JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking for a good "home defense" shotgun. I was looking for a pump, I think semi-auto is kind of pricey, and I like the “scare Factor” when you action a pump in an other wise quiet house. Lol
I was leaning toward the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 590. I like the Mossberg that it holds 9 shells, not sure what the Remington can hold. I’ve shot both and I like both of them, but I’m not sure if there is something out there that is superior to these or if I’m missing something. Price isn’t to much of a factor, but I don’t want to spend an arm and leg if I don’t have to. I want something that’s reliable and easy to clean and shoot.

I have a mossy 590. I like it. Now, is it the best? For me, yes because I own it. I might say the same thing if I had a Remington. Everytime I have shot it....it has gone bang and that is pretty much all I am concerned with.

zweasle, I've been doing research for a similar purchase. I will likely purchase the Benelli Supernova Tactical, with the ComforTech stock and the Ghost Ring sights (model 20155).

I researched the Remington 870 and it seemed that perhaps newer models were not as good (tendency to jam). I dunno. It did come up though in my research, whereas the Benelli seemed to have no complaints.

As an aside, the recommended ammo seems to be a 9-pellet (00 buck shot) shell.

Peter

590 & 870 are both great HD shotguns, but the idea of scare factor when cocking a pump shotgun is way over rated.
LOL, it may be over rated but it worked for me once. Would be thief heard it and ran, never got a good look at his front side.
On the other hand, a would be assailant looked down the barrel of a 357 mag and held his ground for a few (~15) seconds before rationalizing a retreat.
So I guess the only generalization to make is that generalizations cannot be made.

OBTW, I have a Mossy 500. Either shotgun is as good IMHO, to me they border on identical in form/function. The safety is in different locations so I would recommend getting the one with safety in the more natural position for you. I am a leftie and the mossy works better for me.

Poor? Mossberg 500
Rich? Benelli M4 with ext titanium tube; SBR; collapsed stock;

Kind of like golf and golf clubs though. Skill more important than the device.

I have six shotguns, the one I have set for home defense is a Win 1300 Coastal Mariner, folding stock, loaded with 12 Aguila minishells. No worries about corrosion and the 1300 is the only pump/auto recommended for use with the minishells. I take this shotgun in the MH when we go and there's less chance of overpenetration with the miniswhells but still good at short range (over 1200 fps) plus I can load 12 rather than 5.

I have a stock 870 express HD. I've taken a couple of shotgun classes and am impressed with the skills of good shotgun operators. But I feel like I am missing something. I really cannot imagine clearing or moving through my house with a long gun. How do you more experienced folks see using your shotgun in a HD situation, other than defending a safe room?

I have a stock 870 express HD. I've taken a couple of shotgun classes and am impressed with the skills of good shotgun operators. But I feel like I am missing something. I really cannot imagine clearing or moving through my house with a long gun. How do you more experienced folks see using your shotgun in a HD situation, other than defending a safe room?

get a speedfeed chicken head grip, I prefer the mossberg since it's a bit lighter, but here was my HD gun

IMAG0010-1.jpg

Since then its evolved into this

IMAG0368.jpg

The stock I have on there can get really close to the pistol grip, so if you can shorten up the stock, making it down your hallway should be easier.

get a speedfeed chicken head grip, I prefer the mossberg since it's a bit lighter, but here was my HD gun

IMAG0010-1.jpg

Since then its evolved into this

IMAG0368.jpg

The stock I have on there can get really close to the pistol grip, so if you can shorten up the stock, making it down your hallway should be easier.

Is that an AR stock, and how is it adapted? Pardon my ignorance...

I really like the 870 "home defense" (tactical) BiMart has for approx $312 on sale.

I used an 870 Express for a long time before switching to the .357. But, like someone else said, had I gone w/ Mossberg from the outset I'd probably be a Mossberg fan. They must be highly comparable, it seems to be 50/50 Remington/Mossberg out there.