JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They want to visit a third world country? I wouldn't recommend staying downtown or anywhere east of the Willamette. If they must stay downtown, any hotel with secured parking is a must if they have a rental car. There are nice hotels downtown, BUT you are downtown....

I recommend any of the Westside Burbs before downtown. Greenbriar area of Beaverton right off of Hwy 26 has some decent hotels.

Last Edited:
What activities are they planning?

I would avoid staying downtown myself, but if you must, somewhere with a secured parking garage like The Hilton.

Eastside is f'd, and always has been. Westside, like Beaverton is slightly better depending. Lake Oswego is a bit further, but nicer.

Just set your expectations correctly. Expect your car to get broken into at a minimum, and possibly cat converter stolen. Maybe even stabbed or shot, depending on your luck. But definitely expect police to be powerless, or even careless about it.

"is there a hotel in a safe area near downtown?" ''

It's the one with Unicorns grazing on the lawn out front. Can't miss it!

https___dogoday.com_wp-content_uploads_getty-images_2019_09_1162213832.jpeg

-Robert

Just want to echo the other sentiment. We recently had family from back east come to visit. They rented an Air B&B in the St. John's area. That is as close to downtown as we could think for them to be safe and be in the city.

If they didn't stay there, we would have made them stay with us on the Westside in Beaverton.

What activities are they planning?

I would avoid staying downtown myself, but if you must, somewhere with a secured parking garage like The Hilton.

Eastside is f'd, and always has been. Westside, like Beaverton is slightly better depending. Lake Oswego is a bit further, but nicer.

Just set your expectations correctly. Expect your car to get broken into at a minimum, and possibly cat converter stolen. Maybe even stabbed or shot, depending on your luck. But definitely expect police to be powerless, or even careless about it.

View attachment 1171002

-Robert
They're going to a show at the Moda center. I think they are looking at staying on the WA side maybe Camas so they can easily hit I84 E to get home.

During my time in Portland I was downtown for work daily, usually multiple locations, hauling very expensive gear in my personal vehicle. I mainly parked on the street and often had overnight shifts. I will say that I never had an issue in hundreds of trips; the worst that ever happened was a homeless individual squirting ketchup on my truck's hood.

After work my friends and I would often hang out downtown and didn't have any problems, even by Burnside.

Yes there are risks like any bigger city, but I felt much safer in Portland than I do in Seattle, St. Paul, Chicago, etc.

Portland is such a great place to be... if you're belligerently ignorant, highly self centered, a drug addict, and/or a criminal.

-Robert

They're going to a show at the Moda center. I think they are looking at staying on the WA side maybe Camas so they can easily hit I84 E to get home.
My recommendation would be to stay in WA and commute down. You might add 10 minutes to the venue commute, but security/safety being paramount, it's worth it. There are some nice hotels still in operation downtown, but the local environment creates a lot of unnecessary and avoidable risk.

My recommendation would be to stay in WA and commute down. You might add 10 minutes to the venue commute, but security/safety being paramount, it's worth it. There are some nice hotels still in operation downtown, but the local environment creates a lot of unnecessary and avoidable risk.
That's the plan we settled on. Thanks

When my wife's work sends her to downtown Seattle, they put her up in one of those fancy hotels with valet and good food options within the hotel, and she doesn't leave the hotel at all.

That's the only way I'd stay in Seattle or Portland, hunkered down in a fancy hotel

Last time I was there, Tacoma wasn't that bad. There were a couple of isolated RV camps on the south side I noticed, but downtown was pretty clean.
Like so many places it depends on the date and place. Tacoma downtown was for a LONG time a place you did not want to be after dark. LOT's of business there but you did NOT want to live there. Some bought up property, then passed laws to chase off a lot of the scum so they could make money. They chased the scum to other parts of the city of course. East side has long been the worst, gangs. Some parts kind of central where a lot of the people Wife works with live are old working class neighborhoods. Most crime there is theft from dope scum. The one guy was telling me he can't even leave his garden hose out in summer. If he forgets its gone. Anything not nailed down or behind a fence is stolen. One "tell" for a neighborhood is to go through a few times and watch for the Pit population. The parts to avoid tend to have a LOT of them. If you ever watch that show Cops, a LARGE part of it was filmed in Lakewood. Suburb next to Tacoma. When they incorporated they stopped letting them film there as they felt if "put them in a bad light" :D
It is still a higher crime area in a lot of it.

When my wife's work sends her to downtown Seattle, they put her up in one of those fancy hotels with valet and good food options within the hotel, and she doesn't leave the hotel at all.

That's the only way I'd stay in Seattle or Portland, hunkered down in a fancy hotel
When I see that, kind of reminds me of those compounds in 3d world countries. A safe space from the scum all around. How sad this is what it come to in the country and to cities that not long ago were such great places to live. I hope the voters there who did this are happy with what they did to themselves. :mad:

The fam is heading there without me. Like the title says, is there a hotel in a safe area near downtown? Any to avoid? Price isn't a consideration.

Thought I'd ask the locals.
I would stay at the Hyatt Regency at the Convention center, park onsite and walk to/from the event. While Portland isn't as safe as it used to be, allowing the media and the minority of bad actors in the city to dictate the narrative only helps add fuel to the problem. Whether you stay in PDX local to the Moda Center or outside town, you still have to travel to the event and depart from it, you avoid very little by staying outside the area.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top