JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Title says it all. I want to hear from everyone out there what (in your opinions) the best options for a pocket pistol are. I like the Kahr's and I am not opposed to .380 (I usually carry a G30 or G19) but would kind of like to stick to a TRUE POCKET sized pistol. I want a "throw it in my pocket to make a quick run out" pistol that I don't have to worry about throwing on a belt or changing shirts.

I will tell you I have held the LCP and I DO NOT find that it fits me well at all...I have very large hands (Put a Hogue grip on my G21 so it fits me better) and the Ruger is just not a good fit though I think they fit in the category of what I am looking at though I will most likely not go with that particular pistol because of the inadequate grip size (even among pocket pistols).

So let me know what you have and what your thoughts are on the Kahr's (size and quality) along with the other pocket favorites out there!

I carry a Kimber .45 with laser on my strong side, but I also carry a NAA in .22 WinMag in the off side. It's not much but who wants to be shot at all? The NAA is no first shot stopper (neither is a .45 guaranteed) but what you have is better than what is on the shelf at home!
I also carry a .44 special with CT laser in my car and a .380 in my bathrobe pocket.
If I knew I was going to be in a gunfight I'd bring an AR or, for close in, one of my Win 1300's.

I have a couple Kahr's, one 9mm (PM9 w/CT laser) a P45 (w/CT laser) and a CW45. I've found I shoot the .45's better. The 9mm is pretty snappy and smaller making it harder to hold on to. Haven't had a problem with any of the Kahr's but the trigger pull is hard to get used to as it's quite long, but they do go "bang" when needed.

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

Well I was going to suggest the Sig P238 until your comment about having large hands. I'm not sure you are going to find an ideal fit and still have it be a true pocket pistol.

As for Kahr pistols. I have a K9 and really like it but it is not a pocket pistol. I have also shot a PM40 that belonged to a friend. Other than a .454 Cascul I shot recently I found it to be the my second least favorite pistol to shoot. That small of a pistol in that cartridge is very snappy and with the polymer frame it didn't always go into battery. Also the standard 6 round magazine doesnt leave much to hold onto. I have shot and owned lots of other polymer pistols,included a a 10mm Glock (G29 I believe), without difficulty or limp wristing them. If you are seriously considering a Kahr I would stick to 9mm or .380 if you want something that small.

I would recommend avoiding the S&W bodyguard 380 as it has the worst trigger pull I have ever seen. I had one briefly and it had a trigger pull of at least 11lbs and it didn't break until the trigger was in contact with the frame.

I find that a S&W 642 works very well in my pocket, but I don't shoot it as well. Something about the shape and curves make it not print as much. A PM9 is slightly bigger, but I shoot it better, so it generally goes along for the ride. Both go in a Desantis Nemesis holster. The PM9 also rides nicely in a Mitch Rosen holster clipped into my waistband. Really depends on my activity and what I'm wearing that day.

I used to have a Kel-Tec P3AT - super easy to carry, but I couldn't hit squat with that gun. And, although it never malfunctioned, I never entirely trusted it.

Pocket pistol - mouse gun.

Largest - Ruger LCP w/ shoot from wallet setup, back pocket

Smallest - SeeCamp 380, front, back, anything

I am talking specifically about a gun to literally carry in your pocket, not in any holster.

2 guns I carry, routinely, in a pocket holster (not at the same time....) are my Kahr PM9 or S&W 642 Airweight. I like both, for different reasons. I will say that the 642 rides better (does not tilt forward). I believe this because it's not "top heavy" like the semi-auto is.

I carry a Glock 26 mostly but when Im wearing shorts or don't want to bother with a iwb holster I carry a Kel-Tec 380 in a Remora pocket holster. It makes the gun look like a walet and always keeps it in place. I have large hands also, and the Kel Tek or the LCP dont feel good and are not fun to shoot. I think the last thing on your mind if you had to use it would be how it "felt".

Diamondback DB9 is still pocketsize, but shoots the 9mm luger, and is slightly larger gripwise than the truly tiny DB380. They also both generally look like miniature glocks in certain ways. I carried around a DB9 for a long time, but traded it for a DB380 for maximum concealment. It's my backup/swimsuit CCW.

I carry a Sig Sauer P232 in a Desantis holster in my pocket. A bit big and heavy, but I like it better than the LCP, Kahr's and the smaller pocket pistols . It has the butt release (I also had issues with the magazine release button), 7 shot clip and I really like the decocker (no safety to think about, just pull the trigger) and the trigger feel. SA/DA, blow back design (does kick a bit, but it's only a 380), very accurate out to 15 yards once you find the ammo it likes. Simple to clean and maintain. There's a couple good YouTube videos on it. While the 24 oz weight for the stainless version is a bit high, it can handle any ammo you can buy, where you might have to be a bit more selective with the Aluminum version. It's the nicest small pistol I've shot. While it spends it's life concealed, when it does come out, I think it's one of the nicest looking pistols around.

Big hands? I have a BRF 45-70 revolver my little finger doesn't touch the base and part of the next hangs off, obviously I had to modified the grip to fit especially with 405 gr.lead. I have a gorilla glue grip however so while not fun, shooting mouse guns isn't an issue. Headed out to the OK corral, or the range, take your 1911 or whatever feels right, but if your headed out to pick up dinner in your cutoffs I wouldnt worry about hand comfort or accuracy just reliability after all mouse guns are for up close last resort, trapped like a rat, otherwise flight first. A keltec p32 will litterly fit in your shirt pocket, none lighter, mines never jambed but pocket carry can somtimes release the clip. nearly the same ballistics as my 380 and am told with some +p (dont practice with) you can get 15" of gelliten penatration. Of coarse for nearly thirty years now I've never left home without my NAA 22mag revolver in my pocket. Stick that to someones face and pull the trigger then try opine on its uselessness. FLIGHT FIRST. Prepared always.

Title says it all. I want to hear from everyone out there what (in your opinions) the best options for a pocket pistol are. I like the Kahr's and I am not opposed to .380 (I usually carry a G30 or G19) but would kind of like to stick to a TRUE POCKET sized pistol. I want a "throw it in my pocket to make a quick run out" pistol that I don't have to worry about throwing on a belt or changing shirts.

I will tell you I have held the LCP and I DO NOT find that it fits me well at all...I have very large hands (Put a Hogue grip on my G21 so it fits me better) and the Ruger is just not a good fit though I think they fit in the category of what I am looking at though I will most likely not go with that particular pistol because of the inadequate grip size (even among pocket pistols).

So let me know what you have and what your thoughts are on the Kahr's (size and quality) along with the other pocket favorites out there!

I have a ruger LCP that I carry on occasion. I have come to the conclusion that if I'm going to carry a gun I strap on the belt and bladetech and carry my Glock 23. It takes just a few minutes and I can conceal it with anything I wear, even cargo shorts and a Carhartt T. I also carry a reload in the weakside front pocket.

The ruger LCP is a interesting little gun. I have put quite a few rounds through mine. It's very accurate, I had reliability issues with mine that seem to be resolved. The trigger guard beats the crap out of my finger.

I think if I were going to buy another gun for pocket carry it wouldn't be a LCP. I would get the Springfirld XDS. I played with one at Wholesale a month or so ago and it is really a nice weapon. Some will say it's too large for pocket carry and maybe it is, I can fit it in my cargo which I wear all the time so for me it's a non-issue.

Not sure I will be buying anymore pocket guns though. As I said, I just strap on the Glock 23. It does everything I need a pistol to do.

Kel-Tek P3AT w/ Crimson Trace laser and DeSantis G5 pocket holster. Practice loaded and dry fire with the laser and in a few weeks you'll be able to use the dinky sights effectively and pull the DA trigger smoothly without disturbing the point of aim.

You may not think so now, but you do want a pocket holster. Safety, comfort, reliable draw and, as mentioned, way less wear on your clothes. If you're taking the time to load the gun, it's trivial to stick it in the holster before you pocket it. If you store it loaded, store it in the holster. Problem solved.

LCP is a great pocket carry at a decent price.

It really is. I really do forget I'm carrying mine. My wife has appropriated it now for the most part. There were a couple situations last summer in Gifford Pinchot where I was carrying the LCP and it felt very " light " , as in maybe not enough gun. I have nothing against the 380 and as a matter of fact have been impressed at what it can do while target shooting in the woods. It's certainly not like throwing rocks.

I'm surprised no one has mentiond a 5-shot .22 magnum NAA pocket revolver. One of those has been my everyday deep-carry pistol for nearly 20 years. Its small holster fits not only the pistol, but 10 extra rounds, which can all be worn in even a pair of shorts without printing. I can also carry it in a small fanny pack (like while hiking) along with a wallet, phone, keys, and Leatherman.

Keith

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews