JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Ernie Kovacs Show

The Show of Shows with Imogene Coca and Sid Ceaser

My Little Margie with Gale Storm

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

The Honeymooners with Jackie Gleason and Art Carney

Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden

Last Edited:
My Little Margie with Gale Storm

Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden

I was a sickly child, home a lot with asthma and/or bronchitis. Watched a lot of TV and couldn't wait for the soaps to be over so that those two shows came on. And there was also Lone Ranger, Sky King, Sea Hunt, Whirlybirds, Sugarfoot.

Didn't watch much Rawhide, tho I think it was a great show. Nor Rifleman, Wagontrain, or Have Gun, Will Travel. But later I thought Boone was great in Hec Ramsey. Watched a bit of Columbo, who didn't? A small amount of Perry Mason, and Cannon. A small amount of Leave It To Beaver, and a tiny bit of Father Knows Best.... I always wanted those shows to get of the way for the action series to come on.

Also one of the all time best was Topper... with Leo G. Carroll.

Mr. Magoo.
Huckleberry Hound/Yogi Bear Show

Best of Class = George of the Jungle

I was a sickly child, home a lot with asthma and/or bronchitis. Watched a lot of TV and couldn't wait for the soaps to be over so that those two shows came on. And there was also Lone Ranger, Sky King, Sea Hunt, Whirlybirds, Sugarfoot.

Didn't watch much Rawhide, tho I think it was a great show. Nor Rifleman, Wagontrain, or Have Gun, Will Travel. But later I thought Boone was great in Hec Ramsey. Watched a bit of Columbo, who didn't? A small amount of Perry Mason, and Cannon. A small amount of Leave It To Beaver, and a tiny bit of Father Knows Best.... I always wanted those shows to get of the way for the action series to come on.

Also one of the all time best was Topper... with Leo G. Carroll.

Mr. Magoo.
Huckleberry Hound/Yogi Bear Show

Best of Class = George of the Jungle

We're old. I remember all those shows. Laying on grandmas couch, before and after school, watching all those show.

"My Three Sons". They all had a message too it seems now.

Topper was one of my absolute favorites.

I thought Leo G. Carroll the coolest old guy ever...now I'm probably older than he was when I watched his show.

Oh well, still above ground, wait, what am I saying?

I'm not going to be housed in a casket down below, I'll be going up in smoke when it's my time to shuffle off this mortal coil...

Topper was one of my absolute favorites.

I thought Leo G. Carroll the coolest old guy ever...now I'm probably older than he was when I watched his show.

Oh well, still above ground, wait, what am I saying?

I'm not going to be housed in a casket down below, I'll be going up in smoke when it's my time to shuffle off this mortal coil...

Wasn't there a remake of Topper later on? Yes, it was starring Kate Jackson, and Andrew Stevens (yuck).

Another good one was The Ghost and Mrs. Muir with Hope Lange... she won two Emmy's but the show lost in the ratings war and was cancelled after two years.

Cremation.... Johnny Carson said before he died that he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread over Nicole Kidman's body! I have two wishes:

1. I want my body to be spread all around Disneyland.

2. I don't want to be cremated.

:D

OK, my quirky perspective: I don't mind spending big bucks for things I want, but I want good value for my moola.

The cost for a 'garden variety' funeral, totes up to include the chemicals you get infused with so you don't stink. The 'Shaman" telling folks at the funeral home what a great person you were. (whoever you may be) The parade to the bone yard. The hideously expensive coffin. The burial plot. (your special little yard) The labor to dig up the ground and then backfill the same hole you'll be residing in. A big granite headstone with factoids engraved on it about your past life. Plus, ancillary costs like flowers, etc.

Remember all the above is for a standard issue planting, not a mausoleum or some other fancy way to get rid of your carcass. You don't wanna know what that sort of send off costs...

The cost for a 'coach class' funeral averages $10,000 on up...sometimes way up even for an el cheapo riddance...

Now, compare that to the nuttin fancy cremation.

Cost: $850 to $1250.

They pick up your dead self, deliver it to the crematory and boom they get er - done. They throw in the necessary death certificates too. Your bone salts get packaged for take home by a presumed love one. Or you can tell the funeral folk, thanks, but no thanks, you keep em.

If one goes in for simplicity and low cost, this is way I choose. Bigger bang for the buck and I get to laugh at the funeral industry who didn't get to skin my wife for thousands more than it's worth to me... Ah, assuming I kick the bucket first.

For me, this disposal approach seems the simplest manner in which to sign off, given I have no illusions about divinity and it's particulars.

Also please consider this: After 2 or 3 generations of those that knew you, you're completely, utterly forgotten. Oh, maybe, some of your progeny might mention their Great Grandpa or Grand Mother, but soon the sands of time kill these people off and now not even they (except in very, very rare cases) are around to remember you.

Now fast forward a 1000 years, 10,0000, a 100,000 etc. and you might as well have not existed.

Ah, fun things to think about...

Cost: $850 to $1250.

I keep hearing about these bargain priced cremations. Not here.

Cremation: $1500
Cost to pick dad up from the home: $200
Cost to transport dad to the funeral parlor: $400
Cost of cremation box required by DEQ: $150
Cost of urn (a cardboard box with a plastic sack inside): $100

Total I paid to funeral home for basic cremation with no service/memorial: $2350

The wife and I both have prepaid final expenses... not sticking the kids with that!!

BTW: The "shaman" is there to promote his own program, not to say nice things about the deceased. Never been to a traditional funeral that was any different. IMO memorials are ok for those that want them... It's mostly for family and friends, but when my shooting buddy passed, the memorial and burial etc cost his widow $7500... He's gonna catch hell when she next sees him! Funerals suck. How bout a nice wake???

bbbass,

Well apparently, cremation costs are lower here, but when I had my Dad cremated, it cost a whopping $300.00 (1978) and included pickup/delivery/cremation/death certificates. In other words a 'turn key' job...

But, alas, that was then...for sure though, it's still far, far less costly than being buried.

I do have a one time cigar smoking buddy (can't smoke any longer so I don't see him any longer, but he's only a phone call away If I get around to checking on today's cost) whose a local funeral director.

He's the one quoting these prices, though to be sure, it was a few years back when we discussed it.

I asked him who is hismarket is for burial vs cremation?

He allowed the elderly want to be planted and younger folks want cremation.

I asked him why my wife couldn't just throw some old tires on me in the back 40, liberally apply some kerosene and light me up. DIY.

He just grinned and said think 'funeral lobby'...

Side note "Whilst the cost for a direct cremation can vary, it can be conducted in certain areas of the United States for as little as $495. Generally a direct cremation can be conducted for between $695 and $1,095 in most cities if you select an affordable cremation services provider.

A 'direct cremation' means the 'roast' without ancillary service. In other words, just getting roasted with no sides of what a good boy you were or all the other ancillary stuff.

Back to tv shows: leadcounsel's list is right on the money for newer tv shows.

I remember our first TV...we called it Fire....:D
Andy

Haha. Reminds me that most of my childhood we did not have television. We lived too remote to have reception and we didn't have much in the way of assets then anyway. Though one of the brothers worked a summer and acquired an Atari, so somehow a cheap, old set was obtained to attach the aforementioned device. My father, very not politically correct, used to refer to it as Retardi.

My father, very not politically correct, used to refer to it as Retardi.

Sounds like a father! "Bat Man" came along in 1966. I was 11. Dad despised the show, and especially the opening music. He would sing along but he didn't sing it with the right words. He substituted another name for Guano for "Man". :rolleyes: The Series Bat Man should be in an opposite thread of worst shows on TV. Hey, I watched it. What would I know of "Good' TV at 11 with only four broadcast stations?

Side note "Whilst the cost for a direct cremation can vary, it can be conducted in certain areas of the United States for as little as $495. Generally a direct cremation can be conducted for between $695 and $1,095 in most cities if you select an affordable cremation services provider.

A 'direct cremation' means the 'roast' without ancillary service. In other words, just getting roasted with no sides of what a good boy you were or all the other ancillary stuff.

Back to tv shows: leadcounsel's list is right on the money for newer tv shows.

Well, there are only two funeral home/undertaker/crematory services here and lack of competition may be a factor. They gotta make enough to stay in biz, but they do have a guaranteed stream of customers!

Best tv show ever:

Get Smart

Sounds like a father! "Bat Man" came along in 1966. I was 11. Dad despised the show, and especially the opening music. He would sing along but he didn't sing it with the right words. He substituted another name for Guano for "Man". :rolleyes: The Series Bat Man should be in an opposite thread of worst shows on TV. Hey, I watched it. What would I know of "Good' TV at 11 with only four broadcast stations?

Along with "The Monkees"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top