JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is just a FYI kind of thing for those who want to sell here now with the new law. Selling a PCC. Buyer wanted and set a meet. First thing that happened was shop when walked in wanted to know "did you set an appointment?". Said no, buyer wanted to use you. So he has CPL and gets delayed. Shop said call next week. The shop DID NOT take the gun and let me get paid. Now this is not how I have "heard" it done at others so take this for what it's worth. If this was a handgun I was selling and the buyer did not have a CPL he would not have been able to make the buy at all. So bottom line if you have not done this I would call and ask the shop before showing up thinking it will go a certain way.

Good to know...
I am trying to work a trade at the moment...Just a good reminder to ask your FFL for everything he will need before setting up the deal...
Sorry for your headache...but thanks for posting.
Andy

That was not my experience here in Oregon at all. I just sold a gun to a friend through a pawn shop that was also an FFL dealer. We walked in right when they opened, Presented both of our ID's and the gun. The transfer was completed in under 10 minutes and we both walked out, me paid and him with his new to him gun.

That was not my experience here in Oregon at all. I just sold a gun to a friend through a pawn shop that was also an FFL dealer. We walked in right when they opened, Presented both of our ID's and the gun. The transfer was completed in under 10 minutes and we both walked out, me paid and him with his new to him gun.

I had heard a few different versions of this here. That's why I was letting others know that if they have not used the particular FFL before best to call first. Find out if they do this and what their policy is on how. Rather that walk in thinking "well someone told me this is how it works" only to find out that's not how everyone does it. The buyer got the gun today BTW. He called me this afternoon saying the shop had called him saying the Feds gave him the proceed so he got his gun. I doubt that part will matter what state your are selling in as that's just part of the stupid NICS law. The system does not always work "instantly" as it was touted. Weekends seem to be when there is most likely to be this kind of problem. Also some had told me they had seen an FFL just take the gun so seller could walk and the buyer had to wait. I had expected this would be what would happen and at this FFl that was certainly not the case. Again why I was letting others know, call first rather than assume it will go as you heard others say it would. Just makes me that much more reluctant to sell any guns here any more which I guess is a good thing. I will not have to worry about selling something then later wishing I had not :) Still just burns me we have to do this stupid crap when the only people who are effected are the law abiding anyway. This will do nothing to stop criminals, like all gun laws.

I just did a transfer of a handgun in Washington with a CWP holder. It was delayed the FFL
dealer held the handgun until a 'Proceed' was received 4 days later. :oops: Good info I thought
all FFL dealers handled all transfers the same. Thanks

I just did a transfer of a handgun in Washington with a CWP holder. It was delayed the FFL
dealer held the handgun until a 'Proceed' was received 4 days later. :oops: Good info I thought
all FFL dealers handled all transfers the same. Thanks
I thought that was what would happen too and apparently some FFL's will do it this way. The one I used does not. Only reason I used this one in the first place was buyer wanted to use him and buyer was paying. So it was a good lesson on call and make make sure I know how the FFL does things before showing up.

Good to call first. We went to one in Tigard that wanted a color copy of the seller's license. The one we did a transfer at this weekend on the east side at Pacific Pawn and Cash, took 20 minutes because of the line for NICS check. $35 easy as pie.

This is why I'm no longer doing person to person deals anymore. I'd just assume ship it to an FFL and not have to deal with the potential of being stood up by the buyer (which has happened) and/or the FFL and their policy of the week nonsense. Face-to-face sales are just more of a PITA anymore than I'm willing to go through.

Won't be long now for the declaration; "the good old days", along with the times they embrace will fade from the minds of all humanity, never to be uttered again in earnest.
I'll take comfort when my time comes to have lived many years during what is now, just sweet reverie.

I never take for granted things like this, and always call the appropriate FFL used for transfer, to verify acceptance of the transfer visit if a new source, or if for no other reason, to verify they are open and their computers are up and running.
As an aside;
My purchase and B.C. Saturday @ Lucky Sporting Goods, LLC | Firearms and Gear for sale | Banks | 97106 was completed and approved almost at the last keystroke into his computer, (I was still doing thumb prints) and without fees. Thank you kindly.

Good to call first. We went to one in Tigard that wanted a color copy of the seller's license. The one we did a transfer at this weekend on the east side at Pacific Pawn and Cash, took 20 minutes because of the line for NICS check. $35 easy as pie.

An FYI, Tigard Pawn 4 More only wants color copy of your ID in a person to person BGC. Not for a transfer that is shipped to them. And it's $25.00 still.

I was in a LGS the other day in the valley, 2 guys walked in inquiring about the cost of a transfer. Counter guy say's 50 bucks plus 10, didn't blink an eye. I think that's taking advantage of a sad situation.

I was in a LGS the other day in the valley, 2 guys walked in inquiring about the cost of a transfer. Counter guy say's 50 bucks plus 10, didn't blink an eye. I think that's taking advantage of a sad situation.

That's good reason not to give biz to that shop. You should out them.

I don't recall how many gun shops were standing up for our rights and screaming against the SB 941 but I don't think there were many. It would seem there were a bunch that saw the law as a cash cow for themselves. :rolleyes:

This is a small business covering his behind. All the potential problems and the LGS is on the hook. I don't blame them. Look around - pawn shops have stepped up this service.

At an Oregon gunshow you can call in a bgc yourself for $10 if you are an Oregon resident. That being said, I see some guns I would buy in the classifieds but by the time I drive to get them and pay the fee I could buy a new one at a store. Forcing us to use a dealer when we could just call it in ourselves really hurts commerce but in the managed decline of our state the government doesnt' care, fact is they want it to hurt.

And don't forget to bring a gun lock too, otherwise it's $6.00 to buy one from them.

Good point, but I believe being cased will work too. I sold a revolver to a member and they allowed him to borrow a lock to get the gun to his car, and then bring it right back. His car was four spaces out from the door.

Walmart's policy is that once you fill everything out, and then if you get delayed, they will not proceed with selling a long gun although the law states that they have to give an answer bsck about denying or proceedi g with the sale 3 business days not counting the day you filled out the 4473 form over thier computer system.
Soooo, what Walmart does is, if they do not hear back about your background check, they will not proceed with the sale even with holding the sale up to a 30 day period. Then it is a catch 22 thing, because after a month and no proceed ahead with the sale is still not given, then Walmart makes you have to start filling out the form ALL over AGAIN. :confused:o_O:rolleyes:

This is a small business covering his behind. All the potential problems and the LGS is on the hook. I don't blame them. Look around - pawn shops have stepped up this service.

I'm not actually blaming them, but, why so much, plus, this store looks like its closing, its been that way for the past 3-4 yrs. Others in the same area are doing the same ''service'' for 30 dollars. I guess if you don't mind adding that amount for the transfer onto the price of the weapon being sold, or splitting it, what ever works.

I am uncomfortable selling a gun to a stranger without using a FFL and if a guy isn't willing there is usually a reason. We have had mandatory FFL assisted transfers in California for decades, some shops over charge because they don't like competition or the hassle. 20 years ago there was a major gun/outdoor retailer in Fresno that wanted 100.00. They didn't like people buying from wholesalers on line and cutting them out. That being said, the process is time consuming and the records are tedious so they do need to get paid for there service. A reasonable price for good service is always appreciated and warranted.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top