JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hard to say. My son was working the hay fields with his gramps in the coast range a few years back. Gramps (who is vocal about not believing in the big guy) saw what my son described as a man dressed in all black, watching them from a small clump of trees and waist high grass. My kid relates that gramps said "WTF is that?". He is always armed with a rifle for coyotes etc. The fella was clearly sitting on his haunches watching them, July, 80 degrees, no trespass signs everywhere. The old man never raised the rifle, but never took his eyes off the visitor and kept working the tractor. After around 20 minutes my son noticed the watcher was gone. The only conversation they had about the encounter was when they headed out, "If you ever tell anybody what we saw, your crazy".
I don't quite understand why you are characterising the man as a wild man instead of just an ordinary human trespasser. Was he/she/it wearing clothes? How big was it? It's clear from the from the statement about not telling that they thought the creature wasn't human. Why? Can you tell us more?

I don't quite understand why you are characterising the man as a wild man instead of just an ordinary human trespasser. Was he/she/it wearing clothes? How big was it? It's clear from the from the statement about not telling that they thought the creature wasn't human. Why? Can you tell us more?
That's about all my son will say about it, he doesn't seem to like to talk about it much. There is a resident herd of Elk there and poachers have been arrested on the property a few times, even one held at gun point until OSP arrived, but during haying they're pretty scarce until after dark. My son doubts it was a hunter mid afternoon in plain sight. They were probably no more than a couple hundred yards away. We fish the area regularly and have for a while, he was hesitant to leave my side for a long time and was spooked quite regularly for quite while after, we cut a lot of fishing trips short because of it.

Interesting. When I first moved to Oregon four decades ago, I got a book out of the library that was a summary of purported Sasquatch sightings. Some were likely hoaxes, but some seemed pretty real. Especially some of those where it was vague and apparently an uncomfortable subject as to what the guy was doing driving or running around in the woods at night. One Alsea old timer told me there are only two reasons anybody is driving around the woods at night around there. "Either they's runnin' around with somebody else's old lady, or they's poachin'." A lot of the most authentic sounding Sasquatch stories would make better sense if you assumed that the guy or guys were in the woods at night for such reasons.

On my first rabbit trip over east with a few friends years ago I made an impossible shot. These guys had AR's and AK's loaded with 30 rounders, as we came across a rabbit in the clear they proceeded to unload 60 rounds each (180 total) on it, only scaring it further away. I said let the pro take a shot (kidding as this was my first time). So I pulled my $75 beat up Makarov out of the holster and dropped the rabbit at close to 120 yards with a single trigger pull. The rabbit didn't even do the flop thing that they normally do. Everyone just said to each other not to ever piss me off, LOL.

True story - Hunting elk many years ago above Prineville Reservoir kinda on the edge of the Ochocos and we were walking back to the vehicles in the afternoon on the edge of a large meadow below us and a coyote broke out about 175 yards out in the open. Ok the guys are taking pot shots and missing. I raise up (a rifle I should have NEVER sold - an early Remington 700 Classic in 7 MM Mag) and while LEADING the 'yote while it was running squeezed off and the 'yote crumples azz over teakettle. Very little was said about it the rest of the weekend.....

...and there I was, surrounded by a farkin huuuge pack of feral Tibetan Mastifs...

Short story, I pepper sprayed the alpha rite in the Shnoz at zero feet. It ran off, with the pack in its pursuit.

...and I didn't crap my pants!

True story.

...and there I was, surrounded by a farkin huuuge pack of feral Tibetan Mastifs...

Short story, I pepper sprayed the alpha rite in the Shnoz at zero feet. It ran off, with the pack in its pursuit.

...and I didn't crap my pants!

True story.
Where was this? (Where would there be a huge pack of feral Tibetan Mastiffs? Tibet?) What were you doing there. Want to know more.

Where was this? (Where would there be a huge pack of feral Tibetan Mastiffs? Tibet?) What were you doing there. Want to know more.

Yah, Tibet autonomous region 2007. Just outside of the village at the base of Mount Kailesh.

Being towards end of pilgrimage season, I'm thinking the feral dogs were a) not getting hardly any handouts and b) sky burials had greatly diminished due to being end of season...some debate as to wether feral mastifs are involved in the sky burials, as opposed to just carrion birds...after my encounter I tend to believe that the feral dogs are heavily involved.

Truth to the story, I was not technically alone. I came upon an Australian backpacker couple whom were attempting to hitch a ride with anyone (mostly 4x4 tour groups, a bus every few days, and military). Several K outside the village is the crossroads to the main "highway", akin to to a reasonably well kept 2 lane forest service road here in the US, at the time, with similar traffic.

They were both visibly distraught, with there packs setup like a small defensive zone, and a few piles of rocks, when I came upon them. Not sure exactly what was going on I stopped (on my pedal bike) to chat & see what was what.

Thru tears and hitching the woman was telling how they walked down to try and get a lift, but there was a HUGE pack that kept coming at them, and they would nail the more aggressive ones with rocks and then the dogs would head off. Anyways...seemed to be a bad place to be, I couldn't offer them any assistance & them none for myself (moreso if they did get a ride).

So not seeing nor hearing the pack, we wished each other well and I started off again.

It wasn't but a few hundred yards I'd cycled when I started hearing the pack...then seeing the pack bounding over distant burms...headed towards me! FFS!

Hopped off my bike, putting it between most of the coming pack and myself, got the pepper spray I had wisely bought in Ukraine which had sat in the handlebar bag side compression pocket literal for months untouched.

That "highway" had deep gullies both sides for spring runnoff, which most of the pack stayed on the opposite side of, while a few crossed over...mind you all were aggressive though with there attention towards me. The most aggressive, I perceived to be the Alpha or a head Alpha was literally zero distance and going for me, I sprayed him full on in the nose/mouth/eyes...he gave a little squeal turned a 180 and bolted. The entire pack followed at a bolt as well.

I walked my bike back to the Australian couple, whom were more distraught than before (and I was quite shaken up at this point...), we calmed each other down a bit. The fellow, Johno, mentioned that if one had gotten a taste of me, that there would have been zero they could have done to help. I agreed, and mentioned that it wouldn't have been expected, as it would have been 3 people dead instead of just me.

Anyways calmed down a bit, and the Aussie couple being concerned no one would stop for them if they also saw me and my loaded bike, I cycled on. Skipped the next village and stopped at the one after.

Met a Polish couple and an older American woman at the one roadhouse, and they had arranged for a hitch with the Chinese Army in the morning. Sounded like there was room for me and my bike/gear (which thankfully there was!!).

The Australian couple (Chrisi & Johno) turned up in the morning when we all were to meet the mini army convoy (2 trucks). They had hitched a ride in late, and were staying at the other "guest house" in town, unbeknownst to the rest of us.

Anyways, the pack of mastiffs was freakin HUGE. I'd say at least 30 of them, likely more. As I get older I tell the tale at 50 dogs, could be rite for all I know. Doesn't really matter though, as if one had gotten blood, I would have been gone. No question.

Hitched for 2 days in those Chinese Army trucks. 6 westerners split up between the 2, exchanging sitting on each other's laps and such.

I did not cycle hardly at all in Tibet again after that. Left my bike and gear at a guesthouse and bussed it into Lhasa for a few days and bussed back.

Hitched a ride with a young Christian European 4x4 tour group whom thankfully had plenty of room in there rented (guided) rig. It was a surplus Chinese version of a huge extended HUMMV. Road with them to the Nepal boarder.

-oh and as to the why I was there-

I took a year (April '07 to April '08) and went overland Paris to Vietnam. Also made my own Camino route from Paris to St John Pied de Port, and cycled the standard Camino cycle route from there to Santiago on that trip. Sometimes cycling the walking way, but didn't really want to bother the afoot pilgrims too much.

Flew and trained a little bit to keep up with entry Visas. flew Santiago to Vienna, trained acrossed most of Ukraine to Crimea, flew acrossed internal Kahazakstan...couldn't cycle Khazakstan in the 30 days given, plus was robbed at gunpoint by Kazakh police for a "fee" for not having the 72hrs stamp. Had all my pictures, my electronic journal some cash and credit cards stolen from my guest house in Bangkok. So I have about 6 pictures from that trip, my mileage log, and that expired hole punched passport. Some nice Visas in that one! I'll have to check my log, but over 10,000 Km cycled. Seems like a lot, but really not too much over a year.

Last Edited:
I went to Canby rod & gun club with my relatives to do a little target practice along with my blowhard brother in law.
He was shooting at a 4" steel target on the 50 yard line with a 6" 41 mag, and just barely hitting the target.
I pulled a S&W model 36 chief from my pocket and shot his target with a loud ping! He looks at me and says LUCK!
So I took another shot at it and another ping. Needless to say he was very quiet the rest of the day, since he wears his manliness on his sleeve for all to see. Although I had a good day !

Yah, Tibet autonomous region 2007. Just outside of the village at the base of Mount Kailesh.

Being towards end of pilgrimage season, I'm thinking the feral dogs were a) not getting hardly any handouts and b) sky burials had greatly diminished due to being end of season...some debate as to wether feral mastifs are involved in the sky burials, as opposed to just carrion birds...after my encounter I tend to believe that the feral dogs are heavily involved.

Truth to the story, I was not technically alone. I came upon an Australian backpacker couple whom were attempting to hitch a ride with anyone (mostly 4x4 tour groups, a bus every few days, and military). Several K outside the village is the crossroads to the main "highway", akin to to a reasonably well kept 2 lane forest service road here in the US, at the time, with similar traffic.

They were both visibly distraught, with there packs setup like a small defensive zone, and a few piles of rocks, when I came upon them. Not sure exactly what was going on I stopped (on my pedal bike) to chat & see what was what.

Thru tears and hitching the woman was telling how they walked down to try and get a lift, but there was a HUGE pack that kept coming at them, and they would nail the more aggressive ones with rocks and then the dogs would head off. Anyways...seemed to be a bad place to be, I couldn't offer them any assistance & them none for myself (moreso if they did get a ride).

So not seeing nor hearing the pack, we wished each other well and I started off again.

It wasn't but a few hundred yards I'd cycled when I started hearing the pack...then seeing the pack bounding over distant burms...headed towards me! FFS!

Hopped off my bike, putting it between most of the coming pack and myself, got the pepper spray I had wisely bought in Ukraine which had sat in the handlebar bag side compression pocket literal for months untouched.

That "highway" had deep gullies both sides for spring runnoff, which most of the pack stayed on the opposite side of, while a few crossed over...mind you all were aggressive though with there attention towards me. The most aggressive, I perceived to be the Alpha or a head Alpha was literally zero distance and going for me, I sprayed him full on in the nose/mouth/eyes...he gave a little squeal turned a 180 and bolted. The entire pack followed at a bolt as well.

I walked my bike back to the Australian couple, whom were more distraught than before (and I was quite shaken up at this point...), we calmed each other down a bit. The fellow, Johno, mentioned that if one had gotten a taste of me, that there would have been zero they could have done to help. I agreed, and mentioned that it wouldn't have been expected, as it would have been 3 people dead instead of just me.

Anyways calmed down a bit, and the Aussie couple being concerned no one would stop for them if they also saw me and my loaded bike, I cycled on. Skipped the next village and stopped at the one after.

Met a Polish couple and an older American woman at the one roadhouse, and they had arranged for a hitch with the Chinese Army in the morning. Sounded like there was room for me and my bike/gear (which thankfully there was!!).

The Australian couple (Chrisi & Johno) turned up in the morning when we all were to meet the mini army convoy (2 trucks). They had hitched a ride in late, and were staying at the other "guest house" in town, unbeknownst to the rest of us.

Anyways, the pack of mastiffs was freakin HUGE. I'd say at least 30 of them, likely more. As I get older I tell the tale at 50 dogs, could be rite for all I know. Doesn't really matter though, as if one had gotten blood, I would have been gone. No question.

Hitched for 2 days in those Chinese Army trucks. 6 westerners split up between the 2, exchanging sitting on each other's laps and such.

I did not cycle hardly at all in Tibet again after that. Left my bike and gear at a guesthouse and bussed it into Lhasa for a few days and bussed back.

Hitched a ride with a young Christian European 4x4 tour group whom thankfully had plenty of room in there rented (guided) rig. It was a surplus Chinese version of a huge extended HUMMV. Road with them to the Nepal boarder.

-oh and as to the why I was there-

I took a year (April '07 to April '08) and went overland Paris to Vietnam. Also made my own Camino route from Paris to St John Pied de Port, and cycled the standard Camino cycle route from there to Santiago on that trip. Sometimes cycling the walking way, but didn't really want to bother the afoot pilgrims too much.

Flew and trained a little bit to keep up with entry Visas. flew Santiago to Vienna, trained acrossed most of Ukraine to Crimea, flew acrossed internal Kahazakstan...couldn't cycle Khazakstan in the 30 days given, plus was robbed at gunpoint by Kazakh police for a "fee" for not having the 72hrs stamp. Had all my pictures, my electronic journal some cash and credit cards stolen from my guest house in Bangkok. So I have about 6 pictures from that trip, my mileage log, and that expired hole punched passport. Some nice Visas in that one! I'll have to check my log, but over 10,000 Km cycled. Seems like a lot, but really not too much over a year.
Wow. Great story. Thanks for sharing it. Good job having the pepper spray. Sounds like without it that would have been all she wrote.

Wow. Great story. Thanks for sharing it. Good job having the pepper spray. Sounds like without it that would have been all she wrote.

Yah, not sure rocks would have worked too well solo. Maybe a goodly sized one, at that "Alpha" just rite...but then the pack would have continued to stay in the area. The way it went down, with the "Alpha" taking off the way it did, leading the pack off...really a good bit of luck stacked up! ...Not having the pepper spray confiscated at multiple boarder crossings ...

Edit: 11,818 Km cycled that entire trip.

Mastiff attack was cycling day 112. Oct 24th 2006, outside the village Darchen, down by the south crossroads.

Trip was April 2006-April 2007, funny as time goes on I keep thinking it was 07-08!!

Last Edited:
ESP, extra-sensory-perception was a big topic when I was growing up. I always thought it was horse-hockey, and was never surprised when these charlatans like Yuri Gellar or Jean Dixon(?) were exposed. And then there are the therapists who claim they can read into your past lives to find out what your psychological wounding is. <insert your favorite string of profanities here> Don't get me started....
But yeah, I have had my share of experiences that people would call whacked-out: knowing who was calling when the phone rang back in the early '80's, out of body experiences - waking up in different places I'd never been before, hundreds of miles away, and being able to describe the place in minute detail to the person who owned it and have them confirm (wanna make people think you're weird, try that!). Those are just a few.
The ones that have really rocked me to my core are dreams. I have very vivid dreams, many that reference prior dreams, where going to sleep is like stepping into a whole new world. Four have predicted the future, two came true, and in the other two, I am much older than now.
The ones that predict the future have a completely different aura than my regular dreams.
When my ex was first pregnant, we always instructed the ultrasonic technician, "we do NOT want to know the sex." One night talking as we are drifting off to sleep, my ex asks, "will the baby be a boy or girl?" That night, I dreamt of a blonde boy with bright blue eyes, running toward me as I'm looking into the sunset. Based on other children we knew, I expected him to be almost 24 months old in the dream.
The next morning, I told her, a beautiful boy with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She said, "yeah, right." His hair has darkened a bit, but some of you may have met him at this past weekend's cleanup.
At 6 months, he developed an allergic form of ulcerative colitis, and by one year, had dropped from 100th percentile in height and weight to 7th and 5th, respectively, when he was finally diagnosed. I'd prefer to never relive the ordeal of having a very sick child, but when a child drops precipitously in the charts like that for no apparent reason, the pediatricians start interrogating (literally) both parents, separately, to rule out Munchausen by Proxy. By the time he was two, the scene of the dream hadn't happened, so I just figured, it was just a dream.
Fast forward a few years and two more children, the twins are four, my boy is six, and we are playing at a favorite park of theirs, just after lunch on a beautiful summer day. Though on medication, he's very small for his age, and being autistic, still in diapers.
Time to go, I finish getting the twins ready to go, kneeling down in the bark chips. I turn south and call out to him with my arms outstretched, and he starts running towards me. BAM!! - there it is! A shaft of light through the canopy of oaks completely illuminated a red maple, making it look like the sunset.
He reaches me and my oldest daughter, ten, asks, "daddy, why are you crying?"

Here's one I heard from an Alsea, Oregon old timer. When he told it, he used specific names for the family, the boy, and the deputy sheriff, and told me a lot about the deputy. So I believe it's a true story. It dates from an era of duress, I think WWII. It concerns a family in Alsea Valley, which is in the middle of the coastal mountains west of Corvallis. There was a mother with several children, her husband away to war. The family was surviving almost entirely on deer poached by the seventeen-year-old, the oldest boy. Everyone knew the family was struggling, and the kid was the primary provider.

One night the boy went out and took a deer, as usual, and put it in his battered old pickup truck and covered it with a load of wood he carried for the purpose. When he was driving home on the highway, however, he got pulled over by the local deputy sheriff. The boy got out and stood next to the load of wood as he talked with the sheriff. The problem was one of his tail lights was out. But the smell of deer and blood was powerful. The boy was terrified. How could the deputy possibly not smell the deer? Then the kid looked down, and noticed, to his horror, that the carcass had leaked enough blood so that some of it had leaked through the bed of the truck right next to the deputy's feet! "Don't look down. Please God, don't look down," the boy was praying.

The deputy chewed the kid out for the tail light. But then he said, "Well, I'll just give you a warning this time," and turned and went back toward his car. The kid was elated, but also a little smug. He had kept his cool and fooled the deputy.

But then, as the deputy got in his car, he called out this parting shot, "Now you drive carefully. And get that load of wood home before it bleeds to death."
That is one awesome story! I'm sure that kid had a lot more gratitude and respect for the officers kindnes and humanity

Here's one I heard from an Alsea, Oregon old timer. When he told it, he used specific names for the family, the boy, and the deputy sheriff, and told me a lot about the deputy. So I believe it's a true story. It dates from an era of duress, I think WWII. It concerns a family in Alsea Valley, which is in the middle of the coastal mountains west of Corvallis. There was a mother with several children, her husband away to war. The family was surviving almost entirely on deer poached by the seventeen-year-old, the oldest boy. Everyone knew the family was struggling, and the kid was the primary provider.

One night the boy went out and took a deer, as usual, and put it in his battered old pickup truck and covered it with a load of wood he carried for the purpose. When he was driving home on the highway, however, he got pulled over by the local deputy sheriff. The boy got out and stood next to the load of wood as he talked with the sheriff. The problem was one of his tail lights was out. But the smell of deer and blood was powerful. The boy was terrified. How could the deputy possibly not smell the deer? Then the kid looked down, and noticed, to his horror, that the carcass had leaked enough blood so that some of it had leaked through the bed of the truck right next to the deputy's feet! "Don't look down. Please God, don't look down," the boy was praying.

The deputy chewed the kid out for the tail light. But then he said, "Well, I'll just give you a warning this time," and turned and went back toward his car. The kid was elated, but also a little smug. He had kept his cool and fooled the deputy.

But then, as the deputy got in his car, he called out this parting shot, "Now you drive carefully. And get that load of wood home before it bleeds to death."
That is one awesome story! I'm sure that kid had a lot more gratitude and respect for the officers kindnes and humanity

Tibet autonomous region 2007. .

They were putting the road in the year before. Here's 2006.
tibet_2006.jpg

tibet_road.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews