set an appointment?". Said no, buyer wanted to use you. So he has CPL and gets delayed. Shop said call next week. The shop DID NOT take the gun and let me get paid. Now this is not how I have "heard" it done at others so take this for what it's worth. If this was a handgun I was selling and the buyer did not have a CPL he would not have been able to make the buy at all. So bottom line if you have not done this I would call and ask the shop before showing up thinking it will go a certain way.

Some ffl's do things different than others. I was told that if the other party was delayed the ffl will take possession of the firearm until buyer is approved. needless to say that was not a option. i called a couple others and found one that doesn't . They need to pass legislation that if a person has a CHL that the dont need to go through the process . They already have had more back ground checks than required . the same with the guys that have a C&R license.

Some ffl's do things different than others. I was told that if the other party was delayed the ffl will take possession of the firearm until buyer is approved. needless to say that was not a option. i called a couple others and found one that doesn't . They need to pass legislation that if a person has a CHL that the dont need to go through the process . They already have had more back ground checks than required . the same with the guys that have a C&R license.

This is a GREAT example of the "we need common sense gun laws" crowd. Remember when the "insta check" was being kicked around? A LOT, of gun owners were all on board. I have to say it did "sound good". I was skeptical from day one and my fears were correct. I did not trust a Gov run agency to do anything well. This has proven true again. As has been mentioned this state has has a check mandatory to buy a hand gun for all my life. So they were smart enough to say if you have a permit you skip this. Well when insta check went in they just put yet another check on. Gun owners supported this crap with the "we need to compromise" stuff. The compromise always only goes one way, more laws that only effect the law abiding. Give it a while and gun owners will line up to vote for yet another one any day now. All I can do is hope some will wake up but it never seems to happen.

Yes, stupid has no cure. And the "small" in "small businessman" often refers to the man and not the business. There's a reason why small businesses remain small. It's called stupidity. I used to be a member of a small business association. When you spend $25 per new customer in radio or TV advertising to get someone to come through the door to your business the first time it's considered a success. The BGC law does that for free. All you have to do is NOT piss them off or scare them away with high prices or high-horse attitudes. The LGS is in effect getting paid $25 in advertising each time a new customer comes in to make a transfer. I now have a couple of new LGS's on my radar since I completed transfers there. Would I have wandered into the Gun Runner out on 99W in Junction City without going there to make a transfer? Probably not. But I will look there next time I need something. It just goes to show that any idiot can run a small business, and lots of them do.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top