Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best Tactical/Defensive Books and DVDs?

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by emanon, May 13, 2009.

1. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

First the somewhat long-winded disclaimer:
    I solidly believe that the best way to acquire and retain usable tactical/defensive skills is through scenario-based training with quality instructors that starts with the "basics" and complementing such training with regular practice, both ideally done under conditions as close to reality as is possible without the significant risk of serious injury. I participate in such training and practice as often as is permitted by my limited budget, full schedule and other considerations such as the availability of such training to non-LEOs.
    In other words, nowhere near as often as I'd like to. :eek:

With all of that out of the way here is my question: What do you consider to be the best available books and DVDs on the defensive/tactical use of firearms and/or other defensive tools?

2. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

John Farnam - Method of Defensive Handgunning

Gabe Suarez - Both pistol & rifle

Kyle Lamb - Green Eyes & Black Rifles

That will give you a good start, without overload.

3. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Books: Understanding Oregon Gun Laws - Kevin Starrett...the best book right now on use of force and Oregon conceal carry/firearms laws. I fully concur with wichaka, John Farnam's book on The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning will help you reviewing your use of force, defensive strategy, tactics, and defensive manual of arms. These can all be purchased from one of the forums sponsors www.ofagear.com

I'd get Clint Smith's DVDs from Thunder Ranch - www.thunderranchinc.com

4. wichaka

Yep, about anything from Clint will be good as well.

There are many author/instructors out there....just need to be careful of their backgrounds and methods.

5. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

+1 to the above recommendations and check out Magpul Dynamics' Art of the Tactical Carbine

Part two should be coming out shortly

6. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

Thanks for the replies! So far I have the books from Starrett, Farnam and Suarez. I'll keep my eye's open for the other options mentioned. :)

7. wichaka

...and there's so much one can do when training without firing a round.

8. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

9. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  10. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

I'd add Ayoob's Gun Digest Books of Concealed Carry and Combat Handgunnery to the list, also In the Gravest Extreme.

If you're gonna tote iron in WA, Workman's Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities is bottom-line a must-have, plain and simple.